something i've noticed about peoples answers on this site

J

jdragunas

he's not dead. He plays dead... defense mechanism i guess...
And dragunas is actually my last name... i know! I married into that too... *sigh*

af330i

Originally Posted by Jmick
Most people get into this hobby because they have a genuine interest and concern about the animals they keep and want to provide a safe and stable environment where they can live a long and healthy life.
Of course I care about my fish and I am trying to put together a tank that they can live comfortably in while be entertaining to watch as well.
I had one puffer that got sick and people thought I was nuts because here I am trying to save a $30 fish and I must have spent about $150 to do so between buying a QT and all the medicines, etc ... in the end the puffer died and we actually buried it in the backyard and did a little funeral for it with my kids.
I know I’d never put two tangs in a 65 gal and I’d bet you didn’t QT them first (tangs are notorious for carrying ICK)
Those 2 tangs are going to live for only 4 to 6 weeks in a 65 gallon and then they are going to have 6 feet of swimming to do in a 150 gallon tank ... in the long run they are going to be very happy.

You really need to do some research and learn about proper husbandry because the people you’ve been speaking to have given you poor info.
I have been researching like crazy from reading books, reading magaizines, talking to friends that have fish, going to many LPS's and also going on internet boards and let me tell you, everyone and their brother has a different opinion on what to do with this hobby. I can literally go to 4 different LPS's and get 4 different answers on something, then come here and get another 4 different answers ... everyone comes off like an expert and they usually is disagree with what other people say.
I've never had a hobby where people disagree so often about one particular thing.
Also talking about fish like they are food ... all I am doing is justifying my reason for not being that upset over a damsel dying because I used it to cycle ... maybe it wasn't the greatest example but my pont was we eat 100's of thousands of fish every year and these fish if anything aren't treated any better then my damsels ... why is it ok for them to die and it's a sin to for a damsel to die ...

ebaybrad

let me clarify....
It is basically torture to put a fish in even a 6 gt tank when it is used to swimming in the ocean with bounless space.
It is also torture to catch a fish, yank it out of the water, throw it in a bucket with 100 others till it suffocates...and then skin in to eat.
Therefore, when a fish dies in a tank...it died to the cause of providing amusement to the owner..
Furthermore, if a fish dies inhumanely because of being caught for sustaining life (eating it)..it should be deemed ok as long as not caught for sport.
Where am I going with this?
Bottom line is, if you are going to keep a fish inhumanely in a fish tank for your amusement..,.the least you could do is eat it afterwards...
Also, as long as u are bring inhumane by keeping it in the tank in the first place...you might as well overcrowd them for more amusement. As long as you are going to hell..might as well get the most while you can...
But what do i know? Hope this helps!

ebaybrad

you need to add more fish...they like company and get lonely if there is not a fish within 1 inch of them at all times...

keleighr

I am at work so my replies will be sporadic but I do promise to try and be witty!!! ***) and entertaining!

keleighr

A BOX fish can ge that big!!!
WOW
I will have to keep Beedeebeet in there with some other little friends then!
CRUD!
There goes Beedeebeet Topia!

af330i

Originally Posted by ebaybrad
you need to add more fish...they like company and get lonely if there is not a fish within 1 inch of them at all times...
Your giving yellow diamonds here ... how about you stick to pearls

snailheave

well... i mean, deep as in philosophy or something
pearls and diamonds, etc
i find the missing N in my name at your paties

ophiura

Huh, this thread has become a self fulfilling prophesy, and I sense its life will soon come to an end....
Anyway, AF330i, there are, even in the damsel cycling world, different ideas. It depends on whether you want a "HARD" cycle in which case you use 1 damsel per 5 gallons or so of water and still feed heavily, resulting in very high ammonia levels (at which point the food is cut back virtually to nothing). But you can basically "soft" cycle with fewer damsels and not overfeeding...and if you have cured LR in the tank then you may not see any spike at all (in which case, IMO, there is no realy cruelty involved).
The first case, obviously, is pretty darn harsh, and few fish will make it through. Even damsels tend to die. If this is your plan, then I would personally discourage it in favor of other cheaper, equally effective and more humane approaches.
If it is more the second case, where you have LR or intend to minimize the ammonia spike, then I don't see a great deal of harm in it except in the pocket. But there is no real guarantee that any individual fish is hardy enough to survive it. By definition, it is an unstable period in a tank, unlike anything an animal would really encounter in the wild.
But, yes, lots of opinions because everyone's experience is going to be different. The problem is that people try and apply those experiences to other situations, where they may not apply at all.

keleighr

Self fullfilling???
I thought we were going for a record?
I have not been fullfilled at all!!!
I feel cheated, robbed, totally UNfullfilled!!!!!!

ebaybrad

everything that everyone else said here is wrong...what i said is true....there are no differing opinions on this fact!

lol

af330i

Originally Posted by ebaybrad
everything that everyone else said here is wrong...what i said is true....there are no differing opinions on this fact!

lol

Be honest about it and remove the 'lol' since you really feel this way ... BTW do you want to come over tonight for some filet of damsel :happyfish