So far so good, 6 tangs, 2 angles, and some friends

tangs rule

Well, last nite and this morning, both sets of fish that were in isolation are now in the 475g. The current fish stock list is:
Achillies tang (4.5")
Naso tang (6")
Powder blue tang (6")
Blue (hippo) tang (7")
Purple tang (6")
Orange shoulder tang (2.5") <new>
Bluegirdled angle (3") <new>
Longnose Butterfly (4.5") <new>
Coral beauty dwarf angle (2") <new>
Scooter blenney (3") <new>
Black sailfin blenny (3")
2 ea six line wrasses (1.5") <new>
Mating pair Ocellaris clown (1.5")
Large adult maroon clown (4")
3 yellow tail blue damsels (1") <meanest fish in the tank> lol
There was some tension when I put the orangeshoulder tang into the big tank.....All the other tangs kinda freaked out - got agressive, and I was immediatley afraid things wern't gonna work, so I killed the lights and chased the original tangs a little with a net, then got it very dark in the room and called it a day. This morning, the orange shoulder is one of the gang, feeding and swimming laps with the other tangs, no signs of agression AT ALL!

The Navarchus (blue girdled angle) spends alot of time kinda in the back of the tank, but that's to be epxected, as the tangs wear the front glass out due to constant begging. The coral beauty roams around exploring so far today, and the wrasses seem to be doing some sort of dance/display with each other, not agressive but kinda exploratory - maybe I got a male & female

Everyone's eating as usual, and so far today - getting along just fine.

aquaknight

Thanks for the update! The big PB is impressive, and the Navarchus is a favorite, as to be expected
Time for more angels though! Something in the Chaetodontoplus or Apolemichthys genra, for sure

flower

If you ever get tired of that beautiful tank and fish...I would be very happy to help you out and keep it a few 7 to 10 years for you...LOL I just love your powder blue....my little 90g just couldn't house one.
Very nice

tangs rule

Thank YOU ALL for the nice comments. It's alot of work, and so far the fish have not thanked me for moving them into a small pool from the tiny puddles (by comparison) they were living in. (a 125g now seems tiny - like a sump). They are all getting along just fine, no one has issues with anyone else.
As far as the corals go - it's gonna be years for them to grow out to make a real reef looking thing - this damn tank is so big, it just swallows up 60, 100, 150 dollar coral frags and makes them look like nano-frags :( I just dont have the funds to buy retail frags the size of a vollyball or dinner plate.
A nice orange plate:

A stunning green eye chalice: (my fav)

A nice sea fan:

I guess this thread is kinda the new thread for the 475 build - the original one got kinda long. I wish I had a better camera - it's hard to get descent pictures.

S

siptang

i love your tank! but one thing i noticed was that your purple tang looks like it has a head erosion... i hope it's just my mistake.

btldreef

I noticed that about the Purple Tang as well and wanted to comment on it.
The tank is beautiful. That angel is behaving with the corals?
Is there any way for your to get a full tank shot? I'd love to see an updated FTS. LOVE this tank so much!

tangs rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siptang http:///forum/thread/386050/so-far-so-good-6-tangs-2-angles-and-some-friends#post_3390045
i love your tank! but one thing i noticed was that your purple tang looks like it has a head erosion... i hope it's just my mistake.
My purple tang and the hippo both have moderate HLLE. This happened over the course of a couple years, when i was in a nasty job that required toooo much travel (weeks at a time), and I was forced to rely on freinds to keep up with daily feedings and I also had to run alot of carbon. Poor diet, with alot of carbon & poor water quality over 24 months really did some damage to the guys. I got out of that job almost a year ago and that's when their diet improved, but since going into the 475 I've really noticed them starting to heal up.
I just couldn't burden my friends & family to not only take care of the 2 dogs, but babysit the fish, thaw & feed 2-3x per day, do waterchanges, and spend the time required to screw with them too. I don't have a spouse or kids, and i just hated having to have mom&dad or freinds come over everyday, even once a day to keep up with so much....So a diet of pellet, flake, and dried nori, plus extra carbon is a pretty sure way to get hlle... And small tanks (125, 100, 90) didn't help either. Their diet for the past year has been more normal, with exclusively frozen preps like rods, marine cusine, emerald entree, mysis, untoasted nori, and vitamin supplement like selcon, the Hlle is on the retreat, but it's a nice big tank with no carbon that's made the biggest difference. I've noticed MUCH healthier fishes since getting them into the 475. The blonde naso had no hlle - but his growth was stunted some in a 100g tank, casue within a month of him being in the big tank - his tail grew NOTICABLY bigger and started getting streamers.
All of the tangs these days seem to have grown a little in the 3 months they've been in the 475 and I'd guess by the fall, the signs of HLLE will about be gone. (assuming I don't have to travel 300+ days/year). I almost got out of fishtanks about the time that job ended, cause it was such a bummer to come home after being on the road for 2-3 weeks, have to do 3 waterchanges, catch up with laundry & other crap, visit the folks & dogs, then go back out after only a weekend of off time.
Full shot pics comming

btldreef

Ahh, relying on friends. I learned not to do that the hard way as well. Just curious, but don't want to get the thread off on the wrong track, do you have before and after shots? It's nice to know there's hope for sick fish sometimes.

tangs rule

The tanks a little cloudy as I just cleaned 1/2 the walls, and did a partial coral feeding (Saturdays & Wednesdays).
Here is the LTA that has 2times now made it into the strainer and tried to commit suicide - he's gonna be fine, although he still looks kinda molested, I call him franken-anemone:

And a skunk cleaner cleaning a rockskipper blenny:

S

siptang

Let's switch tanks lol.
Yea, I hear you man.
I have a purple tang that had hlle as well. I had stray watts running in the water from my UV for about a week when I was away for like a week and a half.
Got a ground probe and everything was a ok.
Good to hear that all is well.

tangs rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siptang http:///forum/thread/386050/so-far-so-good-6-tangs-2-angles-and-some-friends#post_3390099
Let's switch tanks lol.

Yea, I hear you man.
I have a purple tang that had hlle as well. I had stray watts running in the water from my UV for about a week when I was away for like a week and a half.
Got a ground probe and everything was a ok.
Good to hear that all is well.
Whenever I have to scrub the walls, or mix 60 gal sw for a w/c I'm more open to trading down
A couple weeks ago some detergent residue got into the thing thru some filter socks, and I had to do ~ 250 gal of w/c in 1 week....I was ready to puke, cause the detergent contained an anti-foam agent and my skimmers flat QUIT making skimate, and I was having to do water changes to keep the nitrates down, and remove the detergent. . That was a PITA.