Start of one "BIG" SPS tank

goodwin9

Originally Posted by fuz_munky
what do you feed your tangs? becaus ei got one a week ago and he wont eat
Gosh..they eat just about every thing I throw in the tank. What type of tang is it? Have you tried soaking the food in garlic?

goodwin9

Originally Posted by Brandan
Looks like the calcium reactor isnt doing quiet what it needs to. Is it underrated for the tank? Or is it just not cranked up high enough?
The CA results are the one test that I question. I tested CA when I sent out the samples and I got 450 using a Salifert test kit.

goodwin9

Originally Posted by David24
Do you think your copper plumbing is the reason your copper is High?
A better assumption would be that the carbon pre filter before the RO unit might be exhausted.

goodwin9

Do you think your copper plumbing is the reason your copper is High?
I am expecting results tomorrow from AWT for my 470 gallon tank. If it is comming from the copper in my house, I am expecting to see similar high copper readings in that tank's results.

R

regina13

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for your mustard tang???

goodwin9

Did some modifications to my RO setup in hopes of removing any copper and silica that may be getting into my system. The first picture shows the existing setup where water passes through a 10" sediment & carbon filter (dark blue), before entering the RO unit, and then passing through a 10" resin filter.

goodwin9

The new setup includes a 20" carbon filter (dark blue), before the water enters the RO unit, with a much larger resin tank polishing the water leaving the RO unit. We did away with the sediment filter.

david24

Very interesting, you would think the RO unit would filter the copper out. How often do you change your RO units filters? You must go through a lot of RO water with that many tanks. You must be changing filters once a month? I would be willing to bet that your 470 also has high copper readings since they all use the same RO source. I wonder if it wouldn't hurt to get a copper test kit and check the water in your plastic tanks before putting it in your tanks from time to time.
I wonder if this is part of your SPS growing problem.
I will says this for you if you have a problem with your tanks you don't waste time fixing it.

goodwin9

Very interesting, you would think the RO unit would filter the copper out. How often do you change your RO units filters? You must go through a lot of RO water with that many tanks. You must be changing filters once a month? I would be willing to bet that your 470 also has high copper readings since they all use the same RO source. I wonder if it wouldn't hurt to get a copper test kit and check the water in your plastic tanks before putting it in your tanks from time to time.
I wonder if this is part of your SPS growing problem.
I will says this for you if you have a problem with your tanks you don't waste time fixing it.

If I understand things right, the RO unit doesn't filter out copper, that is done with the carbon filter. The RO filter itself had been changed in June as was the resin filter. I'm not sure the last time the carbon had been changed.
Since I am not using an copper medications in the tank, one has to assume that my water is the source. I do have a Saliert copper test kit which I have checked the water in my tanks a couple of times and either I didn't preform the test correctly, or just got the wrong results, but copper was next to zero using that kit.
Same goes for Silica, I have tested with Saifert and showed no indications, or very little. I'm either using these kits wrong, or the results may be inaccurate. This was my main reason for trying out AWT to have them double check my test results for comparison.
If I was a betting man, I'd bet that copper and silica are going to come back with similar readings from the water in my 470........

goodwin9

Originally Posted by Mach03InFront
may i ask where you purchase your fish from?
You might want to email me, posting sources is prohibited I think????

goodwin9

I sent off water samples from my 470 g tank and got the results this evening. CA is high on this report. I checked the CA before I sent the sample off and got a reading on 420 using the same Salifert kit I used in testing the 600. One sample comes back 150 points lower than my result and the next results come back 50 points higher than my results. I'm not sure what to think????

Originally Posted by goodwin9
Your exactly right, it is a rare blue handle net fish, or at least that's what they guy sold it to me as at the LFS....
I have been looking for a really long time for one of those, but i just dont have a big enough tank.
I cant imagine how much that thing eats!!

goodwin9

Originally Posted by iampumpkinman
I have been looking for a really long time for one of those, but i just dont have a big enough tank.
I cant imagine how much that thing eats!!

You can find the juvenile ones at a lot of places, but I had been trying to find "show size", much harder to come accross.....

That tank is absolutely rediculous, I couldn't be more jealous. Are you going to add some purple tangs, I think that is the only kind I don't see in your tank. I wish you would tell us how much you have spent so far, I couldn't be more curious as I would love a tank like that in the future.

goodwin9

Originally Posted by zepplin48138
That tank is absolutely rediculous, I couldn't be more jealous. Are you going to add some purple tangs, I think that is the only kind I don't see in your tank. I wish you would tell us how much you have spent so far, I couldn't be more curious as I would love a tank like that in the future.

Thank you! I probably won't add a Purple tang. They can be aggressive and I seem to have a happy mix in the tank right now. I've already got a nice looking purple in the 470 and I hate to start the fighting again in the big tank. I had problems when I put a Sohal, and an Achilles in the tank. Both times I had to remove them and place them in other tanks. I stopped keeping track of what I have spent after I paid for the tank & stand.....

Originally Posted by goodwin9
Thank you! I probably won't add a Purple tang. They can be aggressive and I seem to have a happy mix in the tank right now. I've already got a nice looking purple in the 470 and I hate to start the fighting again in the big tank. I had problems when I put a Sohal, and an Achilles in the tank. Both times I had to remove them and place them in other tanks. I stopped keeping track of what I have spent after I paid for the tank & stand.....
Please just wow us with a rough estimate... Of what it cost up to this point