Some one PLEASE help me

daver1062

I am having problems with my 125 gallon saltwater tank. Anemones keep dying yellow tang died goby died and my blennie looks sick. I did water test and every thing is perfect. Filter media is up to date. I run a fluval fx-5 filter , protein skimmer rated for 220 gallon tank a uv sterilizer rated for 125 gallon tank. I do not have special lighting. Fish still alive two pajama cardinals , one tomato clown 2 percula clows one fox face one squirrel fish one bird wrasse one yellow wrasse.

S

smartorl

To offer suggestions or suspicions of what may be happening, we would need more info.
How old is the tank?
What is your sg?
What are the exact parameters?
What are you feeding?
Also, you state you don't have special lighting. Anemones require a lot of light, without special lighting to meet their requirements, they will die and when they die, they can and will destroy your water parameters. That's just the first thing that came to mind.
What type of blenny and goby? Many of these species have specific dietary requirements which could have led to their passing which is why I ask.

daver1062

I had a 90 gallon setup which was running for a year and a half no problems with it. Iupgraded to the 125 gallon tank in march of this year. I do not know what sg is I am semi new to this hobby.I onlt test ph and nitrite. That is what I was told at my local pet store. I feed the tank with brine schrimp and krill.I do not know the specific kind of blenny or goby the blenny is one of my original fish the goby has been here for about 4 months

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by daver1062 http:///t/388454/some-one-please-help-me#post_3425744
I had a 90 gallon setup which was running for a year and a half no problems with it. Iupgraded to the 125 gallon tank in march of this year. I do not know what sg is I am semi new to this hobby.I onlt test ph and nitrite. That is what I was told at my local pet store. I feed the tank with brine schrimp and krill.I do not know the specific kind of blenny or goby the blenny is one of my original fish the goby has been here for about 4 months
Welcome to the site.
Do the following tests
Ammonia
Nitritres
Nitrates
Calcium
Phosphates
Alkalinity
Ph
Tell us the exact numbers the test results read. Brine shrimp is no good try mysis shrimp instead.

S

siptang

Hi, welcome to the forums!
As flower said, test for all of those things above. Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, ph and alk is a MUST. Phosphate too if you have corals in your tank.
and also like she said, brine is no good because it has no nutritional value. It's like potato chips for humans.
Try Mysis or go to local grocery store and check out sea food section for sea food medley that's made of shrimps, muscles, squids and other varieties of sea food and chop them up to serve.
Keep us posted on the test results and such!

mr. limpid

+ one on the anemone, if it died could of caused a rise in your ammonia which would caused other things to die or look ill. IF in doubt always do a water change at least 20% (with RO/DI) and defiantly get the basic test kits like Flower says.

daver1062

Ok spent over a hundred bucks on new test kits and found some problems. My salt gravity is 1.032 my ph is 8.0 my nitrite is 0 my nitrate is 160 my calcium is over 520 my phosphate is 10 and amonia is 0. The only test I could not buy today was the alkalinity.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by daver1062 http:///t/388454/some-one-please-help-me#post_3426094
Ok spent over a hundred bucks on new test kits and found some problems. My salt gravity is 1.032 my ph is 8.0 my nitrite is 0 my nitrate is 160 my calcium is over 520 my phosphate is 10 and amonia is 0. The only test I could not buy today was the alkalinity.
Time for some major water changes and run some purigen to bring those phosphates down. I got tired of fighting with nitrates and got an Aquaripure filter...now ,my nitrates are 0

snakeblitz33

Are you topping your tank off with saltwater? If you are, stop that! Only top off with fresh water.
You need to do some major water changes. 50% per week until all of your numbers start to balance out.
That's crazy that your nitrate and phosphate is that high. Wow.

S

siptang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/388454/some-one-please-help-me#post_3426159
Time for some major water changes and run some purigen to bring those phosphates down. I got tired of fighting with nitrates and got an Aquaripure filter...now ,my nitrates are 0
Flower - are you sure purigen brings down phosphate lvl down?

daver1062

I will also take out the chemipure product that does not seem to be removing my nitrates and phosphate. I will buy the original fluval clearmax.

daver1062

Update on my problem. I have changed 60 gallons of water using my RODI unit and I bought water from culligan water company. I have been using Microbacter-7 and phosphate-e by brightwell aquatics. I did another full test this morning and the results are amonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate still 160 phosphate .25 ph 7.8 and salt gravity is now 1.024. What else can I do to bring down these darn nitrates

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by daver1062 http:///t/388454/some-one-please-help-me#post_3428427
Update on my problem. I have changed 60 gallons of water using my RODI unit and I bought water from culligan water company. I have been using Microbacter-7 and phosphate-e by brightwell aquatics. I did another full test this morning and the results are amonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate still 160 phosphate .25 ph 7.8 and salt gravity is now 1.024. What else can I do to bring down these darn nitrates
How big is this tank?..No way with a 60g water change can you have nitrate numbers not move down, even my bad API kit read lower for a day at least after a big water change.
How old are your nitrate test kits and what brand? I had API test kits that kept saying the nitrates were off the chart high, as and yet my coral, my shrimp, snails everything acted fine. My API kit was just opened...but the bottle read 2008.
I puchased Seachem test kits, my true nitrate reading was 1.

daver1062

I am using API to test. I just bought them at ***** a bit over a week ago. I see lot number but no expiration date. My tank is 125 gallon.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by daver1062 http:///t/388454/some-one-please-help-me#post_3428432
I am using API to test. I just bought them at ***** a bit over a week ago. I see lot number but no expiration date. My tank is 125 gallon.
look on the bottle themselves...you have bad kits, with 60g water change no way would you have those nitrate numbers not move.