something i've noticed about peoples answers on this site

angelsrock

i've noticed and so have the people i know that go on this site that lately people will ask a simple question that doesn't require a lot of explanation because they are looking for a short answer and people just go on and on and on about how their way is better. they argue a lot, they ridicule a lot, and they criticize if what the person is doing isn't what they want them to do. can anybody explain how this helps the person? :thinking: has anybody else noticed this and sick of it because i sure am. this is an informational site that is used so people can exchange ideas, not to be argued with. if something you don't agree with is said say it and move on. you shouldn't make or take anything personally on this site. i just thought i'd get this off my chest.

jmick

Questions might seem simple when they are asked but the answers usually aren’t as easy as a yes or no response. People come here to share ideas and experiences and it’s safe to say that many will vary and differ. I think it’s fine to disagree as long as you explain why and give some information to back up what you’re saying. The only thing that really irks me is when people post questions where every other word is spelled incorrectly and you have to read it 4 or 5 times to piece it together…in the age of spell check/grammar check there is no excuse.

guineawhop

i agree people on this site take things way too far, take a look at the bangaii cardinal thread. granted people don't like seeing damsels being used to cycle but that's your opinion and the guy wasn't even talking about the damsels and wasn't even part of the question and almost all but like 2 or 3 people, one being angelsrock, didn't jump down his throat about using damsels to cycle and actually answered his question.

debbie

I have been with this site for a while now. I quite enjoy all the posts and read the ones that interest or pertain to me. You will often find no matter what forum you belong to stuff like this goes on. When I post a question myself I wait to see what type of answers I get, you will quickly find out the answers from those you quite like and have taken the time to help you and then you will sometimes find a pattern from those whom think they know it all.
I know lots of people whom will not post to this forum due to these reasons of being shot down. I say, " Do post your question, take the answers you get in stride". You will know right from wrong. Don't ever be scared or discouraged to post here because there are more good replies than bad most of the time and you can sure learn alot from the folks here.
Deb....

jerthunter

Well... I thought about writing a 5 page essay to answer your question about how people answer question but that would probably only be funny to me....

diane4

When you have a group of people meet in any fashion, whether it be face to face, on the phone, through email or on a forum, you will always get a variety of people with different opinions, comments, wordiness, personalities etc.
If someone is expecting a certain type of answer - short answer, then ask that way. If you are too thin skinned to handle someone who has been at it for years and they get frustrated with a question for the sake of the fish - you need to be more understanding. If you find someone in particular offensive, then just tell them that and move on.
If you find or think that too many people on the forum are rude, know it alls, offensive or their way is better - then sad to say it - I invite you to leave and find a forum that you desire that does not exist. Because putting it simply, people are humans with different experiences, opinions and varied patience.
I CAN'T say enough good about this forum. I have been into saltwater fish keeping for about 5 months and reef keeping for almost that long. I am Powerseller of pet books on the big auction site and have lots of books to refer to for saltwater and reef keeping. If I combined all of the books, NONE of them or the SUM of them do not add up to the value I found in visiting this forum. Why? Well, it's because it is real people, living or having lived through real experiences, they have advice of best brands to buy from REAL experience and often money and time saving tips. I challenge angelsrock and anyone else that agrees with angelsrock to find any book that will help you with the above information. Books do not recommend brands from experience and they don't have money saving tips. And the books cost money, this forum is free.
It's a no brainer for me. This forum far outweighs the value of all books combined.
I will NEVER forget and never stop appreciating this forum, because if it wasn't for this forum being here, I would have 1 dead dogface puffer. Within the first month of owning my fish that I spent so much money buying and getting equipment for, he would have died. It is at this forum that I learned what hyposalinity was and how to effectively do it. Show me one book that covers that...not one.
In summary, yes - people are different and some may come across arrogant or know it all, but a true fish hobbyist that cares about their live inhabitants in their aquaria will read past the personality side of the reply and extract the information they need and forum their final opinion or decision or action.
I am sure that there are many people on this forum that have been coming here to read and post for years, much much longer than I and they would do a better job than I on defending the board and forum of the community. But, as a visitor of 3 or more times a day and I am someone who values the opinion of all on this forum, I wouldn't trade it for the world.
If I am coming across as defensive of the board and what it represents, you are right. I am also trying to advise those who feel negative about the replies to the posts to not take it personally, read, absorb, form your own decision and opion and move on. I truly believe that most people on this forum are very passionate about the hobby and the animals they keep and get frustrated with some types of questions. No matter what you advise some people, they never seem to read up first about something BEFORE they take a plunge and get something and make a bad purchase choice or timing decision.
continued....

diane4

And yes, I will always dance with people who differ in my opinion about lighting requirements and feeding requirements for anemones. I have 5-6 watts per gallon of PC lighting - not metal halide. Yes, several anemones died. But I have 1 BTA that is in the same lighting and the ONLY difference is that he hosts a mated pair of clown fish. He is growing, thriving and is fed a couple times a week. Target fed. I think there is something to be said about the anemone and clown bond. I do think it makes the anemone feel more close to the wild life. I have had my BTA for months now. No metal halide and he is doing well. I think the others I had died because the tank was too new.
And, I am a strong advocate of big water changes also. I know most people say only do 10% every week or 20% every other week. I do much bigger changes than that and I have no problems. I have 5 fresh water tanks and I drain the water every week to about an inch or two above the fishes heads - so that is about 80% change or more. My saltwater fish, I do about 30% every week on my fish only and about 50% on my reef every week. But then again, I like to feed

See, I know you will find people that disagree with me, and that is fine.
And I think that with the saltwater hobby, there is NO SINGLE method that works. There are different thoughts and theories of tank husbandry. On some topics opinions seem to be unanimous. But there are different strokes for different folks.
In summary, keep your chin up, grow thicker skin, read read and read some more. Post post and have fun. It truly IS the best forum on the net for saltwater fish and vert hobbyists.

diane4

Originally Posted by snailheave
i have this paper thing i need to write, can you do it for me?
Very funny.... :hilarious

angelsrock

tell me about it, i never said i didn't like this site, because i too have learned from this site. that's not what i'm saying. i'm just sick of people attacking other people for some of the things they do instead of for instance say i wanted to know what else can go with a shark in a 55 gallon tank, instead of being sarcastic, rude or cocky just simply, sorry but that shark needs a bigger tank with a min of so and so gallons and it would be wise to get rid of it and put other fish in there instead such as.... instead you get like 20 threads for the samething saying to the effect of, didn't you do any reading whatsoever, or i hate it when people buy fish without researching. which doesn't answer the guys question or help him at all. granted maybe a lot of the people are younger but that's still no way to answer someones question or help them out. if you think i'm being sensitive i'm not it's just common curtousy(spelling?). of course the author above likes this website because it helps her write her books i'm sure which has made you money, but for people who just want to learn or need help it's not the way to go about doing it.

diane4

Originally Posted by angelsrock
of course the author above likes this website because it helps her write her books i'm sure which has made you money, but for people who just want to learn or need help it's not the way to go about doing it.
Small correction Angelsrock. I don't write books, I sell them.
And snailheave - was that a punch at the legnth of my post and an unecessary comment that has added no value to the thread other than offering a snobby remark, or were you joking? Maybe it's responses like that can peeve people off. If you don't have something nice to say or to help, don't say it all.

diane4

Originally Posted by snailheave
the topic is 'investing in a rising interest rates environment'
go work on it!
Ahh funny, probably almost as funny as you are to look at in the mirror. Your such a nice person.

marvida

There's an old thread around here somewhere titled something like "how many reef keepers does it take to change a light bulb"? That thread explains a lot.

J

jdragunas

snail never makes any comments worth while... you kinda have to get used to it...
and i agree with you 100% diane... I think the main reason people feel they're being flamed or yelled at is because this is a forum, and it's damn near impossible to transpose your actual emotions while writing a reply. you may mean something in a joking way, or in a serious way, and the other person may not take it the way it was meant...
I think that people on here are too sensative... well, that's humanity in general. People get offended sooooo freaking easily... "oh no, the pledge of allegiance says 'god' in it", i'm buddhist, and i'm offended". Get over it. It's the way people are, and the way it will always be. People are too sensative to stuff, especially when you disagree with them (my husband is a first-hand witness to that).
I agree with you that if someone seems upset or flaming you, don't automatically jump to that conclusion and feel that you're being flamed. That only upsets you. Just take everything in stride. Take the information that seems right to you, and discard the info that doesn't.

af330i

Angelrock makes a good point and I personally have always made it a point to try and help others out on subjects I am very knowledgable on. Being the starter of that Cardinal thread I knew from the beginning some would suggest not using fish to cycle which is why I addressed it in the very first post ... I was hoping to elminate changing the subject from 'using the Cardinals' to 'not using fish to cycle'
Meanwhile I know from being a moderator of a different type of board (Cars) that you always get a few people who take the boards very seriously and can't help but post their opinions even if it is addressed prior in the same thread. It doesn't get to me though at the same time it sure isn't answering the original question.