something i've noticed about peoples answers on this site

af330i

Originally Posted by ebaybrad
i prefer fried grouper...cajun style
Maybe when I am done cycling my tank with him we can work it out ...

snailheave

Originally Posted by keleighr
Self fullfilling???
I thought we were going for a record?
I have not been fullfilled at all!!!
I feel cheated, robbed, totally UNfullfilled!!!!!!
i can help you with that. let's go out for lunch. on me

J

jcrim

Originally Posted by AF330i
I went out out bought 8 fish and planned on putting 4 damsels & 1 puffer from my current 65 gallon tank into the new tank to help cycle it.
Were you really going to cycle with a puffer???

keleighr

Shoot!! You only live once why bother with watching what you eat!!!
Just as long as it isn't Beedeebeet!!!

J

jdragunas

how in the world did you come up with that name???
OH, also, boxfish can release toxins into the system if they feel threatened, so make sure you house him with non-agressive tankmates.

darth tang

You know, I have been thinking about the whole cycling debate.....and if you really think about....unless you cycle with live rock or fish food you are all cruel. I know the arguement that its is torture on the fish...but if you think about it using a dead shrimp is also cruel. Why? Well at one point the shrimp was in the ocean mind it's own business and the next thing it knows it is caught in a net or trap, dragged out of the water and suffocated. Then peeled, packaged and shipped off to the store for our pleasure......
By continuing to buy shrimp you are just telling the corporations that this practice is ok and you are fine with shrimp suffocation.
Atleast with the damsel cycle senario you are allowing the fish a chance to live in an environment free of predators........eventually.
Which is truly more humane?
I don't care about cost....but truly think about it. The argument is actually in a sense dumb......do you think God or evolution (depending on your belief) threw a bunch of dead shrimp in the ocean?
(For the record I cycle with rock and fish food with the exception of my first and second tank. I used mollies for the first and a dead shrimp for the other. Incidentally my first tank is the only one to never give me algae problems. Not sure if there is something to that or not. )

snailheave

Originally Posted by keleighr
Shoot!! You only live once why bother with watching what you eat!!!
Just as long as it isn't Beedeebeet!!!
i almost always regret the decision the moment i put food in my mouth at a buffet

keleighr

He looks like a little alien and when he swims around the tank it looks like he should be saying "beedeebeet.....beedeebeet." like a little Twikie (for you young ones out there you will have no idea who i am talking about!)
Yes, I know they are poisinous. I was serioulsly hoping that he would take out the frickin damsels!!

J

jdragunas

Originally Posted by Darth Tang
You know, I have been thinking about the whole cycling debate.....and if you really think about....unless you cycle with live rock or fish food you are all cruel. I know the arguement that its is torture on the fish...but if you think about it using a dead shrimp is also cruel. Why? Well at one point the shrimp was in the ocean mind it's own business and the next thing it knows it is caught in a net or trap, dragged out of the water and suffocated. Then peeled, packaged and shipped off to the store for our pleasure......
By continuing to buy shrimp you are just telling the corporations that this practice is ok and you are fine with shrimp suffocation.
Atleast with the damsel cycle senario you are allowing the fish a chance to live in an environment free of predators........eventually.
Which is truly more humane?
I don't care about cost....but truly think about it. The argument is actually in a sense dumb......do you think God or evolution (depending on your belief) threw a bunch of dead shrimp in the ocean?
(For the record I cycle with rock and fish food with the exception of my first and second tank. I used mollies for the first and a dead shrimp for the other. Incidentally my first tank is the only one to never give me algae problems. Not sure if there is something to that or not. )
Well, by your reasoning, adding fish food to the tank to cycle is also cruel... as even flakes include some sort of sea life, such as shrimp, squid, and others.
Hmmm... in that case, having LR is cruel as well... At one point in time (whether it be transporting it from the beach to the store, or the store to you), something on it dies... that is the unnecessary death of many colonies of bacteria and microorganisms...
We just shouldn't have fish tanks at all!!!!!

keleighr

At least in a tank they have a better chance of survival.
Dang if we are going to pick on things let's start listing...
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
NUMBER 1 cruelest enviroment ZOOS!!!!!
Sea World
Marine World
Petting Farms
Ranches
Farms "period"
Slaughter Houses
Glue Factories!!
Dang if we listed ALL the inhumane things pertaining to animals we would be here forever.
Shoot owning cats or dags IS cruel.
LET the ALL be free to get squashed by cars!
I love all my BABIES and give them nothing but best!!