Subielover's Biocube 14 Diary

subielover

Thanks guys

I don't really target feed it. Although today when I was feeding the sun coral, I did squirt a bit of cyclo-peeze near it.

subielover

I have nitrates
Did a test last night and had a reading of between 20-30. The last few test I did was showing them around 20 so I wasn't too concerned, but now I want to get a grip on what is going on. A couple possibilities, in my mind are the live rock rubble in the back. I have never cleaned back there. Also my purigen and chemi-pure are probably just about exhausted. I will have to get some more of them for sure. Any other suggestions?

spanko

Have always wondered why people put live rock rubble in the back chamber of an all in one tank. IMO too little of an amount to really make a difference, and if you are going to do that you might as well leave the bio balls in and do a cleaning schedule on them. So yeah, you probably have a goodly amount of detritus sitting on the floor back there contributing to the nitrates. How often are you replacing the chemical filters? I usually do it around the 5-6 month mark and also replace and light bulbs at that point too. Kind of like turning the clocks back and changing the batteries in the smoke detectors, one thing triggers the other.

subielover

Tank has been setup since July. I have had the purigen and chemi-pure since then. I just placed an order for both, so they will be in next week. I think they will help.
The reason I had rubble in the back was to use them when attaching frags that I got that were on plugs. For instance, my torch and duncans and a bunch of zoas were all put onto rubble that came out of my fuge. I guess I will pull the couple pieces that are back there and put them into the DT. Doing a water change later today, so I will be sure to siphon out everything I can back there. Thanks spanko

spanko

Not familiar with the 14 gallon rear chamber scheme. Going from chamber 2 to chamber 3 in the 29 gallon the water goes under the wall where it meets a blue sponge located in chamber 3. This keep the schazzizle out of the return pump. Sponge gets cleaned in my tank with water changes. I hunt out any pods or small starfish I can see and throw them in the DT before rinsing the sponge and putting it back in the spot. Question is Do you have this sponge, are you cleaning it because it can be a detritus trap, and if no sponge do you clean out the intake on the pump which will also trap the aforementioned schazzizle?
That was a long sentence, sorry!

subielover

No sponge, I removed it long ago. I do have to clean out where the return pump sucks in the water, usually just some pieces of chaeto stuck in there. I generally have to clean it out once every week or so. I think the 29 has the same setup as the 14 does, as far as the back chambers go.

rebelprettyboy

GOD those blastos are some big heads!! I cant wait to get settled into my apt and get settled in so I can start ordering stuff again!! Its killin me

subielover

Originally Posted by Freeborder_01
http:///forum/post/2854545
your duncan is looking awesome! I can't wait to get one of my own. Also good job getting that hair algae in check.
Thanks, they are my favorite. The hair algae was just a matter of better tank husbandry.
Originally Posted by rebelprettyboy
http:///forum/post/2854592
GOD those blastos are some big heads!! I cant wait to get settled into my apt and get settled in so I can start ordering stuff again!! Its killin me
Yeah they are. There is that one gigantic head in the front and probably another 8-9 medium heads around the sides. It is a super fast grower.
Originally Posted by NaNo-NeWb1983

http:///forum/post/2854594
looking great as always
Thank ya sir, I appreciate everyone's comments.

jerryatrick

Those blastos must be getting the perfect amount of flow. I know the green color in the center is brighter in person. Frag it soon and let me get half.

alexknight

Looking good! planning on adding some more stuff soon? I have a black sun coral, I am thinking about getting one like yours now haha.