Some one PLEASE help me

orca t

good evening and welcome...
I apologize if this is an old thread but I fail to see where you answered the question on the water top offs. Two, what type of water are you using?
For the record, and this is just me, removing the chempure will not fix or make the phos. problem go away. When you do your water changes, are you "swishing" the said product in the old water to remove the built up waist? If not try and do this during every water change, also, get the chempure elite, for a 125g I would recommend getting 3 or 4 of them. The Purigen would be a good investment as well, it should help with some of those Nitrates.
Also, the canister may have to go as well. That water volume is way to much for that canister (in my opinion) bigger is better. Search the SWF threads on recommended types. Can you post a pic of your tank? I read once from another poster that by looking at someones tank you can sometimes see a potential problem.
I should add too that I am sorry for your loss of your fish. That does not make for a great day at all. Hope you get this challenge figured out.

daver1062

OK I have about had it. What is the best salt water test kit? Every store I check only carries the api kits. I want a different brand.

btldreef

Depends on the test:
This is what I use:
pH: probe - I have a PinPoint American Marine and I like it. (API is close, but some people have issues with reading the colors clearly)
Nitrite/Nitrate: SeaChem
Alkalinity/Carbonate Hardness/kH: Salifert
Calcium: Salifert
Magnesium: Salifert
Ammonia: API (honestly, any of them work, if you have any reading, there's an issue)
I barely ever test ammonia to be honest.
API is terrible for nitrate tests. Red Sea is a terrible brand all together when it comes to test kits. I've used SeaChem for pH, alk and ca and didn't have an issue, I just like Salifert more.
You'll probably have to order online. I know SWF carries SeaChem.

gemmy

I have to order most of my SW stuff online, since most of the stores by me only carry the "basics".

daver1062

I read the reviews on seachem and they are not good. All my tests come out good except nitrates still reading high after 60 gallon water change purigen and a nitrate removal pad added to the filter. I don't mind ordering one but I want one that is accurate .

btldreef

SeaChem has been as accurate as a probe for me and there are quite a few others on this forum that claim the same thing as well. Ultimately it's your choice.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by daver1062 http:///t/388454/some-one-please-help-me/40#post_3434734
I read the reviews on seachem and they are not good. All my tests come out good except nitrates still reading high after 60 gallon water change purigen and a nitrate removal pad added to the filter. I don't mind ordering one but I want one that is accurate .
Seachem comes with a test that allows you to be sure your readings are correct. It's a test vial that comes with the kit....you do the test with that and you it lets you know if the kit is off. (I don't recall what it's called) IMO they are the best test kits around. That's the best advice I can offer.

daver1062

Ok update I got my seachem test kit yesterday and tested when I got home with the help of my daughter. The API reults are nitrate 160 plus? ph 8.2 phosphate .25 nitrite 0 ammonia 0. The seachem results are nitrate 40 plus it is the highest the test reads to and the color is MUCH darker then the 40. ph 8.1 nitrite 0 free ammonia .2 total ammonia .2 Over the past month or so I have removed the 300lbs of sand and put in crushed coral and aragonite changed over 60 gallons of water put purigen and nitrate removing pads in my filter all filters have been totally taken apart and cleaned BIG time. I HAVE to come up with an attack plan for the upcoming extended weekend to get this tank THAT I LOVE back to 100 % I have spent ALOT of money trying to make my fish HAPPY CAMPERS. So whats a little more. Any ideas????????????????????

daver1062

The tank is an up grade from a 90 gallon in february this year. Fish that are in it are as follows two perculas one tomato clown one foxface one yellow tang two pajama cardinals one coral beauty one lawn mower blennie one squirrel fish one banana wrasse and a conch.

daver1062

It is a 125 gallon. Filters are fluval FX-5 coralife 220 protein skimmer and coralife uv sterilizer. No I did not always have a problem with nitrates I dicovered this when the anemonies kept dying.

snakeblitz33

I would personally ditch the canisters and go with a HOB or sump design. Canister filter, IMOE, have no place in saltwater reef tanks as filtration devices. Your skimmer is also probably not running at maximum efficiency either. Try tweaking it as much as you can. If you can't get some thick, dark sludge out of your tank, consider investing in a much better skimmer... OR try your hand at starting an algae scrubber to help deal with your nitrate and phosphate issues.
How deep is your sandbed by the way?

gemmy

How long ago did you switch from sand to crushed coral? How often do you maintain the canister filter?

daver1062

I took the sand out about 3 weeks ago and put in a thin layer of crushed coral. and 2 weeks ago I added aragonite so my tank is now 1/2 coral and 1/2 aragonite. I normally clean all filter components every two weeks.

sweatervest13

From Orca T
Quote:
Also, the canister may have to go as well. That water volume is way to much for that canister (in my opinion) bigger is better. Search the SWF threads on recommended types. Can you post a pic of your tank? I read once from another poster that by looking at someones tank you can sometimes see a potential problem.
Can you post a pic of your tank?? I feel bad that you are spending so much money on this problem. Now that you have a good test kit I hope you can get the numbers down to where they need to be. Good luck and keep posting info.
How much LR do you have in the tank now? How deep was your sand bed (300lbs seems like a lot for a 125g tank)?

daver1062

The sand has been removed and replaced with aragonite and crushed coral about 3/4 of an inch on bottom. I have NO live rock. I will try to post a pic today.