Start of one "BIG" SPS tank

wangotango

^ he's got a lot of them.
goodwin: quick question. im just wondering why you didnt use multiple luminarc reflectors instead of several other fixtures? to me it just seems like you could have gotten more light coverage possibly even cheaper. nice tank all the same, hope the sps are treating you well.
-Justin

goodwin9

Originally Posted by Brandan
Goodwin, have you ever had any luck with an Atlantic Blue Tang? I was thinking about adding one but I heard they do not do will in Aquariums. Love the Angels, I have never seen those before.
I'm not sure if I know the one you are talking about, does it have another name?

goodwin9

Originally Posted by Coral Keeper
Your tank looks very nice! I think you should add more smaller fish. Like get about 20-30+ Blue Reef Chromis, i think it will look very very nice if you add the Blue Reef Chromis, and they will be schooling around your big reef tank. Well, good luck with your BIG reef tank!

There are 12 Blue-Green Chromis in the tank. They are pretty good sized, 2-3 inches.

goodwin9

Originally Posted by WangoTango
^ he's got a lot of them.
goodwin: quick question. im just wondering why you didnt use multiple luminarc reflectors instead of several other fixtures? to me it just seems like you could have gotten more light coverage possibly even cheaper. nice tank all the same, hope the sps are treating you well.
-Justin
I went with the Coralife fixtures for the rear of the tank to get moonlights, and the compact fluorescents. It's basically the same combination of fixtures that I am using in my 470. Most of the corals were planned to be under the front luminarc fixtures. . The combination gives a nice night to day effect in the tank. 10 foot tank, & 48" depth was harder to decide upon a lighting scheme than I originally thought.

brandan

Originally Posted by goodwin9
I'm not sure if I know the one you are talking about, does it have another name?
Acanthurus coeruleus "Atlantic Blue Tang" it starts out yellow as a Juvi, and then when it matures it turns a deep, deep blue. Same body shape as a yellow. I have just heard good and bad stories. Just wondering if you had any first hand experience, or knew someone that had one with success.

cjason3041

Goodwin, the tank is looking great.....has your chiller been holding up during the summer????
is there anything you regret or that you would have done different?

goodwin9

Acanthurus coeruleus "Atlantic Blue Tang" it starts out yellow as a Juvi, and then when it matures it turns a deep, deep blue. Same body shape as a yellow. I have just heard good and bad stories. Just wondering if you had any first hand experience, or knew someone that had one with success.
Now I know which one you are talking about. I have two of them and I have always known them as the Atlantic Blue striped tang. I'll try and get some pictures of them for you. One is in my 210, and the other in my 470. If they are the same fish, I haven't had any problems with them. Have had both for more than a year and seem to get along well with everyone in the tank. Mine are in different stages, one being more yellow and the other is a very dark almost navy color.

goodwin9

Originally Posted by cjason3041
Goodwin, the tank is looking great.....has your chiller been holding up during the summer????
is there anything you regret or that you would have done different?
The chiller is doing a great job, no problems keeping up. When you ask about regrets or changes, are you referring to setup and equipment?

brandan

Now I know which one you are talking about. I have two of them and I have always known them as the Atlantic Blue striped tang. I'll try and get some pictures of them for you. One is in my 210, and the other in my 470. If they are the same fish, I haven't had any problems with them. Have had both for more than a year and seem to get along well with everyone in the tank. Mine are in different stages, one being more yellow and the other is a very dark almost navy color.
Thanks

goodwin9

Originally Posted by MIKE22cha
Do you have a webcam for the octopus tank goodwin? I love your shark and reef cams though!
No, I don't, most of the time there wouldn't be much to watch and didn't feel that it would justiy the cam and bandwidth needed to upload video.

goodwin9

Well, here are some pictures of what was sold to me as an Atlantic Blue Striped tang. This guys is about 4" in length. He is in my 210 and has been there for more than a year. Great fish for me.

goodwin9

If my memory serves me right, I think that this one was also sold to me as an Atlantic Blue Striped tang, but looking at the pictures, this one sure doesn't look anything like the above set of pictures. So now you have me questioning what type of tang this may be. Maybe someone that has one that can chime in and set things straight.

goodwin9

Thought people might be interested in what it takes to feed my tanks. This order is what I go through in a six week period for the tanks in flakes....

goodwin9

Originally Posted by TriGa22
Holy crap! Do you feed other foods to? Do you get a discount?
Also feed pellets, frozen, and live brine. Frozen I buy direct fromk the mfg so I save quite a bit there.

goodwin9

Originally Posted by TriGa22
Ok. How much a month for food?
I knew someone was going to ask that, just didn't think it would be this quick. That's about $100. worth of flakes in the picture. My order of frozen arrives this week and will try and figure a rough guess after I get it in.

azfishgal

Wow! Your Atlantic Blue Striped Tang is beautiful!!!!

And I just don't know what to say about all that food!
Whenever my husband says I'm spending to much on my tank I'll just direct him to this thread and your website.

phunckie

Godwin, I believe this is a Kole Tang.
It looks just like the one I had.
If my memory serves me right, I think that this one was also sold to me as an Atlantic Blue Striped tang, but looking at the pictures, this one sure doesn't look anything like the above set of pictures. So now you have me questioning what type of tang this may be. Maybe someone that has one that can chime in and set things straight.