Subielover's Biocube 14 Diary

subielover

OK here are the new pics, tank looks good except for this dark reddish or almost brown algae on my sand. I tried to siphon a bit out during my water change, but anyone know what it is and how to treat it. My snails don't seem to be eating it
Maybe I need a larger cuc, not sure.
Anyhow I am looking at a pretty cool 2 head coco worm for the tank
We will see if I can make it happen.
Hope everyone likes the pics, I was trying to get a good one of my wrasse but he is a bit shy I think

FTS

The algae on the sand, any ideas??

subielover

Thanks rebel, that is what I thought about the cyano. From what I have read, the main thing I have to do is increase the flow. I had been thinking about adding a koralia 1 to the right side of the tank, sort of aimed at the front right corner. Maybe I should get a move on it.
I only feed my wrasse every other day about 1/3 of a cube of frozen mysis so I wouldn't think there would be a lot of excess nutrients

Is there anything else I could do besides increasing the flow and siphoning it out when I do my water changes?

subielover

Well I just found a good deal on a Koralia 1, should be here by the end of the week. The koralia puts out 400gph add that to my maxi-jet 900 which is 240gph and I should have plenty of flow in the tank

subielover

Sooo, all my coral seems to be doing pretty well. By all my coral I mean my, frags of rde and pink zuit suits and my unnamed paly
, however when I added more live rock last week I had a bit of a avalanche. So my pink zuits got pretty banged up, and only one made it through. Really stinks because they were my favorite
Anyhow everything is opening but the one pink zuit I have left. It is on the same piece of lr as the rde's that are open and loving life. I don't get it, could it just be recovering and staying closed for awhile? All my parameters are good, anyone have any ideas? Rebel? Anyone?

subielover

I just found a starfish in my tank! Any ideas on if it is good or not? It is kinda crazy that this is the first time I ever saw him and he is probably 2 inches wide

Let me know what you think, I am also going to post on the hitchhiker forum.

tr1gger

Originally Posted by subielover
http:///forum/post/2726876
I just found a starfish in my tank! Any ideas on if it is good or not? It is kinda crazy that this is the first time I ever saw him and he is probably 2 inches wide

Let me know what you think, I am also going to post on the hitchhiker forum.
Pics ?!?!

paintballer768

The starfish is just a beneficial scavenger that probably came in on some rock. Very cool find! As for the cyano, if you do not notice a difference with the increased flow, then its time to tackle nutrient control. Overfeeding causes phosphates and nitrates, both of which can fuel nitrates. My recommendation is the increased flow, and conscious effort to cut back on overfeeding will get it gone.

subielover

Thanks for the comments, and thanks for the advice paintballer. I hope the extra flow takes care of it as well, and I have cut down on how much I am feeding. My next water change, on saturday, I am going to siphon as much of it as I can.
Oh yeah, page 4 happy dance

paintballer768

Originally Posted by subielover
http:///forum/post/2726920
Thanks for the comments, and thanks for the advice paintballer. I hope the extra flow takes care of it as well, and I have cut down on how much I am feeding. My next water change, on saturday, I am going to siphon as much of it as I can.
Oh yeah, page 4 happy dance

Sounds like a plan haha

blazin2k6

nice pics subie, Love the starfish. thats cool. I think its a brittle starfish of some kind. Pretty much harmless. Eats leftover scraps like hermits and everything else that scavenge for food. try to get you a Fighting conch. Thats what i had got for cyano and it took care of it within 2 days.

subielover

Hey Blazin thanks for stopping in, I was told that a fighting conch wouldn't make it they that they needed a bigger tank. Am I wrong, I would like to be because I would gladly get one, I was just under the assumption that they would starve

nwdyr

I would beef up the cuc , my fav's (and I cant spell the name
) is nasaris snails
anyway there are the little guys that hide under the sand then they come out a eat EVERYTHING thats hits the sand! Cyno sucks! I had a BAD out break ,it happened like over nite. I treated it with Maracyn , it worked and that was weeks ago never came back. the stuff is reef safe so you might want to consider it if it takes over like mine did. Tank is looking cool , I got allot of those little brittle stars , but mine are tiny.

blazin2k6

I have a fighting conch in both of my nanos and they do a wonderful job of eating algae off the sand. I dont know if they suck the sand up through their whatever it is but wow they get it clean. You should definately try one out :) And i think KAT74 has a fighting conch in her 14 gallon biocube. Only GET 1 though. I have seen someone in here with like 5 turbo snails in one nano tank. Total overkill cause i dont think they gonna have that much hair algae to keep em fed but hey. I only have about 3 snails in each of my tanks. Maybe only 3 astreas in my jbj and 2 astreas in my aquapod and 3 nassarius in each. Snails tend to starve to death i think if they dont have enough algae to eat.

genius172

hey Subie,
I wanted to say that your tank looks really good man!
and thank you for all the advice that you have been given me on my nano.

subielover

I would say about the same at the moment. My new koralia 1 should be here Saturday so once that is in I think it will help, I already cut back on feeding so hope it works.
Genius172-You are welcome, I am still learning myself but lately I have had a lot of time on my hands so I can stay up to date on everyone's threads
. It is such a fun and rewarding hobby, we all spend so much time on our tanks that it is cool to be able to come on and talk with people of similar interest.
I like it anyhow
Guess I am rambling a bit, that's because its late and I can't sleep. Too much
I guess

subielover

My tank is looking a little better as far as the cyano goes, but tomorrow my koralia 1 is arriving and will be going in
Hopefully, that will get rid of the couple of dead spots I have.
I have a question though about my sixline. After the actinics go out and the moonlights come on, he goes MIA. Now behind my main rock group is a lump of sand. Is it possible that he is burying himself in the sand at night? I thought I read somewhere that sometimes wrasses will sleep under the sand, or dive under it when they are scared.
Anybody have a sixline that does this, or any other experiences??