Start of one "BIG" SPS tank

goodwin9

I received a number of Red Mangrove plants today in the mail and am going to experiment with them in the tank and see how they do. I should be able to add the seed pods directly to the refugiums.

I am going to have to experiment with the rooted plants as they have been grown in fresh water and need to be acclimated to the saltwater environment. I'm not sure of the best way to do this. I don't have a green thumb....

goodwin9

I am going to experiment with the rooted mangroves with one group in fresh water and the other vase I will slowly add salt water from the tank over the next week to ten days and see how they compare after that period of time.

goodwin9

FINALLY! After thirteen days sitting in RO water, the Mangroves are finally starting to show signs of the beginning of roots. I have been adding 1/2 cup of tank water to the tub each day. These haven't been kept under any lights other than the light in the room.

goodwin9

Originally Posted by digitydash
http:///forum/post/2605565
I am sure you have read this befor but if not keep an eye on you magnesium the mangrove suck it up fast.
Thank you for the heads up!. I checked levels yesterday and it was lower than the previous week. Dosed Mag with two part solution and will keep an eye on levels.

goodwin9

I got a call from the LFS telling me that they got in some things I should stop in and take a look at. BIG mistake, left with more than I should have. The best find in the group was a juvenile Mystery Wrasse about 2" in length. I took a few pictures of it in the bags incase it decided to head for the rocks once released. I did manage to get a couple of shots while it was in the corner before it had time to explore the rest of the tank. I was glad to see that none of the other wrasses in the tank seemed to mind the addition.

goodwin9

Not sure of the name of this one, but was warned that it would hide in the rocks. Sure enough, it headed straight for them so these may be the only shots of the fish in my tank.....

M

markeo99

where are you from goodwin I wanna come see your tanks sometime I am from britton sd and are those tanks built in starbuck?