something i've noticed about peoples answers on this site

angelsrock

Originally Posted by snailheave
the topic is 'investing in a rising interest rates environment'
go work on it!
hahahahahaha

snailheave

Originally Posted by jdragunas
snail never makes any comments worth while... you kinda have to get used to it...
i am kind of hurt by that. i think i make entertaining comments.

darth tang

i am kind of hurt by that. i think i make entertaining comments.
Kevin Federline thinks he is entertaining also.........

ophiura

diane4:

Thanks

Look, people are passionate about things. And they are here sharing opinions. Often, if you get a snobby reply, take a look at the original question. If people "sense" that you are being obnoxious in your question, then you may see that in the replies...and, IMO, that may have happened in the thread in question. If you say stuff like "I don't want to hear about your opinions on whatever" then people get annoyed. If people do say something rude, then either ignore it, or smooth things over...many people just escalate it, contributing to the problem they are complaining about. In that thread, maybe saying "hey, I want to know this. I've done research into different types of cycling and understand the issues, especially with possible affects on fish. But this is best for me." When people chimed in with "don't do it" just take it, and leave it. But more often than not, it is escalated...
Be grateful if people put in time on an answer, even if it was more than you wanted to hear. See the best in things.

guineawhop

Originally Posted by ophiura
diane4:

Thanks

Look, people are passionate about things. And they are here sharing opinions. Often, if you get a snobby reply, take a look at the original question. If people "sense" that you are being obnoxious in your question, then you may see that in the replies...and, IMO, that may have happened in the thread in question. If you say stuff like "I don't want to hear about your opinions on whatever" then people get annoyed. If people do say something rude, then either ignore it, or smooth things over...many people just escalate it, contributing to the problem they are complaining about. In that thread, maybe saying "hey, I want to know this. I've done research into different types of cycling and understand the issues, especially with possible affects on fish. But this is best for me." When people chimed in with "don't do it" just take it, and leave it. But more often than not, it is escalated...
Be grateful if people put in time on an answer, even if it was more than you wanted to hear. See the best in things.
that's the point though they weren't answering the question at all though, it was a totally different topic. not their attitude. i think people here are taking it as angelsrock is annoyed by the attitudes people have, it's that people ask questions and then they never get answered because people are too worried about something else that they said. so it's not even worth replying to. it's like someone saying pears taste great, don't you agree and then the reply being well they are green. 2 totally seperate things.

af330i

Originally Posted by ophiura
"hey, I want to know this. I've done research into different types of cycling and understand the issues, especially with possible affects on fish. But this is best for me."

Ok I will take your advice since I still never got an answer to my question and the moderator closed that thread
hey, I want to know this. I've done research into different types of cycling and understand the issues, especially with possible affects on fish. But this is best for me
Are these Bangaii Cardinals hardy enough to handle a cycle ...
Thanks

hot883

Originally Posted by jdragunas
that was hilarious... and so true!
Jenn, I didn't know you were a Buddhist!

snailheave

Originally Posted by AF330i
Ok I will take your advice since I still never got an answer to my question and the moderator closed that thread
hey, I want to know this. I've done research into different types of cycling and understand the issues, especially with possible affects on fish. But this is best for me
Are these Bangaii Cardinals hardy enough to handle a cycle ...
Thanks

no. and i don't get why you can't just throw a dead thing in your tank?

T

thomas712

Perhaps someone wishing to cycle a tank could throw the dead thread into the tank and help it cycle, what are your thoughts on it.

J

jdragunas

ummm... i read that thread, and i believe it was answered throughout the first half of it... until people started chiming in with "don't cycle your tank with fish"...
Several people answered "no don't do it. you already have enough damsels to start the cycle... you don't need too much ammonia to start the cycle... etc."
IMO, i wouldn't add the cardinals, as you already have plenty to begin your cycle.
ALSO, Fenner says you should do water changes to keep your ammonia below 1.00. This will allow the cycle to continue, however, will give your fish a better chance of survival, as well as any hitchikers that came with your LR.

af330i

no. and i don't get why you can't just throw a dead thing in your tank?
Here is the deal ... I was told by the installer of my tank as well as others to use about 15 damsels to start the cycle, I went out out bought 8 fish and planned on putting 4 damsels & 1 puffer from my current 65 gallon tank into the new tank to help cycle it.
I put the 8 newly purchased damsels in the new 150 and while I was at the store I figured since I am using 5 fish from my old tank I will buy 2 tangs to put in there place in the old 65 gallon tank.
I couldn't catch the freakin 4 speed demon damsels so I started to think of an alternative and I read the Cardinals are hardy and easy to catch so maybe I will put those in.
Meanwhile I still have the 2 new tangs I bought and they are now in the 65 gallon which basically means I have way too many fish in it and I don't want to start losing my current fish.
I came here after all of this and read some info on cycling, found out about using dead shrimp in the tank but now it is way too late to go that method
Also if I lose a few damsels in the process I am not going to be too upset by it just like I am not too upset when I eat Fish for dinner and it doesn't get me upset when i watch on discovery channel how they catch fish by the hundreds in one net so we can eat them.

keleighr

Don't know you but from the few pieces on here!! You made me laugh so you did some good in the world today!!

jmick

Originally Posted by AF330i
Here is the deal ... I was told by the installer of my tank as well as others to use about 15 damsels to start the cycle, I went out out bought 8 fish and planned on putting 4 damsels & 1 puffer from my current 65 gallon tank into the new tank to help cycle it.
I put the 8 newly purchased damsels in the new 150 and while I was at the store I figured since I am using 5 fish from my old tank I will buy 2 tangs to put in there place in the old 65 gallon tank.
I couldn't catch the freakin 4 speed demon damsels so I started to think of an alternative and I read the Cardinals are hardy and easy to catch so maybe I will put those in.
Meanwhile I still have the 2 new tangs I bought and they are now in the 65 gallon which basically means I have way too many fish in it and I don't want to start losing my current fish.
I came here after all of this and read some info on cycling, found out about using dead shrimp in the tank but now it is way too late to go that method
Also if I lose a few damsels in the process I am not going to be too upset by it just like I am not too upset when I eat Fish for dinner and it doesn't get me upset when i watch on discovery channel how they catch fish by the hundreds in one net so we can eat them.

I’d like to put in my 2cents here. Most people get into this hobby because they have a genuine interest and concern about the animals they keep and want to provide a safe and stable environment where they can live a long and healthy life. In a sense, we feel responsible for the animals we keep. Comparing their deaths to a fish dinner is really silly. You really need to do some research and learn about proper husbandry because the people you’ve been speaking to have given you poor info. I know I’d never put two tangs in a 65 gal and I’d bet you didn’t QT them first (tangs are notorious for carrying ICK)

keleighr

Snailheave and I are going to start our own Country.
People with sense of humours ONLY!!
If you can't laugh at yourself then (which I do daily) then you can't join!!

keleighr

HATE THEM!
Sorry to all you damsel lovers but they are pain in the butts.
They killed so many dang things in my tank it was pathetic. AND catching them is a person trying to catch a car going 70 miles oer hour on foot!!
People were tellin gme to flush the little buggers (which TRUST me sounded so good by the time I finally caught them!) but I took them to the local Pet Store and gave the buggers to the to deal with. Now I have a beautiful Yellow Eyed Kole (at least I think that's what it is!!!
) that is happy as can be.
Also have a spotted box fish THAT i love!! Beedeebeet is his/her name!!!