SocalNano24s Tank Diary

socalnano24

here are updated pics

front shot

full width, you can see my new clown and the sweetlips

shot of one of my zoos, I think its a zoo at least. Classificaton anyone?

my hammer kicking ass! its doubled or tripled in size since I got it

I think this is a chimney star polyp colony?

one of my green zoos

another green zoo polony, (what are the long ones?)

close up of the clown.
Let me know what you guys think! Comments always appreciated

socalnano24

yay, decided on a picture for myself. That was when I was scuba diving in the cook islands last year. Anybody else scuba?

spanko

Hey Socal, welcome to the boards. Looks like your tank has been through some of the trials and tribulations most go through in the beginning. Glad to see you are getting a handle on it now though. Won't belabor it but the sweetlips will have to be addressed sooner or later. I say this based on some info quoted here.
"Once established, it has little interest in corals, but may eat any shrimp, snails, or worms; any crustaceans, being part of its natural diet, will likely be eaten. Sweetlips can grow to more than 2-1/2 feet in the wild, it must be provided with a large, well-aerated aquarium."
Other than that the other info I would offer here is this coral is not a hammer but is a torch, (Euphyllia glabrescens). This is a nice one you have!

This looks to be blue clove polyps Clavularia spp.
, will become pretty invasive with the right conditions. Can spread quickly so keep and eye on this one. Again a very nice colony you have.

socalnano24

Well. unfortunatley I may not ever get to the point of having to address the sweetlips. I found him this morning laying down on the sand. Turned on the lights to see if he was just resting, he started swimming around, but just looks lazing, and is off balance.
Its been a week since a water change, but all the paramters are normal. 1.024 SG, pH 8.0 (I need to raise that w/ next water change but shouldn't be a red flag), nitrite 0, ammonia 0, nitrate < 10 mg/l temperature stays at 80-81.
So I dunno what his deal is. He's back on the sand now. Any recomendations? I think he's done for, I'm prolly going to quarintine him to get him out of the tank before he releases ammonia, assuming he dies
But anyways, Spanko, thanks for the information about my corals. I didn't know that the blue cloves were invasive. They seem to have stayed to their rock since I got them, which was a lil over three weeks ago.

socalnano24

Originally Posted by scottallert
http:///forum/post/3048996
locally, some day i will internationally, i still have a few years to go.
Yeah, its really hard to get out of the country, but all the tropical stuff is so far away! I've only been to the cook islands (rarotanga). One of my friends is a tropical fish collector there, and provides some of the wild caught fish to the LA importer, Japan and Amsterdam. Mainly lary anthys, six line wrasses and flame angels, on the occasion some Boyle Eye and Hefferjai (a deep fire fish).
Where I live in Cali. The local cold water here is quite beautiful though, you just have to appreciate it for what it is. I see alot of gerribaldi, sting rays, bat rays, spiny lobster, fans and sponges when I go out in Laguna. I think it'd be sweet to see Florida sometime

meowzer

If you have a qt, put the sweetlips in it...I am the type of person..that believes it's never over until it's over...LOL....

socalnano24

Yeah, I guess thats another thing I need to add to my list of things to set up. I originaly thought a QT tank was more or less for people with big expensive tanks (which I'm starting to realize small tanks doesn't mean not expensive! as I've already found). After I figure out what to do with teh sweetlips I may have to set one up.

socalnano24

well the sweet lips passed while I was at my bbq. I went ahead and changed three gallons of water, and added some buffer to bring up my pH.
Updated livestock list:
5 nassarius snails
5 blue legged hermits
4 turbo snails
1 flame shrimp
1 emerald crab
1 torch
blue clove polyp colony
colony of orange/brown zoos(smaller than normal, haven't id'ed yet)
colony of purple zoos(smaller than normal, haven't id'ed yet)
colony of green zoos (smaller than normal, haven't id'ed yet)
a fire and ice zoo cluster
small colony of eagle eyes (or whatmmin' watermellons)
colony of cocos (or twilight pinks or zoot shoots, not sure)
mushrooms:
some beige ones with lime green high lights
purple/green ones
FISH: 1 oscilarus clown, or false percula? Not sure what the difference is.. basically a Nemo
I'm gonna try to borrow my dads SLR digital camera and get some specific pictures of my list.

socalnano24

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3049293
Sorry to hear that....
So you have no other fish?
haha, good call. Got so caught up in my corals I forgot about my lonely clown, updated the list :)
He's still doing well. Only been in for a week now. The sweetlips was the sole guy for a couple weeks before. I'd like to get several more swimmers, I could use some recommendations if anyone has some ideas on what would go well with what I got

meowzer

Since you don't know what happened to the Sweetlips, it may be best to wait before you add anything else.....have you tested the water?

scottallert

Originally Posted by SocalNano24
http:///forum/post/3049117
Yeah, its really hard to get out of the country, but all the tropical stuff is so far away! I've only been to the cook islands (rarotanga). One of my friends is a tropical fish collector there, and provides some of the wild caught fish to the LA importer, Japan and Amsterdam. Mainly lary anthys, six line wrasses and flame angels, on the occasion some Boyle Eye and Hefferjai (a deep fire fish).
Where I live in Cali. The local cold water here is quite beautiful though, you just have to appreciate it for what it is. I see alot of gerribaldi, sting rays, bat rays, spiny lobster, fans and sponges when I go out in Laguna. I think it'd be sweet to see Florida sometime
i am not a fan of cold water, you shoud definately come dive the keys, some nice reefs here

socalnano24

All the tank paramters are normal. My pH is back up to 8.2. Otherwise everything is at 0. SG is at 1.024.
I don't know if it was the tank necesarily, since I was told the orinetal sweetlips wouldn't last longer than a month by everyone (after I had already bought it of course), he was on about 3 weeks. So may have been that inevitability everyone was talking about.
I went and got more stuff for my freshwater, to keep me from gettin' another saltwater fish yet ;). maybe I'll take some pictures later

meowzer

LOL...I don't know anything about the fish "Sweetlips" so I really don't know whay they would only last a month....
I still think you should sit back and enjoy the newness....lol...let the tank with the stuff you already have adjust to each other :)

socalnano24

alright, I'll be patient and sit back for a bit. I am working on the design of something to upgrade my tank abit. Will be posting the idea in a while.