Sure you can have health insurance (not sure how you will pay for it).

phixer

I wonder if any other country with socialized health care has the same amount of debt as the US?

2quills

I wonder if any other country with socialized health care has the same amount of debt as the US?
Out of the 33 or so developed nations we are (or were) the only acception to universal health care.
Nobody has a national debt as high as ours (call Guiness). I suppose we're just fortunate like that.
If anyone thinks that this law isn't designed to create a larger welfare state then they are fooling themselves. Then again if you don't mind being labelled the government's bitch then the ACA isn't an all bad deal. Well, accept for all those people who got screwed over on the website and were forced to pay non subsidized prices to get their pre determined treatments and surgeries. Wonder what's taking so long for those people to get their appeals? Ouch!

aggiealum

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///t/397098/sure-you-can-have-health-insurance-not-sure-how-you-will-pay-for-it#post_3538433
Out of the 33 or so developed nations we are (or were) the only acception to universal health care.
Nobody has a national debt as high as ours (call Guiness). I suppose we're just fortunate like that.
If anyone thinks that this law isn't designed to create a larger welfare state then they are fooling themselves. Then again if you don't mind being labelled the government's bitch then the ACA isn't an all bad deal. Well, accept for all those people who got screwed over on the website and were forced to pay non subsidized prices to get their pre determined treatments and surgeries. Wonder what's taking so long for those people to get their appeals? Ouch!
I'm still waiting for the reasonable alternatives to ACA. Republicans kept touting this "lowering insurance costs by allowing insurance companies to provide coverage across state lines", but I don't see how that would reduce healthcare costs, nor would it resolve the issue of over 46 million Americans who couldn't afford healthcare because of the outrageous premium costs. The healthcare providers and medical industry has such powerful PAC's and lobbyist, there was no way Congress would ever push back and force those industries to reduce costs and quit gouging people with ridiculous charges like $25 for a Band-Aid, or $10 for an aspirin. Then there's the pharmaceutical companies that make billions off of drugs that cost them pennies to make. You have individuals with heart conditions that have to drop hundreds of dollars each month for medications, and that AFTER they buy them at a discount rate. If ACA wasn't implemented, then it would've remained status quo with insurance premiums climbing at an average of 5% each year, with fewer benefits, higher deductibles, and larger OOP maximums. And your "welfare state" analogy would still exist, with it getting larger every day as more and more Americans just say to heck with it and get their health issues taken care of in local County hospitals on the TAXPAYERS dime. It's the inevitable "screw me now, or screw me later".

As far as our national debt being the highest in the world? Sorry, Greece and Japan has us beat by a mile. Not to say that's a good thing. But as complex as our economy is, and the huge gap when it comes to income equality between the various classes, it's not surprising our net government debt as a percent of GDP continues to grow. Congress just passed some trillion dollar farm subsidy bill that they claim they needed to do. How's that going to reduce our overall debt?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_public_debt

darthtang aw

I'm still waiting for the reasonable alternatives to ACA.  Republicans kept touting this "lowering insurance costs by allowing insurance companies to provide coverage across state lines", but I don't see how that would reduce healthcare costs, nor would it resolve the issue of over 46 million Americans who couldn't afford healthcare because of the outrageous premium costs.  The healthcare providers and medical industry has such powerful PAC's and lobbyist, there was no way Congress would ever push back and force those industries to reduce costs and quit gouging people with ridiculous charges like $25 for a Band-Aid, or $10 for an aspirin.  Then there's the pharmaceutical companies that make billions off of drugs that cost them pennies to make.  You have individuals with heart conditions that have to drop hundreds of dollars each month for medications, and that AFTER they buy them at a discount rate.  If ACA wasn't implemented, then it would've remained status quo with insurance premiums climbing at an average of 5% each year, with fewer benefits, higher deductibles, and larger OOP maximums.  And your "welfare state" analogy would still exist, with it getting larger every day as more and more Americans just say to heck with it and get their health issues taken care of in local County hospitals on the TAXPAYERS dime.  It's the inevitable "screw me now, or screw me later".
As far as our national debt being the highest in the world?  Sorry, Greece and Japan has us beat by a mile.  Not to say that's a good thing.  But as complex as our economy is, and the huge gap when it comes to income equality between the various classes, it's not surprising our net government debt as a percent of GDP continues to grow.  Congress just passed some trillion dollar farm subsidy bill that they claim they needed to do.  How's that going to reduce our overall debt?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_public_debt
Your link is false. It is a comparison of debt as a measurement to GDP. No other country in the world matches our total debt.
http://www.economist.com/content/global_debt_clock
The other thing you fail to mention is greece is actually cutting their debt by roughly 14%. Japan cuts theirs as well. I will address the AFA questions later.

bang guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieAlum http:///t/397098/sure-you-can-have-health-insurance-not-sure-how-you-will-pay-for-it#post_3538446
How would a single payer system work?

Not that I'm a fan of bigger government but a single payer system would make the US federal government the standard medical insurance carrier. Medical insurance would become a mandatory payroll deduction and medical claims against the federal policy would be presented to the federal government for payment instead of private insurance companies.

Basically, Medicare without the age restriction.

2quills

Percentage works. My reference was to actual size of the debt. Certainly there are countries worse off then us.
The ACA obsiously didn't solve much. We'll be getting another house back soon since one of our buyers health insurer will no longer cover the cost of her thyroid cancer.
Had another one tell us about how her insulin medicine that was costing her $60 a month now cost her $300 out of pocket.

phixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang Guy http:///t/397098/sure-you-can-have-health-insurance-not-sure-how-you-will-pay-for-it#post_3538450
Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieAlum
http:///t/397098/sure-you-can-have-health-insurance-not-sure-how-you-will-pay-for-it#post_3538446
How would a single payer system work?

Not that I'm a fan of bigger government but a single payer system would make the US federal government the standard medical insurance carrier. Medical insurance would become a mandatory payroll deduction and medical claims against the federal policy would be presented to the federal government for payment instead of private insurance companies.

Clever...
That would be a good idea because it would mean the demise of both Medicare and the Affordable care act by overloading an already unstable and bankrupt system. Very similar to what is happening with Social Security.

phixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///t/397098/sure-you-can-have-health-insurance-not-sure-how-you-will-pay-for-it#post_3538452
Percentage works. My reference was to actual size of the debt. Certainly there are countries worse off then us.
The ACA obsiously didn't solve much. We'll be getting another house back soon since one of our buyers health insurer will no longer cover the cost of her thyroid cancer.
Had another one tell us about how her insulin medicine that was costing her $60 a month now cost her $300 out of pocket.
Holy crap, $300 out of pocket for insulin? Thats a lot of money for insulin.

Id rather be dead than broke and have to pay for medicine just to stay alive. Thats basically paying for life without living it. Those scenarios are natures way of telling one it's time to off the ride. I always wonder why people go to such extremes bankrupting themselves just to prolong the misery, maybe they just fear death.

beaslbob

Quote:Originally Posted by Bang Guy http:///t/397098/sure-you-can-have-health-insurance-not-sure-how-you-will-pay-for-it#post_3538450

Not that I'm a fan of bigger government but a single payer system would make the US federal government the standard medical insurance carrier.  Medical insurance would become a mandatory payroll deduction and medical claims against the federal policy would be presented to the federal government for payment instead of private insurance companies.

and I am against all of that being set be an all powerful federal government.
For people unlike Bang that have not seen my posts on other forums, this does not mean I am opposed to quality health care.
What it does mean is the private individuals can provide health care to all people of all incomes without the all powerful federal government dictating what health insurance is, what must be done, and redistributing wealth by taking success from some and giving it to others.
If a single payer is adapted or even obamacae fully implemented your entire life just became controlled and dictated by the federal government. And if you don't like some aspect of that there is no way you can successfully sue the federal government.
Bottom line of these federal schemes is to lower costs to some. Usually at the expense of others. And any student of economics 101 knows what happens when prices are held below market values.
For those of you who do not remember the 1973 gas crisis, gas stations in arizona were closed after a few hours. Because they had used up their allocation. Once the Air force base gas station opened up and there was a line 4 cars wide for 3-5 miles waiting to get gas. All those shortages were caused by the federal government holding prices below market values.
The same exact thing will happen when millions and millions of people are given health care at no prices. Plus doctors will leave and change practices and less people will want to become doctors due to the lower salaries.
my .02

2quills

Holy crap,   $300 out of pocket for insulin?   Thats a lot of money for insulin.
Id rather be dead    than broke and have to pay for medicine just to stay alive.  Thats basically paying for life without living it.   Those scenarios are natures way of telling one it's time to off the ride.    I always wonder why people go to such extremes bankrupting themselves just to prolong the misery,  maybe they just fear death. 
Well many people out there lost options so it's a raw deal all around which more and more people ultimately are coming to the realization of.
I know right? It's like all of those idiots out there spending money on stupid little things like food to survive. Just die already!:drinkingco:

phixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaslbob http:///t/397098/sure-you-can-have-health-insurance-not-sure-how-you-will-pay-for-it#post_3538464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang Guy
http:///t/397098/sure-you-can-have-health-insurance-not-sure-how-you-will-pay-for-it#post_3538450

and I am against all of that being set be an all powerful federal government.
For people unlike Bang that have not seen my posts on other forums, this does not mean I am opposed to quality health care.
What it does mean is the private individuals can provide health care to all people of all incomes without the all powerful federal government dictating what health insurance is, what must be done, and redistributing wealth by taking success from some and giving it to others.
If a single payer is adapted or even obamacae fully implemented your entire life just became controlled and dictated by the federal government. And if you don't like some aspect of that there is no way you can successfully sue the federal government.
Bottom line of these federal schemes is to lower costs to some. Usually at the expense of others. And any student of economics 101 knows what happens when prices are held below market values.
For those of you who do not remember the 1973 gas crisis, gas stations in arizona were closed after a few hours. Because they had used up their allocation. Once the Air force base gas station opened up and there was a line 4 cars wide for 3-5 miles waiting to get gas. All those shortages were caused by the federal government holding prices below market values.
The same exact thing will happen when millions and millions of people are given health care at no prices. Plus doctors will leave and change practices and less people will want to become doctors due to the lower salaries.
my .02
This sounds profoundly accurate. It's a little know fact but 2013 has been a record year for Americans who have left the country and renounced their citizenship never to return. I was blown away when I found out who some of them were besides Tina Turner, Elizabeth Taylor and the co-founder of Facebook. Thousands of others, normal people who were once very patriotic and not deadbeats running from the law. When asked most said it didnt make sense to pay for a system that does not support their beliefs and no longer follows the constitution, this in addition to being taxed on income earned abroad. So business leaves because of govt regulation and then the tax payers begin to leave because of govt regulation.

I wish guys like John Wayne ran congress instead.

phixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///t/397098/sure-you-can-have-health-insurance-not-sure-how-you-will-pay-for-it#post_3538485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phixer
http:///t/397098/sure-you-can-have-health-insurance-not-sure-how-you-will-pay-for-it#post_3538462
Holy crap, $300 out of pocket for insulin? Thats a lot of money for insulin.
Id rather be dead than broke and have to pay for medicine just to stay alive. Thats basically paying for life without living it. Those scenarios are natures way of telling one it's time to off the ride. I always wonder why people go to such extremes bankrupting themselves just to prolong the misery, maybe they just fear death.
Well many people out there lost options so it's a raw deal all around which more and more people ultimately are coming to the realization of.
I know right? It's like all of those idiots out there spending money on stupid little things like food to survive. Just die already!

sorry man, but thats funny as hell. If we eat the rich we will save considerably on food. Remember fight club where he was making soap out of the liposuction fat.

aggiealum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtang AW http:///t/397098/sure-you-can-have-health-insurance-not-sure-how-you-will-pay-for-it#post_3538447
Your link is false. It is a comparison of debt as a measurement to GDP. No other country in the world matches our total debt.
http://www.economist.com/content/global_debt_clock
The other thing you fail to mention is greece is actually cutting their debt by roughly 14%. Japan cuts theirs as well. I will address the AFA questions later.
How is that a false comparison? You can't just simply look at total debt to determine the economic stability of a country.

darthtang aw

How is that a false comparison?  You can't just simply look at total debt to determine the economic stability of a country.
His statement was "Nobody has a national debt as high as us.". So using the GDP determined scale does not apply. The world total debt is over 50 trillion, and we own over 13 trillion of it.