Sun coral pics

sufunk

Cool, have never actually seen a black 1 in person. What do you feed and how long have you had it phoenix?

phoenixfla

Generally I feed it Spirulina Brine and Cyclopese. I also feed it a blender mix of stuff from the seafood deli. I have had it for about 4 months. It has added several new polyps.

victoria

Hi Sufunk:
I bought a nice sun coral from Coral Seas Pets, 441 and Prospect 3 weeks ago for my 125. I love it but it's taking me a long time to feed it every night, thought you might have some advice, I've been using the cup method because my sailfin tang quickly figured out where the easy meal was. I have to watch the sun during digestion (1hour+) because the sailfin has figured out how to flip the 1 quart container over the sun.
I've been injecting Cloyopeeze (sp?), brine and mysis shrimp daily but not sure if every polyp is eating because of the cup method. I have been told that each polyp needs to be fed seperately to survive, is this true?
Also, mine has no coral left to expand on, there are many small polyps spreading to the bottom, is there a way to offer it another coral to grow onto? Haven't fragged any of my corals yet so unsure how to or if suns do this.
Thanks so much
Also, Big Fort Lauderdale crowd on this site, please let me know when you will be doing a trade...

sufunk

Hey victoria,
I too have been trouble feeding.
1)As for fish knocking the cup over, i put a rock on top which prevents that. My problem is after i take the cup off, its fully extended and looks AMAZING, then my cleaner and fire shrimp come picking at the leftovers and makes it retract. I have to leave the cup on for like 3-4 hours now to make sure as little as possible is left to pick out of the polyps "mouths"
2)Mine has so many heads, its impossible to be sure every one is fed, i shoot ALOT of cyclopeeze in the cup over the course of about 30 minutes, making sure every section gets a good bath in it and hope that each gets some
3) as to spreading, mine is the same, it has NO room to expand on its rock either. Im not sure how they reproduce. I have tons of tiny new heads all over but i dont think they will spread to other rocks like xenias or zoos will. I think they actually spawn but im not sure, maybe some experts can chime in on that.
Last, do you know a good place to get a tank and stand local? im looking for a 180-240 reef but cant find a good one or price.

victoria

So I'm not the only one having a problem, thank you. I had read on another thread that they took the sun coral out and put it in a bowl, it's feeding time and I just did it, I'll let you know how it turns out.... I think it's stress level will decline this way, also my Pinnatus batfish is getting big and doesn't appreciate a cup in his swim space..
Also, regarding your tank acquisition...did you want new or are you looking at used with all of the set up. I spoke with someone in Deerfield yesterday that has a 300 that he used for fresh water chiclids, sounded expensive though. Also, know someone who has I believe a 240 or 300 gallon with everything used for $1000. Otherwise I hate to say I'd buy a new tank from Big Al's and and have a stand made, or even Pet Supermarket has good stand deals locally.
I am a big advocate to used tanks, mine was up 1 month before Wilma and did great beacuse it's a 7 year old established tank with more choralline(sp) algae growth than I've seen anywhere. I'm a novice and this tanks established balance has saved my rear end many many times.

sufunk

Ive read of people taking them out and putting them in a cup but that has 2 problems to me.
1) i think its alot of stress to do every day. From what i know ,suns are very delicate and can be easily injured.
2) what my shrimp pick at is the little bit the polyps have hanging out their mouths, even after 2-4 hours. That would still be there even with the cup method so that wouldnt help me.
Im looking for a new tank, preferably, i went to big als and they have a nice 210 72lx24wx30d but i want 72x30x24, dont want it deeper than 24". Also, i really want this to be my last upgrade for a LONG time so i want eurobracing if possible. I think it just looks soooo much better than regular bracing.
Send me an emmail about your friend with the 240 and 300 at sufunk@bellsouth.net please

victoria

The bowl method is great so far, they have never eaten so well, we'll see.
And yes, will send, don't have the contactinfor handy.
Thanks a bunch...V

mag395

hey I live in the Ft. Lauderdale area too, where is this Jawz place you guys have been talking about? Thanks

sufunk

Its on Broward Blvd., just east of 95 on the North side. KInda hard to see if youre going west, but if youre going east and look left, cant miss it

victoria

FYI
Inter-Ocean Aquarium in Pompano on Federal and Copans has reopened under new ownership, it's been up a week and they already have a nice selection of corals at what I thought were good prices... May be worth checking out

N

n_sarno

I have a book and it says
max size: colonies up to 5 inches
Minimum aquarium size: Small tanks 10 gal or larger
Lighting: Prefer dim light, only because to much light my cause overgrowth by algea.
Foods & Feeding Because they lack zooxanthellae, they must be oriented where feeding them is easy, as they must be fed a lot. Suitable foods include adult brine shrimp, mysids, diced fish, meaty planton, Never feed them less then twice a week.
Captive Care (summed up): Best reserved for more advanced aquarist or someone who is willing to feed them regularly. When well-fed, they appear "bloated," the polyps increase in size, and new polyps form. If in good condition, they reproduce by the use of asexual planulae. When this occurs, small yellow polyps appear in various areas around the tank.
They prefer high current areas. Their polyps are normally retracted during the day, but the animals car be acclimated to feed during the day and remain open.
anyway hope that helps!
HERES MINE!

sufunk

Welcome to the club

Gotta get another pic after it gets adjusted and eats a few meals, then he'll really open up for ya.

mag395

hey victoria and sufunk, I checked out both Carribean Reef Aquariums (formerly Inter-Ocean aquariums) and Jawz. They're both great. Both have a great selection of corals. Good service at Carribean too.
Also, Jawz has the biggest clam I have ever seen, about 14 inches across!

sufunk2

Originally Posted by mag395
hey victoria and sufunk, I checked out both Carribean Reef Aquariums (formerly Inter-Ocean aquariums) and Jawz. They're both great. Both have a great selection of corals. Good service at Carribean too.
Also, Jawz has the biggest clam I have ever seen, about 14 inches across!
Gotta check out carib. reef. Yeah, that clam at Jawz is HUGE, everything in that tank is!!!. I think it must be radioactive!!! The owner is great and gives great deals.

victoria

Jawz had adult emperor angels for $99...awesome deal too bad I can't have one, I want to post a picture of my sun coral but it keeps saying the picture is too large, is there an easy fix. I think mine competes with yours, close to 5 inches.
Coral Seas Pets (441 and prospect) is a worthwhile trip, very different store, it's all corals, he has things that have been in his tanks for over 20 years ! Some unusual stuff as well.