Startin up a 24gal AqPod Reef

paintballer768

Originally Posted by PerfectDark
Looks good... I really like the aquascaping...looks like you got some hair algea. Maybe a couple of emerald greens would help take care of that.
Thank you. 2 days the clean up crew has been in and nearly half the tank is wiped clean. They got it covered pretty well :)

paintballer768

Originally Posted by peef
Nice aquascape. One thing I was reading above is that you have loads of bubble in the tank. This is actually not a good thing like in a FW. The bubbles actually catch proteins amoung other things and cause them to rise to the surface, this in turn make oxygen transfer very hard on the tank and lowers the overall oxygen level in the tank. I made the same mistake when I started. If you are having bubbles coming out of your PH and its not an aerator that you yourself put in your water level is probably too low and the PH is sucking in the air. You should ideally not have any bubbles in the tank and just crystal clear water. Good luck!
Really? I thought the bubbles were necessary for oxygen exchange. Ill redirect the jet tomorrow, to try what you said. If everything dies then Ill be pissed haha

perfectdark

Oxygen exchange cant take place by the oxygen being encapsulated in a bubble. If you think about it the bubble doesnt release the oxygen until it reaches the surface and pops then the O2 is released into the air not the tank.

paintballer768

Yea, but I thought the bigger the splash made by the jet, the more oxygen is replaced in the water.
Last night I adjusted the jet for no splashing to experiment what peef said. Everything is living still so its a success. Not many bubbles at all, but things are doing good. Only thing thats very different is that the flow is reduced now. A powerhead may be in the future but who knows.
I put my hand in the tank today to clean some algae that I missed yesterday, and the cleaner shrimp jumped on my arm to clean it. It was so funny

paintballer768

Oh yea I meant to ask. I saw something called a firefish at the LFS. They look so cool. I thinking about getting a false percula and maybe 2 of those for filling up the tank with fish. Good or no?

peef

Do you have a hang on filter? That is what it sounds like to me, if so nothing wrong with that but I would get yourself like a Maxi-Jet 400, for a cross current in the tank, off of E buyers...hint...store. They are like 10 bucks or so.

paintballer768

Ok thanks. My filter is the one thats in the back of my nano. Whatever comes with the tank. Ill check out the MaxiJet 400.
So is the firefish good or bad idea with false percs? and how do I get arid of these damn hydroid jellies? One or two keep popped up every day. Im up to about 5 that are pin-prick size. Thank you

paintballer768

More tank woes. There is DEFINATELY something else living in the tank that I put in there. I walked into the room, turned on the lights, happened to look at a small gap between 2 rocks, and then something retracted into one of them. Dont know what it is, but its gotta be at least 2" long to reach the other rock from where it retracted to.
Today once I get home Im getting some distilled water and letting it soak. Ill find something dead in there for sure.

perfectdark

Not sure about the jellies I never encountered them before. As for your retracting hitchiker most likley its just a bristle worm very common scavanger detris eater. No worries you prob have many of them you havent seen yet. As for the fire fish, they are cool and they come in a few different colorations I had a purple fire fish before it was really cool.

paintballer768

Eh. Still dont like knowing something is in the tank and I dont know what it is. I think this might actually be the only one. Ill leave him for now, maybe Ill catch him out of his spot again and then I can find out the real culprit.

teresaq

check for a mantis. you may have picked one up in your live rock. use a red light on a flash light at night after lights out.

paintballer768

My friends father is a marine biologist, and runs an aquarium maintenance service. I described to him and he says it sounds almost certainly that its a bristle worm.Im going to buy some of the like 40 feather dusters that have breeded in his home tank and some mushrooms he despises.
Anyone have any methods of removing this worm that I can try? I heard they regenerate if pieces break off, and you DO NOT want to touch them. Thanks for the help everyone. P.S. I know most are harmless but he's had the carnivorous kind before and says that I shouldnt take any chances with leaving it in. And I agree with that one. Hes got a bristleworm in his sons tank and it ate everything

paintballer768

Ok Im about to order a green ricordea florida from SWF.com within the next few days. I would like to know, what would be good to feed it? And if theres any recommended supplements that you all think would work well?
Is frozen brine shrimp thawed out in saltwater sufficient? I will be spot feeding as well.
Thank you

paintballer768

I tried to order the Ric, but I realized for livestock here, it needs be an order or 79.99$ or higher. And theres a couple of expensive charges, processing and fuel fees 9.99$ each. I dont have 100$ to spend atm, so Im going to go to my LFS hopefully tomorrow or soon.
Any response to the food for corals question in my last post?

peef

The ricordias for the most part only need lighting and flow. They will benefit from occasional spot feeding of something like mysis and phyto but not all that often is necessary.

paintballer768

Originally Posted by peef
The ricordias for the most part only need lighting and flow. They will benefit from occasional spot feeding of something like mysis and phyto but not all that often is necessary.
Oh ok. They sound quite easy to take care of. And what about for the general zoos and mushrooms?

peef

Zoos and mushrooms are even easier, they just need flow and light. low to medium light for both and low to medium/high flow.

paintballer768

Oh great. Sounds like its going to be easy keeping those healthy. Theres a kind of attachment that goes on the nano's jet, only one of them. And it has lots of little smaller joints, if you want to call them that, and it lets you direct the flow for each of those, so it sort of eliminates the need for a PH for the most part. Great little thing. Once my LFS gets the attachment part in-stock, Ill be picking it up.
Point is, my flow will be great once I get that and Ill be ready to go. Im thinking for first coral being a Ric, Floridia or Yuma, and like a hard tube coco worm in a nice color or just a feather duster with a nice crown.

paintballer768

This has no point or anything, I just find it kinda funny. One of my larger blue leg hermits decided to move to a new shell today. But not just any shell, a shell thats quite possibly 4 times the size of his last one. Its funny watching him lug that huge thing around and up my LR, but he seems to be doing it fine

weasel117

ok whatever paintballser23432 it not like any of us here dont already know how to start up a 24 gal aqpod reef ok so dont even try you nincompoop weasel117 out