Subielover's Biocube 14 Diary

subielover

I am a very unhappy subielover at the moment! While pruning my chaeto for the first time, I notice that a lot of it is some kind of grape looking thing. After doing some research it turns out that I have 90% grape calupera in my fuge along with a little chaeto. Very irritated. When I originally got the bag of chaeto, I simply went to my favorite lfs and asked for a bag of chaeto. When I bought it, it looked like chaeto to me, but I was very new at that point
Anyhow I am very worried now that the calupera is going to go asexual on me and grenade my tank
So I think I am going to take it all out and replace it with 100% chaeto
Pisses me off though that this is what I have had all along. I will say though that it is growing like mad in my tank and probably is/was eating up a lot of phosphates and nitrates, but I just don't trust it. Had to vent on here, sorry for being a downer

nwdyr

that sucks Bro! I added Cheato to my tank about 3 mo's ago and then all of a sudden I had a HUGE red slime prob. It came from the LFS in the Cheato
I tried everything and finally had to treat it with Marcyen (sp) i hate to treat with chems but i had no choice
Good luck and keep us posted

nissan577

i know that happened to me as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but the chaeto is working great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! love the new pics man! tank coming along great

subielover

Not yet, one of my buddies has some so I will wait till I see him, probably in another week or 2. Until then I think I will take all of the grape out.

rotarymagic

rofl seen a few tanks get nuked by caluerpa going s-e-xual and rereleasing nutrients at alarming rates into tanks...
I heard if you keep a fuge light on 24hrs it keeps them from doing this, but who wants to do that?

spanko

Been reading you other thread too subie. I would lose the darn caulerpa. Even if your fuge has to wait for some Chaeto, however with you in display algae problem I would not wait too long. IMO too much of a risk to keep it. I can't remember Randy's screen name but he has a thread where some went over in a school tank and the pain it caused. I'll try to find it.
Here it is............
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/320567/caulerpa-in-your-dt
I'll go post this in the other thread too.

subielover

Alright so all the grape calupera is out, it actually came out really easy because it was one gigantic entity

Tomorrow I am getting a bicolor blenny, I just can't help myself

subielover

Thanks whisk, much appreciated

Also ordered some rowaphos, hopefully that will help with the algae. I figure with rowaphos, chemipure elite, purigen, a bicolor blenny, and me I will conquer the algae...hopefully

rotarymagic

Originally Posted by subielover
http:///forum/post/2810018
Thanks whisk, much appreciated

Also ordered some rowaphos, hopefully that will help with the algae. I figure with rowaphos, chemipure elite, purigen, a bicolor blenny, and me I will conquer the algae...hopefully

roflmao... yeah dude if it doesn't well... I'll give smith and wesson call for ya...

seriously though, there's no way you couldn't stop algae with that stuff... are you running chaeto too?
I'm going chemipure, purigen, rowaphos(may pull this if the turf scrubber starting mowing my lawn, doing my laundry, and washing my dishes like the claims lol) and turf scrubber on my Tunze tank...

subielover

Yeah the turf scrubber has been hyped quite a bit, lol. About the chaeto, I had grape calupera in my fuge and I didn't realize it, so I pulled it all out today. In the next couple weeks I will get some more chaeto, because right now all that is in the fuge is a pinch of chaeto. It sucks because I had a good amount of pods back there that I am sure got thrown out when I pulled the grape calupera out
Oh well they will replenish themselves, especially when I get some new chaeto

Rebel-no new acans yet, a buddy is holding them in his tank, along with a couple other goodies till I can get down to meet him. I can't freaking wait.
And I am very excited about getting my bicolor
tomorrow

nissan577

your getting a bicolor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yay finally man. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! your the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! bicolor rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nissan577

i cant wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! im so excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hrry subie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i wanna see him/her already

subielover

I will get some pics up in a bit. I gotta say that the bicolor blenny is THE coolest fish. He is constantly eating hair algae, which is really cool. He hides, and perches on a rock that has another rock over it and just checks everything out. He is either just perched or swimming up to the rocks and eating algae pretty voraciously I might add. When I put him in after drip acclimating, the sixline went after him. I think they had a little skirmish in the one cave, they kicked some stuff up that had settled on some of rocks. After that though they have been fine, even swimming right next to each other, one looking for algae the other looking for pods. I love him, he is great.
I also got cyclo-peeze, the frozen kind. I fed my duncans, torch, zoas and the fish went buck wild for them too, they must really like it. My lfs had a sale on fish and cyclo-peeze today

Pics are coming, although he is a little tough because he likes to be in the darker portions to perch.