Startin up a 24gal AqPod Reef

paintballer768

Originally Posted by weasel117
ok whatever paintballser23432 it not like any of us here dont already know how to start up a 24 gal aqpod reef ok so dont even try you nincompoop weasel117 out

Your lucky its telling me the report post thing was somehow disabled....

paintballer768

Well as Im now temporarily out of a job, the tank is kind of at a stand still. Everything is doing fine, no casualties. Shrimp is getting bigger and everything is getting along.
I was reading up on the goby-pistol shrimp combo. What do you all think about how that would work out in my tank. For reference, I plan on adding the following fish, so let me know if something might rock the boat:
1 Black and White False Percula clown
1 True Percula
1 Six-line Wrasse
And for the goby-pistol shrimp, the goby being a yellow watchman, and a pistol shrimp being just that. I do have some hermits, snails, and a cleaner shrimp.
Tell me what you all think!! Thanks
EDIT: I didnt expect to get another paycheck in the mail. Ya'll know where Im going with this. Ill post pics hopefully within the next week of my FIRST corals!

perfectdark

I am considering the pistol shrimp goby combo myself but Im still not sure.. The goby's can really make a mess of your tank digging.
You may have issues mixing the 2 species of clowns. One being ocellaris the other being Percula. Although it is done just be prepared to make accomodations if it doesnt.

m0nk

Originally Posted by paintballer768
Well as Im now temporarily out of a job, the tank is kind of at a stand still. Everything is doing fine, no casualties. Shrimp is getting bigger and everything is getting along.
I was reading up on the goby-pistol shrimp combo. What do you all think about how that would work out in my tank. For reference, I plan on adding the following fish, so let me know if something might rock the boat:
1 Black and White False Percula clown
1 True Percula
1 Six-line Wrasse
And for the goby-pistol shrimp, the goby being a yellow watchman, and a pistol shrimp being just that. I do have some hermits, snails, and a cleaner shrimp.
Tell me what you all think!! Thanks
EDIT: I didnt expect to get another paycheck in the mail. Ya'll know where Im going with this. Ill post pics hopefully within the next week of my FIRST corals!

I wouldn't put single clowns of different types in the same tank. some people do mixed pairs, like 2 percs and 2 ocellaris, in really big tanks, usually over 100gal. The reasoning there is that there will be plenty of room for each pair to claim their own territory. But putting 2 single clowns of different types in a smaller tank is asking for trouble; one will likely kill the other. Hope that helps.

yerboy

im just gonna chime in here , sorry if its been posted already i didnt read every post.
2 cups of salt will make 4 gallons of water 1.025 +/- a little. its the formula i always use when making my own water and i have never had to correct for much when using that. Also when making your own water you want to put a heater and powerhead in with it and let it circulate for no less then 12 hours, some prefer 24 hours.

perfectdark

Actually Percs and Ocellaris are shown to be the easiest to pair together and in fact people are breeding the 2 species calling them percellaris or somthing like that. IMO If your going to try it these are the 2 I would try but, having problems is not out of the question.

paintballer768

Originally Posted by PerfectDark
I am considering the pistol shrimp goby combo myself but Im still not sure.. The goby's can really make a mess of your tank digging.
You may have issues mixing the 2 species of clowns. One being ocellaris the other being Percula. Although it is done just be prepared to make accomodations if it doesnt.
Ok, I really didnt think of the territorial issue that could happen, as I didnt know clowns were. In that case I will most likely end up with 2 black and whites instead.
Thats what concerns me too PD, is that I dont have enough sand for the two to be happy, and that I dont want sand everywhere and it on my corals and possible LR falling.

paintballer768

I got my frags today!!!!

I ended up getting
2 frags of GSP
1 Red Mushroom
1 Green Mushroom
1 Blue Mushroom
1 frag with 5-6 tiny polyps of Yellow Polyps
2 frags (maybe an inch long rock for both) of Brown-Red Zoos
2 frags of Green Palys
Theyre all opened up right now except for the GSP. Dont hate me for this, but this all cost me $32. My friends dad is the best, and he tested my water with his kit and everything is great. Pics will be up shortly!

paintballer768

The Red Mushroom I got wasnt mounted on a piece of rubble like the others and keeps tipping over on the piece I want it to mount on. Its in an area of little flow, and its wedged in a spot right now where it wont tip over and should be ok. Any suggestions to get it from tipping over? And how long should it take for it to mount?

paintballer768

Ended up rubberbanding the shroom to a small rock that I was trying to get it to attach itself to before. Hopefully this will work.

paintballer768

Ok come on now, I need some advice haha. Hermits and snails keep knocking the pieces off the rocks, and the red shroom isnt staying put. Any ideas to keep them in place?

paintballer768

Im talking to myself. What a shame. But heres pictures!
FTS - http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i2...12-2007001.jpg
Brown Palys - http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i2...12-2007005.jpg
My favorite, the Red Mushroom - http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i2...12-2007004.jpg
The reluctant to open Green Star Polyps - http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i2...12-2007006.jpg
Yellow Polyps - http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i2...12-2007008.jpg
Green Palys & Green Stripe Mushroom - http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i2...12-2007007.jpg
Feedback would be great!!

peef

Apoxy for the frags and rubberband the mushroom. That or put it on a peice of LR and put bridal veil over it to hold in place until it attaches.

paintballer768

Originally Posted by peef
Apoxy for the frags and rubberband the mushroom. That or put it on a peice of LR and put bridal veil over it to hold in place until it attaches.
It slimed its way out of the rubberband the first time. I found a really good spot in a corner of some LR out of the really strong across-tank flow, with good lighting. I can only hope. It this doesnt work, then superglue it is.
Does anyone have any suggestions as far as what might look better in my tank (like rearranging) or anything? Thanks

peef

Unless you start adding a bunch more live rock or something I personally think you have a great aquascape!

paintballer768

Almost 1200 views and no feedback? Come on now.
Well anyways, this may be a dumb question, but a saw a few pics and it kind of made me think otherwise. Can zoos and mushrooms come in contact with each other without attacking each other? Ive seen some pics where it seems theyre touching and doing fine, but I thought coral attacked any others that came into its area other than other of the same kind, i.e. mushroom wont attack mushroom.

perfectdark

Zoa's are more aggressive than shrooms. Shrooms in my tank have never hurt anything they have touched. I try to keep every one a safe distance when I first place things in there. But where they grow, I cannot control and if they get to touch eachother I just let nature take its course.

paintballer768

Originally Posted by PerfectDark
Zoa's are more aggressive than shrooms. Shrooms in my tank have never hurt anything they have touched. I try to keep every one a safe distance when I first place things in there. But where they grow, I cannot control and if they get to touch eachother I just let nature take its course.
Thats a good way to think of it. I tried to put them either on opposite sides of a rock, or on completely different rocks all together. Ive done what I can do.
I just came home today to find the mushrooms maybe 3x the size of when I bought them haha. Smallest one being the size of a quarter right now, largest being about the diameter of just over a half dollar coin. Its crazy I never knew they could stretch this much.
Seeing this now, Im going to get some Ricordeas at one point or another, and when I do Im going to get a nice new hitchhiker-free rock for them all to themselves.