stocklist for a 100g

cranberry

How are you going to make a stock list when you don't even know what the angler is? How can the LFS say it's going to grow only another inch when they don't know what it is?

skate020

they know wat it is, i think anyways.
i just never asked them.
i done some research on frogfish last nite and found a website on how to ID them. so when i pick it up today i will look,
i think colour wise, it maybe be on its last, or second to last phase.
but the colour i dont know much about, so cranberry could you help me on it?, do they still do tthere colour changeing phases when fully grown?
and when researched i arrowed it down to a few. i'll list them out.
bare in mind this only cost me £25, so i doubt its going to be some rare thing, unless its mis-ID
so it could be:
glauert's frogfish
hispid frogfish
indian frogfish
painted frogfish
Striped frogfish
sargassum frogfish
Three-spot frogfish
i know theres alot but i'll look at the ways to ID them when i pick up mine:D

cranberry

Colour doesn't mean anything. (Besides some very distinct juvie colours you can find). They can always change them.
If you can get me some pics of specific characteristics, I may be able to ID it. Not all the ID websites are correct. If you found a site that ended in ch (as in www.whateversite.ch)... great site, just not 100% correct. Even a very common and excellent book has some errors.
At the LFSs.... 90% of IDs are incorrect or non specific.

skate020

ok, thankyou for the help, im going to go pick it up in a minute. i got the info from a website called www.frogfish.ch
so yehh, i wasnt looking at the colours, although they did have a chart of colours in there, it looked like it was suggesting colour to change as they mature, and brown the majority of the time being the ending colour or the second to last colour, i know frofish blend to their surroundings so im guessing that site was 100% accurate, but they had so decent ways of IDing them, like spots on the body and the shape of the fishing pole etc.
the list i put up before and all the frogfish that it could be based on size. my one is about 16cm, and will get to about 18, may not grow anymore now, but based on that size anywhere between 15-20cm i looked up.
when i get back i'llpost some pics:D, it looks in nice conditiion:D

cranberry

That the site I was talking about above..... the one that ends in .ch. Not all the IDs on that site is accurate, but it's one of my favs.

skate020

ok, AHH i picked it up today

i love it already.
will have to get a fair few feeder shrimp and have them in a bucket of something tho to feed it with before it goes onto frozen. cos it doesnt take frozen yet. atleast thats wat the guy at LFS said. but gettin it to frozen should be too hard.
i could just put it on something and wave it infront of his nose :D
i'll upload some pics now:D
is annoying, cos yesterday there was a pistol shrimp and goby for £15 in there, and so i was gna buy them aswell to go into my 10g but they sold them :(
ahhh wells.
heres a couple pics, ones of the angel that died:(
sorry about the spongebob thing, my lil brother insisted on me having it in there.
and the stripes on it
s tail makes me suggest its an indian angler?
help cranberry lols

skate020

OMG cranberry im SOOOO happy,
i put one of the chromis in the tank with him and he didnt really get it, when it swam past he looked at it but it never got close enough to be eaten,
the i put a frozen cockle on a kebab stick and as soon as it was withing distance he took it:D
got him onto frozen alreadyy :p:p:p:D:D

cranberry

Sorry, there is nothing in that picture that would allow me to ID him.
I hope your happy because he took frozen... not because he ignored the damsel this time.
Where are you from again?

skate020

its ok, im not too bothered wat he is, he'll be going into the 130g, so size isnt that bad, and the fish i buy will all be big enough to not get eaten lols.
yehhh im happy that he took to frozen lol, im not bothered about the chromis, i know its not a great thing to do but the chromis is going to get eaten sooner or later by something.
he's got a few stripes on his tail and fins, which leads me to suggest a indian angler:D
when i get the chance i'll take a better, side on pic, when he's in the right position.
and im from england. brighton. very south of england

cranberry

A large angler can eat ALL your above stocklist. ALL. If that's a commerson, which is one of the more commonly sold angler, NOM NOM NOM.
Except I've never seen an angler with a eel. I don't know what they would think of that.
Did you ask the store what they called it?

skate020

fair enough, the LFS said its a small angler, but thats all the info they gave me, and that they've had it for a couple months now and it hasnt grown one bit.
so i think its a small.
but one of my LFS has a full sized lion in, 14". that will be fine. as far as the angels are concerned. i may have to splash out a fair bit more and get a big one, but im sure if i bought a big angel it'll out grow the tank within a year. i know a juvi. would be a deffinate no no.
i doubt it'll take an eel just because of the length of it. i may be worried about an aggresive eel going for it tho, cos its soo slow. a eel might confuse it for something and end up getting killed in the process.
there incredible venemous are they not?
obv i got a month untill my 6ft comes so i can moniter the growth on it:D
either way. i love it:D
chromis is still in living form.

cranberry

Anglers are slow growers... you wouldn't see one that size growing in 2 months.
But I don't know what else to say to you. You ask for advice but then smack down or turn away everything I say. If you think your fish will be fine, why are you asking me?

skate020

i havent smacked down anything?
i said i think because of the pattern on it i think its a indian angler, wich is smallish.
and the LFS said its a dwarf angler and they seemed to be certain on that. there not gna lie.
im not worried about compatibility, if i have trouble with it with the others i'll isolate it.
i just wanted some care info on anglers in general. like when to feed it and how much to feed it. but if you dont wanna bother then dont, i'll just look on the internet for stuff.

skate020

i've been searching around abit on the web. found these lights. metal halide, NOT aquarium lighting, but i can get 20k bulbs and some atinic bulbs for it:D
its like 6x 75w spotlights. so overall 450w:D
only £112.
im just trying them out cos i know there not aquarium lighting so they might not be good, but im makeing a fowlr so it wont really matter, but if they do work, then just a bonus right:D
could maybe add a couple corals if they do works:D

small triggers

as long as you can get 20k bulbs should be fine,,, its the spectrum in the lights you have to worry about...so sounds like this may be a good find for you.

skate020

yehh hopefully the frogfish and stuff done perch on the corals too much.
never mind if they do i mean it is mainly a fish only tank, will just try a couple corals lols:D
i found a nassarius snail in my tank today, dont have a clue were it was from because i've never bought a nassarius lols. but it was fairly big too, weird. i got loads of baby ceriths and now nassarius:D
lol

skate020

and the angler is deffinately not a commerson, it hasnt got the same shape or patterns.
it doesnt have any lumps on its back, just a smooth arch for a back

skate020

updatteee:D:
my mum ordered and paid for the tank today:D:D
i managed to convince her to get me a blue vinyl for the back.
glass sliders (don'tactually know what theseare, i pressume there like a glass lid? any advance on that anyones? lol)
and a cabinet with a white gloss finish:D
cant wait now:D
also Cranberry, the Angler today was right next to the glass so i got a couple snaps of him side on, was only with my phone camera but could be alot easier to ID then the other photo:L
will upload tomorrow after work sometime.

skate020

The frogfish died.
i think the LFS fed it too much and it died of that S.A.D thing, the rotting food business cos i only fed it a couple times and it died.
so i doubt i'll ever get another.
the LFS had a customer come in because he was taking down his tank and gave them 2 majestic angels, a mated pair. aparrantly thats very rare.
and their dirt cheap, £70 each. so i might put a deposit on them and get them in a couple months.
not too sure yet tho.
i keep re doing the stocklist cos i want to find one thats goood:D
im now thinking;
1 large angel, maybe emp. (or the 2 majestics)
1 volitans lions
1 sailfin tang
1 goldentail moray
1 sohal tang?
1 maroon clown

btldreef

Originally Posted by skate020
http:///forum/post/3182864
The frogfish died.
i think the LFS fed it too much and it died of that S.A.D thing, the rotting food business cos i only fed it a couple times and it died.
so i doubt i'll ever get another.
the LFS had a customer come in because he was taking down his tank and gave them 2 majestic angels, a mated pair. aparrantly thats very rare.
and their dirt cheap, £70 each. so i might put a deposit on them and get them in a couple months.
not too sure yet tho.
i keep re doing the stocklist cos i want to find one thats goood:D
im now thinking;
1 large angel, maybe emp. (or the 2 majestics)
1 volitans lions
1 sailfin tang
1 goldentail moray
1 sohal tang?
1 maroon clown
The frogfish may also have died from ich, just keep that in mind.
Anyways, as far as the stocklist, it looks okay to me, however, you might want to eliminate a fish if you're going to do two large angels instead of just the one.