Starting a saltwater aquarium

SeaBear

When I say live sand. I mean sand from an actual tank with living organisms. It will add good bacteria and organisms to the sand bed. Technically the sand we buy in bags in alive, but not really. Lol. Just a single large raw shrimp tie a string around the tail and once you get a ammonia reading remove it. Continue ghost feeding, do a water a change (20%), test and see if the ammonia has gone back down to zero. Once the amonia spikes and comes back down, the tank has cycled.

Then the real fun begins.

What kind of fish do you have in mind?
Ok i know this is old but i'm just starting my tank.
Now how often do you ghost feed and test the tank? Everytime you change the water? And how often do you change the water?

streamer

do you have anyone close to you with an established tank that you can take the nem to until you get your tank sorted out...

Hi,
I am moving and I need to find out how to take my fish tank apart and how do I transport my fishes? Also I have live rock in my tank. Is it ok to remove it from the water?

streamer

How far are you moving and what is the temp where you live..I have done it a couple to times, get totes for your rock, airtight pails for the fish and save as much water as you can.. have a bunch of fresh salt water mixed ahead and think of it as a water change...last but not least, depending on the size of your tank, a bunch of people with strong backs and don't put your tank in the back of a pick up truck, I have heard a few horror stories of tanks cracking...
It can be done but, to save a lot of aggravation hire knowledgeable experts...good luck with the move...

streamer

if you think the fish are going to get cool or cold, put them in bags and then put the bags in a cooler to keep them warm...when fish are shipped in, they can be in the bags for hours...

Chad C.

I've moved my freshwater tank a few times, but never my saltwater. Sooo I might be wrong but for FW I filled up 5g buckets with the water from the tank and scooped the fish with a net. 15 minutes isn't that long a drive for them to be in a changed environment as long as you use the same water from your aquarium.

I've moved my freshwater tank a few times, but never my saltwater. Sooo I might be wrong but for FW I filled up 5g buckets with the water from the tank and scooped the fish with a net. 15 minutes isn't that long a drive for them to be in a changed environment as long as you use the same water from your aquarium.
Ok...will do that! Thank you!

streamer

I have used the zip lock freezer bags for moving fish, just remember that its a 15 min drive, then you have to set the tank up and get the water to temp before adding the fish...how big is your tank that you are moving...

Hi,
Can someone help with this. So I just recently put in a green star polyp coral and a few days later I had tons of tiny white/clear bugs in my tank. Does the coral have anything to do with this and is this a problem? Don't don't seem to be bugging my clown fishes or anything. How did they end up in my tank since I didn't put them in there?