So we get free money from the IRS!!!!!!!

scubadoo

Originally Posted by peef
And I ask again, what have we accomplished? What good has come of this war recently other than Bush nabbin Suddam?
Written by Bush war critics..
A War We Just Might Win
By MICHAEL E. O’HANLON and KENNETH M. POLLACK
July 30, 2007 OP-ED CONTRIBUTOR Washington http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/30/op...gewanted=print
VIEWED from Iraq, where we just spent eight days meeting with American and Iraqi military and civilian personnel, the political debate in Washington is surreal. The Bush administration has over four years lost essentially all credibility. Yet now the administration’s critics, in part as a result, seem unaware of the significant changes taking place. Here is the most important thing Americans need to understand: We are finally getting somewhere in Iraq, at least in military terms. As two analysts who have harshly criticized the Bush administration’s miserable handling of Iraq, we were surprised by the gains we saw and the potential to produce not necessarily “victory” but a sustainable stability that both we and the Iraqis could live with. After the furnace-like heat, the first thing you notice when you land in Baghdad is the morale of our troops. In previous trips to Iraq we often found American troops angry and frustrated — many sensed they had the wrong strategy, were using the wrong tactics and were risking their lives in pursuit of an approach that could not work. Today, morale is high. The soldiers and marines told us they feel that they now have a superb commander in Gen. David Petraeus; they are confident in his strategy, they see real results, and they feel now they have the numbers needed to make a real difference. Everywhere, Army and Marine units were focused on securing the Iraqi population, working with Iraqi security units, creating new political and economic arrangements at the local level and providing basic services — electricity, fuel, clean water and sanitation — to the people. Yet in each place, operations had been appropriately tailored to the specific needs of the community. As a result, civilian fatality rates are down roughly a third since the surge began — though they remain very high, underscoring how much more still needs to be done. In Ramadi, for example, we talked with an outstanding Marine captain whose company was living in harmony in a complex with a (largely Sunni) Iraqi police company and a (largely Shiite) Iraqi Army unit. He and his men had built an Arab-style living room, where he met with the local Sunni sheiks — all formerly allies of Al Qaeda and other jihadist groups — who were now competing to secure his friendship. In Baghdad’s Ghazaliya neighborhood, which has seen some of the worst sectarian combat, we walked a street slowly coming back to life with stores and shoppers. The Sunni residents were unhappy with the nearby police checkpoint, where Shiite officers reportedly abused them, but they seemed genuinely happy with the American soldiers and a mostly Kurdish Iraqi Army company patrolling the street. The local Sunni militia even had agreed to confine itself to its compound once the Americans and Iraqi units arrived. We traveled to the northern cities of Tal Afar and Mosul. This is an ethnically rich area, with large numbers of Sunni Arabs, Kurds and Turkmens. American troop levels in both cities now number only in the hundreds because the Iraqis have stepped up to the plate. Reliable police officers man the checkpoints in the cities, while Iraqi Army troops cover the countryside. A local mayor told us his greatest fear was an overly rapid American departure from Iraq. All across the country, the dependability of Iraqi security forces over the long term remains a major question mark. But for now, things look much better than before. American advisers told us that many of the corrupt and sectarian Iraqi commanders who once infested the force have been removed. The American high command assesses that more than three-quarters of the Iraqi Army battalion commanders in Baghdad are now reliable partners

scubadoo

Honestly you could find just as technical data argueing my side if you looked also.
And talking about the soldiers who don't agree with the current war....one of my best friends who is here right now reading all this served for 10 years. If you want grounds to all of the nonsense that the govt has been feeding us I would be happy to tear apart all of the civilian points of view you can throw up.
if you can provide it I'd like to read it. Google Chinagate and read away. I can bring more but it is not the subject matter of this thread. There is currently another thread called republican candidates where this subject matter is being discussed.

scubadoo

Originally Posted by Hydrodamoper
What happened to the REBATE
thread I was reading.......

Someone decided to mention the war and their beleif it is a waste and failure to continue....backed up the position with flawed facts .
As a supporter of the war on terror and our president I will not let such comments go unchallenged.

scubadoo

If you want grounds to all of the nonsense that the govt has been feeding us I would be happy to tear apart all of the civilian points of view you can throw up.
There is a VERY large military base located in this town..I talk to them as well on a regular basis.
What nonsense is the governemnt feeding us? You have to look for the info but most reports coming from Iraq have been positive since the surge strategy.
Feel free to tear away. I've posted one report written by Bush war critics....I can bring others but it is not the subject matter of this thread.

scubadoo

What has bush done to help? NOTHING. oops sorry he is giving us this nice little check if it passes.
What has the democrat controlled Congress done to help the economy?

salty blues

Originally Posted by ScubaDoo
What has the democrat controlled Congress done to help the economy?
They have contributed much gas and hot air.

S

saltycrab

Then theres also all those classified hard drives that kept disappearing from Los Alamos when Clinton was in Office. Now the Chinese have ICBMs. If we didn't have so much trading between us I might be seriously worried.
The way I look at these checks is I will be happy when I get mine but I think tax cuts would be the better solution. Our Congress is useless.

m0nk

Originally Posted by SaltyCrab
Then theres also all those classified hard drives that kept disappearing from Los Alamos when Clinton was in Office. Now the Chinese have ICBMs. If we didn't have so much trading between us I might be seriously worried.
The way I look at these checks is I will be happy when I get mine but I think tax cuts would be the better solution. Our Congress is useless.
The whole system is useless. Our government (both sides of the isle in Congress, and the President) only seems to manage to turn people against each other (I'll point to ALL politically motivated comments in this thread) and it fails to do what it is mandated to do.... represent the people... ALL of them. This is the way it's been in recent history, and it's not going to get better any time soon. As I've said before, either side can find facts
that support their view, but all it really proves is that the system is flawed and no President, Congressman/woman, Senator, or elected official in any capacity, is perfect, nor doing their jobs to the fullest capacity. MOST of them only care about their own interests and beliefs, no matter how much those interests fail to represent the people OR how far they are from the "founders" ideals.
Personally, I see good points on BOTH sides of the fight, but that's all it's ever going to be as long as people let their leaders polarize them one way or the other; a fight. We need to stop fighting!
/rant
This is the last post I'll ever make on one of these political threads, so you won't have to worry about me complaining anymore.... not like anyone even cares what I think if I don't agree with them...

peef

Originally Posted by m0nk
The whole system is useless. Our government (both sides of the isle in Congress, and the President) only seems to manage to turn people against each other (I'll point to ALL politically motivated comments in this thread) and it fails to do what it is mandated to do.... represent the people... ALL of them. This is the way it's been in recent history, and it's not going to get better any time soon. As I've said before, either side can find facts
that support their view, but all it really proves is that the system is flawed and no President, Congressman/woman, Senator, or elected official in any capacity, is perfect, nor doing their jobs to the fullest capacity. MOST of them only care about their own interests and beliefs, no matter how much those interests fail to represent the people OR how far they are from the "founders" ideals.
Personally, I see good points on BOTH sides of the fight, but that's all it's ever going to be as long as people let their leaders polarize them one way or the other; a fight. We need to stop fighting!
/rant
This is the last post I'll ever make on one of these political threads, so you won't have to worry about me complaining anymore.... not like anyone even cares what I think if I don't agree with them...

AMEN brother monk, preach on! bah ha, I totally agree with you.

burch2006

sooo many things to respond too.
I know we beat the katrina topic already, but if the pres would have sent in troops without being asked that is an act of war according to the constitution.
Clintons failures... well he's already apologized for the genocide he did nothing about in the 90's in Rwanda. Then there was the other Genocide he did very very little about (kosovo) when BIN LADEN wanted to move his religion/destruction into Europe. link
The Chinese couldn't get a satelitte into orbit before we sold them the technology, and now they threaten to shoot down any orbiting their country

bdhutier

The way he let people rot and die and did basically nothing to help...yes!

Sorry, I've skipped most of the posts after this one, I just had to respond... I'm going to try and educate you a bit here, Peef. I'm in the Emergency Management career field, and the failure of Katrina response was in no way, shape, or form the fault of Bush, DHS, FEMA, or anyone else at the federal level. The chief tenant of Emergency Response is: "Disasters begin local, and end local." The failure of the response is 100% the fault of local and LA state Emergency Managers, and no one else. The federal government will NEVER jump into a local/state response without the express request of the governor, and even then, the response will be more of a coordination effort. You will not find 100,000 FEMA personnel on the ground... not gonna, and frankly shouldn't happen.
As for the "war" (police action, really), as a former Soldier who is seriously considering getting back in, most the points made in this discussion have at least some merit. I know journeyman already knows this, but the first thing you need to realize is that whatever you know -- from whatever mainstream civilian source -- is about 10% of the truth. I'm not saying it's 90% lies, I'm saying 10% of the information is released, and the other 90% is held in-house at the DoD.
The point I'm making is: whatever you think you know about how things are, or what's going on in the AOR, rest assured you don't. You don't know the whole story, and therefore by default have no idea what you're talking about.

breiwa1

Bottom line, Clinton rode out the excellent economy president Bush help build and left us in a position to be attacked. Not to mention he is the only president since Nixon to be impeached. He is certainhly no one to be admired. No attacks since 9/11. Thank you troops and President Bush.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by breiwa1
http:///forum/post/2450633
Bottom line, Clinton rode out the excellent economy president Bush help build and left us in a position to be attacked. Not to mention he is the only president since Nixon to be impeached. He is certainhly no one to be admired. No attacks since 9/11. Thank you troops and President Bush.

Actually, he's the only President to be impeached since Jackson was impeached in 1868.
Nixon resigned.
(I agree with the rest of your post, however, to a large degree).
I will give President Clinton credit for working with the Republican Congress to lower spending. (of course this was Congress' idea I believe)

1journeyman

I heard today, btw, that the plan approved by the House gives the tax credit to illegals who have paid taxes and have a valid tax id number

reefraff

New Senate version limits rebates to holders of valid social security numbers. The house version supposedly did exclude non resident aliens but those "Honest, hardworking" "undocumented workers" that stole social security numbers would have been able to apply for the rebates.

stdreb27

Originally Posted by Pontius
http:///forum/post/2445055
I was listening on the radio last night and there was an economist that said over $700 BILLION dollars is missing. said it came up to something like $50,000 per tax paying household. MISSING. not wasted in the war, or spent on bridges to nowhere, or NASA, or anything like that, just flat out missing. as in no one knows where this $700 billion is. so yeah, this govt can afford to give us some of our money back if they can afford to lost $700 billion.
I stole it.

stdreb27

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
http:///forum/post/2445293
Hehe, one more to add to the growing list:

President Bush didn't make people live in a city, built below sea level, surrounded on three sides by water, in an area prone to get hit by hurricanes. Nor did President Bush design the levy system.
The people of New Orleans had days to evacuate. Those that stayed choice not to.
The Mayor did not inact his own evacuation plan that would have removed many of the people that would later die.
The Governor did not ask for Federal Assistance in a timely manner.
Let us not forget, that Bush asked whatever that woman lib governer to ask for a federal takover a few days before landfall which she refused. "insiders" reported she wanted all the credit for handling the crisis. (not that put alot of stock on insiders)