Start of one "BIG" SPS tank

goodwin9

I've lost track of all that has gone in there, but it seems I have some additional snails that should be ready in the next few days. There are at least 100 of these on one side of the tank.

R

regina13

I thought the archillies was big, but my god! I was watching you live video thing and it is huge!!!!

goodwin9

Originally Posted by regina13
http:///forum/post/2644545
I thought the archillies was big, but my god! I was watching you live video thing and it is huge!!!!
Beside it's size, I think that the coloration makes it stand out in the tank more than some of the other tangs. It is a little bigger than I expected when I purchased it online.

goodwin9

Originally Posted by regina13
http:///forum/post/2644581
Would you mind saying how much you payed for the black tang.

I got a real deal on this one, $325 with shipping. I purchase the large Black tang they had and didn't choose to go with the show size that they had which was priced $30. higher. I am glad that I stuck with the large. Had the fish only been 3", one could expect to pay four to six hundred dollars from what I have seen. I was told that the larger Black tangs are easier to get, but because of the smaller demand, they are far less in cost. The freight it was gets you with a larger fish. Mine was shipped in it's own box weighing 42lbs.

ntracy

Could you give us a list of some of your suppliers? I'm assuming you probably know where to find the best deals. I'm starting a 95 gallon corner tank (pittly in comparison to this hehe) and would love to save some money when purchasing live sand and rock... and eventually livestock.

Goodwin, you are one of my all time fish-god heros.
You have an amazing tank, and every time I go through the pages, i am blown away.
Thank you for all the terrific pictures, the web cams, and the great thread, which has had over 105,000 views so far.

goodwin9

Originally Posted by iampumpkinman
http:///forum/post/2647931
Goodwin, you are one of my all time fish-god heros.
You have an amazing tank, and every time I go through the pages, i am blown away.
Thank you for all the terrific pictures, the web cams, and the great thread, which has had over 105,000 views so far.

Thank you for the kind words. Comments such as yours makes it worth the time that it takes to keep this thread updated. The tanks take a lot of time, and I sometimes wonder if my time spent updating threads could be spent else where. Thanks again!

goodwin9

Originally Posted by ntracy
http:///forum/post/2647470
Could you give us a list of some of your suppliers? I'm assuming you probably know where to find the best deals. I'm starting a 95 gallon corner tank (pittly in comparison to this hehe) and would love to save some money when purchasing live sand and rock... and eventually livestock.
The list is a long one...I think that it would be against forums rules to post the list here. I can say that saltwaterfish.com is one of the suppliers that I use fairly often. I've never had a bad experience using them. You can email me at chuck@dakotareef.com if you would like more information.

crimzy

Goodwin, your tank is truly amazing. Love it.
But at what point do you think that your tank will be fully stocked? It looks to me like you're approaching 100 fish or so and you don't seem to be slowing down. Your 600 gallon tank is large, no doubt about that, but there are limits. I plan on having around 12-14 fish in my 450 gallon, (685 gallon system). I think you're going to have trouble down the line if you continue to add as if the bioload is unlimited. JMO.
Your bioload is analogous to someone with a 120 gallon tank having 20 fish. Would you think that was overstocked?
What are your thoughts?

goodwin9

Originally Posted by crimzy
http:///forum/post/2650532
Goodwin, your tank is truly amazing. Love it.
But at what point do you think that your tank will be fully stocked? It looks to me like you're approaching 100 fish or so and you don't seem to be slowing down. Your 600 gallon tank is large, no doubt about that, but there are limits. I plan on having around 12-14 fish in my 450 gallon, (685 gallon system). I think you're going to have trouble down the line if you continue to add as if the bioload is unlimited. JMO.
What are your thoughts?
The tank is approaching, and probably has past what should be in the tank. In planning this tank, the filtration was planned to handle a heavy bio load. Things that were missed were added to insure the best quality water possible. With all of the filtration, the water isn't quite good enough for SPS corals, but that is a sacrifice that I am willing to make.
Your plans for your tank sound more realistic and am sure will make for a very nice tank. In my 470, again, probably over stocked to many, I have a dozen chromis plus all of the other fish. (I've never taken the time to do a head count in that tank.)
With the bio loads I carry, I check water parameters once a week. I am able to do an immediate 500 gallon water change in the event something goes south. Filters are changed once a week. A tank like this isn't something that I can sit back and watch. It takes a lot of work and money.....
I really hope that people who read this thread understand this isn't probably the way to do things, but rather how I am doing it.
I am planning on removing as many cardinals as I can catch and move them to another tank. Too many mouths to feed in this tank and they have a tough time going up against some of the bigger tangs.

goodwin9

Originally Posted by crimzy
http:///forum/post/2650532
Your bioload is analogous to someone with a 120 gallon tank having 20 fish. Would you think that was overstocked?
It would depend alot on what the 20 fish were in the tank, but just as important, the filtration and care maintaining the tank. Believe it or not, even I wouldn't try and put 20 tangs in a 120.........

crimzy

Originally Posted by goodwin9
http:///forum/post/2650589
The tank is approaching, and probably has past what should be in the tank. In planning this tank, the filtration was planned to handle a heavy bio load. Things that were missed were added to insure the best quality water possible. With all of the filtration, the water isn't quite good enough for SPS corals, but that is a sacrifice that I am willing to make.
Your plans for your tank sound more realistic and am sure will make for a very nice tank. In my 470, again, probably over stocked to many, I have a dozen chromis plus all of the other fish. (I've never taken the time to do a head count in that tank.)
With the bio loads I carry, I check water parameters once a week. I am able to do an immediate 500 gallon water change in the event something goes south. Filters are changed once a week. A tank like this isn't something that I can sit back and watch. It takes a lot of work and money.....
I really hope that people who read this thread understand this isn't probably the way to do things, but rather how I am doing it.
I am planning on removing as many cardinals as I can catch and move them to another tank. Too many mouths to feed in this tank and they have a tough time going up against some of the bigger tangs.

Gotcha.
I should also mention that my 12-14 fish will all be pretty large specimens.
I was just curious.