Sure you can have health insurance (not sure how you will pay for it).

2quills

Thanks, I feel so validated now. :)
Phixer asked if any of those countries that had socialized health care had a national debt as high as ours. I simply replied no they do not. It was not meant to become a discussion about economics.
Just Aggie, looking to prove me wrong about something to satisfy his own agenda of taking over the world again.

darthtang aw

I'm still waiting for the reasonable alternatives to ACA.  Republicans kept touting this "lowering insurance costs by allowing insurance companies to provide coverage across state lines", but I don't see how that would reduce healthcare costs, nor would it resolve the issue of over 46 million Americans who couldn't afford healthcare because of the outrageous premium costs.  The healthcare providers and medical industry has such powerful PAC's and lobbyist, there was no way Congress would ever push back and force those industries to reduce costs and quit gouging people with ridiculous charges like $25 for a Band-Aid, or $10 for an aspirin.  Then there's the pharmaceutical companies that make billions off of drugs that cost them pennies to make.  You have individuals with heart conditions that have to drop hundreds of dollars each month for medications, and that AFTER they buy them at a discount rate.  If ACA wasn't implemented, then it would've remained status quo with insurance premiums climbing at an average of 5% each year, with fewer benefits, higher deductibles, and larger OOP maximums.  And your "welfare state" analogy would still exist, with it getting larger every day as more and more Americans just say to heck with it and get their health issues taken care of in local County hospitals on the TAXPAYERS dime.  It's the inevitable "screw me now, or screw me later".
There are currently just under 40 Health insurance companies operating in the U.S. Here in New Mexico I can choose from about 5 companies. This greatly reduces competition. That leaves about 35 companies I can't even look at. 35 companies that can't compete for my business. If I were to compare this to car insurance...my choices are astronomical. A simple google search for new mexico gave me 50 different options/companies I can deal with.
As for the 25 dollar bandaid and the 10 dollar aspirin, you can refuse them.
You speak of status quo where insurance rates went up 5% each year. Now they only go up 4% since the inception of the law. Add to the fact that as a man I have to pay for maternity care in my coverage which increases the cost of my plan for something I will NEVER use. So the insurance companies can now charge me for something I don't want or need. So now the premiums only increase by 4% but i am paying more for something I dont want or even need. the deductibles are a lot higher than what I had previously, so that didn't change anything. I do not qualify for a subsidy, so that doesn't save me anything....
lets break it down this way. A 21 year old individual that can't remain on their parents plan, will see a cost increase of 81% due to the requirements required he have for health insurance. A 40 year old man will see a cost increase of 29% and a 60 year old sees an increase of 64%. Now factor in subsidies and the people are still paying just as much as if people weren't insured. So far that 5% increase is looking a lot better. Also keep in mind, the CBO states that over 30 million will still be uninsured no matter what. Before ACA there were 47 million uninsured. That is a total drop of 37%. Primarily from older people that will need the insurance. This does not help balance the costs and we will see insurance plans increase dramatically once the IC notice how few young people are signing up to offset their costs.
Something else to keep in mind. Earlier this week Leerink analyst Ana Gupte wrote that thanks to the fixes so far, he sees a ‘bear case,’ of 3 million people being enrolled, being met, with the possibility that his base case – 5 million people enrolled– might actually happen. But the chances of the Congressional Budge Office’s original projection being hit are “unlikely at this point,” Gupte writes.
The aca websites cites the cost at 1.36 trillion dollars by 2023. I doubt it will be that low since we already increased the cost of the website however this means if we do get 17 million people to sign up we spent 80,000 dollars per individual to get them to sign up. Meanwhile increasing everyone's insurance costs. and subsidizing much of them as well.

2quills

:laughing:   sorry man,   but thats funny as hell.  If we eat the rich we will save considerably on food.      Remember fight club where he was making soap out of the liposuction fat.
Not really. Unfortunately only about 1% of the population is truely rich. They would only feed the other 99% (minus the vegans) for a brunch or two tops.
First rule in Fight Club: We don't talk about fight club.

phixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///t/397098/sure-you-can-have-health-insurance-not-sure-how-you-will-pay-for-it/20#post_3538520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phixer
http:///t/397098/sure-you-can-have-health-insurance-not-sure-how-you-will-pay-for-it#post_3538488
sorry man, but thats funny as hell. If we eat the rich we will save considerably on food. Remember fight club where he was making soap out of the liposuction fat.
Not really. Unfortunately only about 1% of the population is truely rich. They would only feed the other 99% (minus the vegans) for a brunch or two tops.
First rule in Fight Club: We don't talk about fight club.
Thats a lot of wealth rolled up into that 1% i.e (the Bilderberg group). And 90% of those in congress fall into that category.

Back to the original statement though, why dont folks just kick the bucket and get out of the way if so dependent upon medicine to survive? Thats what I dont understand. Nature is giving you a pretty good hint of what you need to do if you cant even wipe your own ss. Why fear death? and why burden society, congest traffic, consume resources and pollute the environment by making everyone else pay for your miserable existence, hurry up and die already so the rest of the population can live. Pretty cold hearted I know but the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few and it would really make things better for everyone else, especially in traffic.

Without hypocrisy, I asked my family the same question and they all said the same thing that they would rather croak than have to rely on medicine to survive. Folks can choose what they want of course, I just dont understand why one would choose that kind of existence. The natural order of life can be brutal but it always seems to be the right choice.

2quills

Thats a lot of wealth rolled up into that 1%  i.e (the Bilderberg group).       And 90% of those in congress fall into that category.   
Back to the original statement though,   why dont folks just kick the bucket and get out of the way if so dependent upon medicine to survive?   Thats what I dont understand.   Nature is giving you a pretty good hint of what you need to do if you cant even wipe your own ss.    Why fear death?  and why burden society, congest traffic, consume resources and pollute the environment  by making everyone else pay for your miserable existence,  hurry up and die already so the rest of the population can live.     Pretty cold hearted I know but the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few and it would really make things better for everyone else,  especially in traffic.   
Without hypocrisy,  I asked my family the same question and they all said the same thing that they would rather croak than have to rely on medicine to survive.   Folks can choose what they want of course,  I just dont understand why one would choose that kind of existence.    The natural order of life can be brutal but it always seems to be the right choice.
You're welcome to try running for congress or the presidency, yourself. But something tells me that if you keep using words like that then you're not going to get very far. lol
Yes the rich elite run the world. That's how it goes. It's the natural order of things. In the animal kingdom the strongest and smartest are always at the top of the food chain. If the other 99% were smart enough to figure out how to hord all the money for themselves then I'm sure they would have done it by now.
If your kid came down with cancer you would just let them die? I don't think so. If you could get them access to treatment then you wouldn't let that opportunity pass.
Once one loses their mental faculties and becomes dependant on others for the simple things along with meds and doctors then you've had your time IMO. If you can afford to keep going or have family willing to care for you then more power to you and your bloodline. But not from my tax money.

2quills

To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering.
Friedrich Nietzsche
My wife's parents have been married for 50+ years. Her dad tells me he knows long suffering . :laughing:
"God is Dead". Nietzsche
"Nietzsche is Dead". God

phixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///t/397098/sure-you-can-have-health-insurance-not-sure-how-you-will-pay-for-it/20#post_3538555
Quote:
http:///t/397098/sure-you-can-have-health-insurance-not-sure-how-you-will-pay-for-it/20#post_3538543
Thats a lot of wealth rolled up into that 1% i.e (the Bilderberg group). And 90% of those in congress fall into that category.
Back to the original statement though, why dont folks just kick the bucket and get out of the way if so dependent upon medicine to survive? Thats what I dont understand. Nature is giving you a pretty good hint of what you need to do if you cant even wipe your own ss. Why fear death? and why burden society, congest traffic, consume resources and pollute the environment by making everyone else pay for your miserable existence, hurry up and die already so the rest of the population can live. Pretty cold hearted I know but the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few and it would really make things better for everyone else, especially in traffic.
Without hypocrisy, I asked my family the same question and they all said the same thing that they would rather croak than have to rely on medicine to survive. Folks can choose what they want of course, I just dont understand why one would choose that kind of existence. The natural order of life can be brutal but it always seems to be the right choice.
You're welcome to try running for congress or the presidency, yourself. But something tells me that if you keep using words like that then you're not going to get very far. lol
Yes the rich elite run the world. That's how it goes. It's the natural order of things. In the animal kingdom the strongest and smartest are always at the top of the food chain. If the other 99% were smart enough to figure out how to hord all the money for themselves then I'm sure they would have done it by now.
If your kid came down with cancer you would just let them die? I don't think so. If you could get them access to treatment then you wouldn't let that opportunity pass.
Once one loses their mental faculties and becomes dependant on others for the simple things along with meds and doctors then you've had your time IMO. If you can afford to keep going or have family willing to care for you then more power to you and your bloodline. But not from my tax money.
There's a big difference between politics and leadership. I dont think the govt is the solution to anything outside of infrastructure and defense (and they mess that up). And anyone who goes into politics without a new approach is doomed to the gridlock paradigm of what currently exists. A great life for one who wishes never to accomplish anything.

My kid as a child of course Id help them live because they would be too young to help themselves. My kid as an adult or my parents... life and freewill is their responsibility. My roll would be to teach them how to accept death rather than cling to a life of dependency. I would not provide medical care for any adult with a non curable illness family or not, they need to move on.

Kind of like asking your buddy for a bunch of money he dosent have, he is still your buddy even though he cant loan you the money. And I will not loan them anything that goes against the natural order of life. Im fortunate because no one in my family fears the reaper
LOL...within my lifetime all relatives have chosen to return to the spirit world in a timely manner rather than depend upon others. Spirits living in a material world...

It's hard to argue with you Quills because I normally agree with you.

2quills

:laughing:   There's a big difference between politics and leadership.    I dont think the govt is the solution to anything outside of infrastructure and defense (and they mess that up).    And anyone who goes into politics without a new approach is doomed to the gridlock paradigm of what currently exists.   A great life for one who wishes never to accomplish anything. 
My kid as a child of course Id help them live because they would be too young to help themselves.    My kid as an adult or my parents... life and freewill is their responsibility.  My roll would be to teach them how to accept death rather than cling to a life of dependency.  I would not provide medical care for any adult with a non curable illness family or not, they need to move on.  
Kind of like asking your buddy for a bunch of money he dosent have,  he is still your buddy even though he cant loan you the money.  And I will not loan them anything that goes against the natural order of life.     Im fortunate because no one in my family fears the reaper:laughing: LOL...within my lifetime all relatives have chosen to return to the spirit world in a timely manner rather than depend upon others.   Spirits living in a material world...
As a spirit I'd be appreciative of as much time as I could get while residing in the physical realm. As a creature of opportunity I'd take it how ever I could get it. Government is simply a conduit for the people. If I were to look for leadership anywhere I would seek it there.
When it comes to those we love money can seem pretty meaningless sometimes. Only thing that matters is freedom of choice to do what you want to do.

phixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///t/397098/sure-you-can-have-health-insurance-not-sure-how-you-will-pay-for-it/20#post_3538561
Quote:
http:///t/397098/sure-you-can-have-health-insurance-not-sure-how-you-will-pay-for-it/20#post_3538559
There's a big difference between politics and leadership. I dont think the govt is the solution to anything outside of infrastructure and defense (and they mess that up). And anyone who goes into politics without a new approach is doomed to the gridlock paradigm of what currently exists. A great life for one who wishes never to accomplish anything.
My kid as a child of course Id help them live because they would be too young to help themselves. My kid as an adult or my parents... life and freewill is their responsibility. My roll would be to teach them how to accept death rather than cling to a life of dependency. I would not provide medical care for any adult with a non curable illness family or not, they need to move on.
Kind of like asking your buddy for a bunch of money he dosent have, he is still your buddy even though he cant loan you the money. And I will not loan them anything that goes against the natural order of life. Im fortunate because no one in my family fears the reaper:laughing: LOL...within my lifetime all relatives have chosen to return to the spirit world in a timely manner rather than depend upon others. Spirits living in a material world...
As a spirit I'd be appreciative of as much time as I could get while residing in the physical realm. As a creature of opportunity I'd take it how ever I could get it. Government is simply a conduit for the people. If I were to look for leadership anywhere I would seek it there.
When it comes to those we love money can seem pretty meaningless sometimes. Only thing that matters is freedom of choice to do what you want to do.
Can respect that, personally I find it limiting. North Korea, Burma, Ethopia, Iraq, Iran etc... Im not so sure those govts are conduits for the people Quills.

Barney Frank (AKA Liberace), Chuck Rangel, Al Franken (AKA Stuart Smalley)
Dirty Harry Reed, Boner, Mitch Mconnel , the late Ted Kennedy, Kerry, Clinton, Finestien, Peosi, Boxer or any other including the biggest one of them all? Id be reluctant to follow any of these clowns into a swimming pool if I were on fire. Politicians do what is popular , leaders lead people irregardless of what is popular ... they instinctively know how to do what is right without needing the endorsement of the other lemmings.

Another version of Hollywood with clowns and actors seeking power free of responsibility. There are more leaders within a flock of blind sheep and it's doubtful any of them know how to butter toast much less inspire people or improve lives since this hasnt happend since Reagan. They are expert liars, cheats, deceivers and... wait a minute most of them are attorneys?

Before I left the military there was a real change in leadership that resulted in the elimination of leaders and installation of puppets. Leaders had the courage to (tactfully) stand up to those above them when the brass was wrong (which was quite often) and maintain loyalty to those below them. Today the military trains about sensitivity and feelings and public image instead of how to improve the lives of its people and win wars. Here's the worst part, most of the brass today could care less about the people, they only have to appear to care. They burn them out and then toss them into the dysfunctional system of the VA to wither away.

People like Patton or McAurthur are unheard of today. They were able to distinguish what was right from what was popular and chose to do what was right even if it meant circumventing unlawful orders. Few know how make this distinction any more so they just go with the flow. There are a couple leaders left but once they learn the truth they normally leave the military due to the bureaucracy. IMHO.

aggiealum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtang AW http:///t/397098/sure-you-can-have-health-insurance-not-sure-how-you-will-pay-for-it/20#post_3538519
There are currently just under 40 Health insurance companies operating in the U.S. Here in New Mexico I can choose from about 5 companies. This greatly reduces competition. That leaves about 35 companies I can't even look at. 35 companies that can't compete for my business. If I were to compare this to car insurance...my choices are astronomical. A simple google search for new mexico gave me 50 different options/companies I can deal with.
As for the 25 dollar bandaid and the 10 dollar aspirin, you can refuse them.
You speak of status quo where insurance rates went up 5% each year. Now they only go up 4% since the inception of the law. Add to the fact that as a man I have to pay for maternity care in my coverage which increases the cost of my plan for something I will NEVER use. So the insurance companies can now charge me for something I don't want or need. So now the premiums only increase by 4% but i am paying more for something I dont want or even need. the deductibles are a lot higher than what I had previously, so that didn't change anything. I do not qualify for a subsidy, so that doesn't save me anything....
lets break it down this way. A 21 year old individual that can't remain on their parents plan, will see a cost increase of 81% due to the requirements required he have for health insurance. A 40 year old man will see a cost increase of 29% and a 60 year old sees an increase of 64%. Now factor in subsidies and the people are still paying just as much as if people weren't insured. So far that 5% increase is looking a lot better. Also keep in mind, the CBO states that over 30 million will still be uninsured no matter what. Before ACA there were 47 million uninsured. That is a total drop of 37%. Primarily from older people that will need the insurance. This does not help balance the costs and we will see insurance plans increase dramatically once the IC notice how few young people are signing up to offset their costs.
Something else to keep in mind. Earlier this week Leerink analyst Ana Gupte wrote that thanks to the fixes so far, he sees a ‘bear case,’ of 3 million people being enrolled, being met, with the possibility that his base case – 5 million people enrolled– might actually happen. But the chances of the Congressional Budge Office’s original projection being hit are “unlikely at this point,” Gupte writes.
The aca websites cites the cost at 1.36 trillion dollars by 2023. I doubt it will be that low since we already increased the cost of the website however this means if we do get 17 million people to sign up we spent 80,000 dollars per individual to get them to sign up. Meanwhile increasing everyone's insurance costs. and subsidizing much of them as well.
There's a fallacy in your logic about purchasing health insurance across state lines. That only pertains to individuals who purchase health insurance direct from providers, as opposed to the majority of Americans who obtain the health insurance from their employers. My wife's corporate headquarters are based out of Michigan, and her healthcare is provided by BCBS of Michigan, even though we live in Texas. One of the main parts of ACA is allowing anyone to purchase healthcare from insurance pools from any state that is participating in Obamacare. Once you acquire a policy in that program, you can stay in it regardless of which state you live in.

One of the main benefits of Obamacare is any child who lives at home and more than half of their living expenses are covered by their parents, or if they7 are a full-time student, can stay on their parents healthcare coverage until they are 26 years old. Prior to Obamacare, your little scenario would be the norm. Not sure where you're getting this "81% increase" from. I guess if a 21 year old had no insurance whatsoever, and they couldn't be covered on their parents insurance due to not meeting the requirements I stated, would see that increase. But I suppose you think it's OK that anyone under the age of 30 thinks they're impervious to injuries or contracting some fatal disease, so they shouldn't be forced to purchase even catastrophic-level insurance to cover themselves in case they are wrong. Instead, just walk into the County hospital and let their local taxpayers foot their medical bills.

The CBO report was misleading and Fox's interpre3tation of that purported "30 million will still be uninsured" is incorrect, as shown in that link I provided. All your other numbers? Where exactly are you acquiring this data? From the same news outlets that been attacking ACA since its inception?

As far as projected individuals signing up for the program, over 2.1 million have signed up in the first three months since it became available. As it stands, enrollment are averaging between 150,000 to 300,000 per month, depending on what state you live in. States that are participating with ACA have more alternatives and a wider range of providers over those that refuse to participate, like the state I live in.

Not sure where you see only 17 million people signing up over the next 9 years. Prior to ACA being implemented, reports showed over 45 million Americans had no healthcare coverage whatsoever, which didn't include those between the age of 21 - 30 who weren't in the statistics because individuals that age rarely purchase healthcare insurance to begin with. If Obamacare survives after the 2016 Presidential elections, and they tweak and fix some of the major issues with the program (which a endeavor like this should face changes since it's virtually impossible to catch every issue and problem when implementing a plan of this magnitude), then I think you'll see the overall costs reduced to the point that it will pay for itself over the long run.

darthtang aw

When I get home I will show my links. They are on that computer. Most of my numbers are from the CBO. Some are from the ACA website.
You aren't understanding the State lines argument fully. I will explain this further as well at that time.

darthtang aw

Stupid computer. Typed this up twice now. So you will get the short version.
The percentages of small businesses and self employed in this country account for 59% of the work force. (2011 census)
These people are who the state lines argument would assist in cost reduction. Since insurance pool would now be national and competition would assist them in cost reduction. since they are only able to gain insurance through companies currenttly operating in their state. I know first hand as a small business employer something of this. I used to work part-time at home depot and instead of enrolling through my personal business heath insurance that was brought in for my employees, I opted for the Home depot insurance for my family due to cost and deductibles. My choices for my business were five Heath Insurance companies. Not exactly a market for competition for pricing. Think of it as your electric company....you don't have much choice. Rates go up and you have no recourse because there is limited competition.
One of the main benefits of Obamacare is any child who lives at home and more than half of their living expenses are covered by their parents, or if they7 are a full-time student, can stay on their parents healthcare coverage until they are 26 years old. Prior to Obamacare, your little scenario would be the norm. Not sure where you're getting this "81% increase" from. I guess if a 21 year old had no insurance whatsoever, and they couldn't be covered on their parents insurance due to not meeting the requirements I stated, would see that increase. But I suppose you think it's OK that anyone under the age of 30 thinks they're impervious to injuries or contracting some fatal disease, so they shouldn't be forced to purchase even catastrophic-level insurance to cover themselves in case they are wrong. Instead, just walk into the County hospital and let their local taxpayers foot their medical bills.
the under thirty crowd isn't signing up. They are choosing to pay the penalty. Which in turn means the costs wont even out for the insurance companies. There is a reason the ACA contains a Health Insurance bail out clause.. The people that are keeping their college kids on their insurance (if they had private insurance) say an increase of their chids portion of insurance increase 81%. Either way the younger generation had a premium cost increase of 81%...whether the kid is paying it or not...
http://www.forbes.com/sites/matthewherper/2013/12/05/obamacare-raises-health-insurance-costs-especially-for-the-young/
[QUOTE}As far as projected individuals signing up for the program, over 2.1 million have signed up in the first three months since it became available. As it stands, enrollment are averaging between 150,000 to 300,000 per month, depending on what state you live in. States that are participating with ACA have more alternatives and a wider range of providers over those that refuse to participate, like the state I live in.
Not sure where you see only 17 million people signing up over the next 9 years. Prior to ACA being implemented, reports showed over 45 million Americans had no healthcare coverage whatsoever, which didn't include those between the age of 21 - 30 who weren't in the statistics because individuals that age rarely purchase healthcare insurance to begin with. If Obamacare survives after the 2016 Presidential elections, and they tweak and fix some of the major issues with the program (which a endeavor like this should face changes since it's virtually impossible to catch every issue and problem when implementing a plan of this magnitude), then I think you'll see the overall costs reduced to the point that it will pay for itself over the long run.]
The CBO numbers include medicare/medicaid/ and uninsured. The greater majority of medicaid/medicare recipients figured into their numbers would have enrolled in medicare/medicaid upon age eligibility anyway. Thus the true number of people gaining insurance through ACA will amount to roughly 17 million people gaining insurance in the next ten years. Leaving well over 30million to remain uninsured. You can look at these statistics at the CBO website. if one were to go with the higher number of the original cbo report, the number of uninsured gaining insurance would be only 25 million in the next ten years, leaving a little over 25 million uninsured. The CBO has amended their number of uninsured to around 50 million roughly...this includes the younger crowd now as well.
Earlier you stated the CBO is misleading concerning the jobs portion aspect. You would be correct in that comment. The CBO states :
Q: Will 2.5 Million People Lose Their Jobs in 2024 Because of the ACA?
A: No, we would not describe our estimates in that way.
We wrote in the report: “CBO estimates that the ACA will reduce the total number of hours worked, on net, by about 1.5 percent to 2.0 percent during the period from 2017 to 2024, almost entirely because workers will choose to supply less labor.” The reason for the reduction in the supply of labor is that the provisions of the ACA reduce the incentive to work for certain subsets of the population.
For example, under the ACA, health insurance subsidies are provided to some people with low income and are phased out as their income rises; as a result, a portion of the added income from working more would be offset by a loss of some or all of the subsidies, which represents an implicit tax on earnings. Also, the ACA’s subsidies effectively boost the income of recipients, which will lead some of them to decide they can work less and still maintain or improve their standard of living. Therefore, some people will decide not to work or to work fewer hours than would otherwise be the case—including some people who will choose to retire earlier than they would have otherwise, and some people who will work less themselves and rely more on a spouse’s earnings. (Many other factors influence decisions about working, including, for example, income and payroll taxes and the cost of commuting and child care. Moreover, under current economic conditions, a substantial number of people who would like to work cannot find a job.)
Because the longer-term reduction in work is expected to come almost entirely from a decline in the amount of labor that workers choose to supply in response to the changes in their incentives, we do not think it is accurate to say that the reduction stems from people “losing” their jobs.
Here’s a useful way to think about the choice of wording: When firms do not have enough business and decide to lay people off, the people who are laid off are generally worse off and are therefore unhappy about what is happening. As a result, other people express their sympathy to those people for having “lost their jobs” due to forces beyond their control. In contrast, when the labor market is strong and people decide on their own to retire, to leave work to take care of their families, or to cut back on their hours to pursue other interests, those people presumably think they are better off (or they would not be making the voluntary choices they are making). As a result, other people are generally happy for them and do not describe them as having “lost their jobs.”
Thus, there is a critical difference between, on the one hand, people who leave a job for reasons beyond their control and, on the other hand, people who choose not to work or to work less. The wording that people use to describe those differing circumstances reflects the different reactions of the people involved. In our report, we indicated that “the estimated reduction [in employment] stems almost entirely from a net decline in the amount of labor that workers choose to supply,” so we think the language of “losing a job” does not fit.
Ultimately, we project that the number of jobs in the economy will be smaller than it would be in the absence of the ACA because some people will choose not to work at all, but CBO did not estimate the size of that change separately from the effect of people choosing to work fewer hours. We wrote in the report: “The reduction in CBO’s projections of hours worked represents a decline in the number of full-time-equivalent workers of about 2.0 million in 2017, rising to about 2.5 million in 2024 … The decline in full-time-equivalent employment stemming from the ACA will consist of some people not being employed at all and other people working fewer hours; however, CBO has not tried to quantify those two components of the overall effect.” To be clear, total employment and hours worked will increase over the coming decade, but by less than they would have in the absence of the ACA. In the next few years, as we wrote in the report, the ACA “also will affect employers’ demand for workers, … both by increasing labor costs through the employer penalty (which will reduce labor demand) and by boosting overall demand for goods and services (which will increase labor demand).”
There is a broader question as to whether the society and the economy will be better off as a result of those choices being made available. Even though the individuals making decisions to work less presumably feel that they will be happier as a result of those decisions, total employment, investment, output, and tax revenue will be smaller. (Those effects are included in CBO’s budget and economic projections under current law.) To be sure, the health insurance system in place prior to the ACA generated its own distortions to people’s work decisions, but many of the decisions to work less under the ACA will be made possible by government-funded subsidies, the burden of which will be borne largely by other people. Moreover, people’s decisions about work are also affected by taxes and benefit programs apart from those related to health insurance. Hence, whether voluntary reductions in hours worked owing to the ACA are good or bad for the country as a whole is a matter of judgment.

A tradeoff of this sort—although not necessarily of the same magnitude—is intrinsic in any effort to significantly increase health insurance coverage or to provide other types of benefits that are aimed at low-income people. As we wrote in the report: “Subsidies that help lower-income people purchase an expensive product like health insurance must be relatively large to encourage a significant proportion of eligible people to enroll. If those subsidies are phased out with rising income …, the phaseout effectively … discourage[es] work.” Again, the best way to address that tradeoff is a matter of judgment.

darthtang aw

I also forgot. Yesterday the President once again delayed the employer mandate another year. This is twice now. I do not believe he can legally do this, however it has not been challenged by anyone since that would be political suicide. But this is another key aspect of the law and way to pay for it. Yet it isn't being implemented.
Either ammend the law or follow through. I think this is what is most aggravating. Big business gets a pass with the adminstration and the little people are being ignored. This president has done more to continue making big business richer than any other president in recent history. and piece mealing this law is just further proof of that. And Bush was the big business President? Bush has nothing on this guy.

aggiealum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtang AW http:///t/397098/sure-you-can-have-health-insurance-not-sure-how-you-will-pay-for-it/20#post_3538830
Stupid computer. Typed this up twice now. So you will get the short version.
The percentages of small businesses and self employed in this country account for 59% of the work force. (2011 census)
These people are who the state lines argument would assist in cost reduction. Since insurance pool would now be national and competition would assist them in cost reduction. since they are only able to gain insurance through companies currenttly operating in their state. I know first hand as a small business employer something of this. I used to work part-time at home depot and instead of enrolling through my personal business heath insurance that was brought in for my employees, I opted for the Home depot insurance for my family due to cost and deductibles. My choices for my business were five Heath Insurance companies. Not exactly a market for competition for pricing. Think of it as your electric company....you don't have much choice. Rates go up and you have no recourse because there is limited competition.
the under thirty crowd isn't signing up. They are choosing to pay the penalty. Which in turn means the costs wont even out for the insurance companies. There is a reason the ACA contains a Health Insurance bail out clause.. The people that are keeping their college kids on their insurance (if they had private insurance) say an increase of their chids portion of insurance increase 81%. Either way the younger generation had a premium cost increase of 81%...whether the kid is paying it or not...
http://www.forbes.com/sites/matthewherper/2013/12/05/obamacare-raises-health-insurance-costs-especially-for-the-young/
The CBO numbers include medicare/medicaid/ and uninsured. The greater majority of medicaid/medicare recipients figured into their numbers would have enrolled in medicare/medicaid upon age eligibility anyway. Thus the true number of people gaining insurance through ACA will amount to roughly 17 million people gaining insurance in the next ten years. Leaving well over 30million to remain uninsured. You can look at these statistics at the CBO website. if one were to go with the higher number of the original cbo report, the number of uninsured gaining insurance would be only 25 million in the next ten years, leaving a little over 25 million uninsured. The CBO has amended their number of uninsured to around 50 million roughly...this includes the younger crowd now as well.
Earlier you stated the CBO is misleading concerning the jobs portion aspect. You would be correct in that comment. The CBO states :
We wrote in the report: “CBO estimates that the ACA will reduce the total number of hours worked, on net, by about 1.5 percent to 2.0 percent during the period from 2017 to 2024, almost entirely because workers will choose to supply less labor.” The reason for the reduction in the supply of labor is that the provisions of the ACA reduce the incentive to work for certain subsets of the population.
For example, under the ACA, health insurance subsidies are provided to some people with low income and are phased out as their income rises; as a result, a portion of the added income from working more would be offset by a loss of some or all of the subsidies, which represents an implicit tax on earnings. Also, the ACA’s subsidies effectively boost the income of recipients, which will lead some of them to decide they can work less and still maintain or improve their standard of living. Therefore, some people will decide not to work or to work fewer hours than would otherwise be the case—including some people who will choose to retire earlier than they would have otherwise, and some people who will work less themselves and rely more on a spouse’s earnings. (Many other factors influence decisions about working, including, for example, income and payroll taxes and the cost of commuting and child care. Moreover, under current economic conditions, a substantial number of people who would like to work cannot find a job.)
Because the longer-term reduction in work is expected to come almost entirely from a decline in the amount of labor that workers choose to supply in response to the changes in their incentives, we do not think it is accurate to say that the reduction stems from people “losing” their jobs.
Here’s a useful way to think about the choice of wording: When firms do not have enough business and decide to lay people off, the people who are laid off are generally worse off and are therefore unhappy about what is happening. As a result, other people express their sympathy to those people for having “lost their jobs” due to forces beyond their control. In contrast, when the labor market is strong and people decide on their own to retire, to leave work to take care of their families, or to cut back on their hours to pursue other interests, those people presumably think they are better off (or they would not be making the voluntary choices they are making). As a result, other people are generally happy for them and do not describe them as having “lost their jobs.”
Thus, there is a critical difference between, on the one hand, people who leave a job for reasons beyond their control and, on the other hand, people who choose not to work or to work less. The wording that people use to describe those differing circumstances reflects the different reactions of the people involved. In our report, we indicated that “the estimated reduction [in employment] stems almost entirely from a net decline in the amount of labor that workers choose to supply,” so we think the language of “losing a job” does not fit.
Ultimately, we project that the number of jobs in the economy will be smaller than it would be in the absence of the ACA because some people will choose not to work at all, but CBO did not estimate the size of that change separately from the effect of people choosing to work fewer hours. We wrote in the report: “The reduction in CBO’s projections of hours worked represents a decline in the number of full-time-equivalent workers of about 2.0 million in 2017, rising to about 2.5 million in 2024 … The decline in full-time-equivalent employment stemming from the ACA will consist of some people not being employed at all and other people working fewer hours; however, CBO has not tried to quantify those two components of the overall effect.” To be clear, total employment and hours worked will increase over the coming decade, but by less than they would have in the absence of the ACA. In the next few years, as we wrote in the report, the ACA “also will affect employers’ demand for workers, … both by increasing labor costs through the employer penalty (which will reduce labor demand) and by boosting overall demand for goods and services (which will increase labor demand).”
There is a broader question as to whether the society and the economy will be better off as a result of those choices being made available. Even though the individuals making decisions to work less presumably feel that they will be happier as a result of those decisions, total employment, investment, output, and tax revenue will be smaller. (Those effects are included in CBO’s budget and economic projections under current law.) To be sure, the health insurance system in place prior to the ACA generated its own distortions to people’s work decisions, but many of the decisions to work less under the ACA will be made possible by government-funded subsidies, the burden of which will be borne largely by other people. Moreover, people’s decisions about work are also affected by taxes and benefit programs apart from those related to health insurance. Hence, whether voluntary reductions in hours worked owing to the ACA are good or bad for the country as a whole is a matter of judgment.
A tradeoff of this sort—although not necessarily of the same magnitude—is intrinsic in any effort to significantly increase health insurance coverage or to provide other types of benefits that are aimed at low-income people. As we wrote in the report: “Subsidies that help lower-income people purchase an expensive product like health insurance must be relatively large to encourage a significant proportion of eligible people to enroll. If those subsidies are phased out with rising income …, the phaseout effectively … discourage[es] work.” Again, the best way to address that tradeoff is a matter of judgment.
Guess you didn't read this part of your Forbes article:

In fact, according to Evans’ numbers, for 21-year-olds in the most expensive 25% of plans, things actually get better. For a 14% increase in premiums (to $275) they get a 19% decrease in deductible (to $1,537) and a 35% decrease in out-of-pocket maximum, the maximum amount of covered health care costs they could spend (to $4,587).
The problem, he argues, is that this isn’t what makes people buy health insurance. For a 21-year-old male buying a plan, the chances of getting anything from it are low. So he’s more likely to risk going without insurance when you both increase the premium and increase the amount he has to spend out of pocket. And that means fewer young, healthy people buying plans through ObamaCare, which in turn could make the business of selling those plans less appealing for insurers.

So the problem with this "expert" analysis is that he's under the same assumption that all these 20-something's and 30-something's have - that they are impervious from having a major illness, getting into some major accident, or simply hurting themselves while doing sports or other activities that have a high risk of injury. So we should give them a pass and accept the fact that if any of the aforementioned incidents occur in their lives, the rest of us have to foot their bills, either by our increased taxes to pay for our local County hospitals and clinics, or our premiums and deductibles go up because the insurance and medical providers aren't going to eat that cost on their own. No, it's time for them to take responsibility of their own lives and protect themselves just like they do when they purchase insurance for their car.

Not sure where they get their data about insurance costs for parents who still have their kids on their plan going up 81%. I have both my daughters who are currently in college on my wife's plan. Our insurance premiums sure haven't gone up 81%.

bang guy

The premium increase for my insurance was insignificant this year. Unfortunately, the deductible went from $500 to $4500. I'm not sure how to calculate the increase. Probably less than 80% but I'm not entirely sure.

Apparently the existing plan was not ACA approved so I was not able to get the same plan as last year.

darthtang aw

Guess you didn't read this part of your Forbes article:
In fact, according to Evans’ numbers, for 21-year-olds in the most expensive 25% of plans, things actually get better. For a 14% increase in premiums (to $275) they get a 19% decrease in deductible (to $1,537) and a 35% decrease in out-of-pocket maximum, the maximum amount of covered health care costs they could spend (to $4,587).
The problem, he argues, is that this isn’t what makes people buy health insurance. For a 21-year-old male buying a plan, the chances of getting anything from it are low. So he’s more likely to risk going without insurance when you both increase the premium and increase the amount he has to spend out of pocket. And that means fewer young, healthy people buying plans through ObamaCare, which in turn could make the business of selling those plans less appealing for insurers.
So the problem with this "expert" analysis is that he's under the same assumption that all these 20-something's and 30-something's have - that they are impervious from having a major illness, getting into some major accident, or simply hurting themselves while doing sports or other activities that have a high risk of injury. So we should give them a pass and accept the fact that if any of the aforementioned incidents occur in their lives, the rest of us have to foot their bills, either by our increased taxes to pay for our local County hospitals and clinics, or our premiums and deductibles go up because the insurance and medical providers aren't going to eat that cost on their own. No, it's time for them to take responsibility of their own lives and protect themselves just like they do when they purchase insurance for their car.
Not sure where they get their data about insurance costs for parents who still have their kids on their plan going up 81%. I have both my daughters who are currently in college on my wife's plan. Our insurance premiums sure haven't gone up 81%.
The forbes comment you quoted is for a 14% MORE increase over the already high increase.
Your assumption of his evaluation is skewed by your perception of what others think. He is just pointing out the issues with the ACA. The young were to foot the bill and pay for this. Businesses that didnt comply were to shoulder the burden as well. Neither are shouldering that burden. The young would rather pay the penalty because it is far cheaper, and the businesses keep getting a pass.
The single biggest problem with the legislation is it is big legislation. Instead of babysteps we took a giant friggin plunge. and now half the water came out of the pool. Anytime legislation has that many pages it is going to be chock full of problems. Then add the fact it was rammed through so fast that noone read the bill........The majority of us aren't seeking repeal. But there need to be major tweaks and changes....Aetna is already thinking of pulling out of the exchanges...if that happens this falls apart rapidly as other will follow suit. At the very least postpone the whole bill.....make changes then roll shit back out...but it is to late for that.....unless you are a corporation/business that is.
Your Insurance may not have raised the cost...depending how you get your insurance and who your provider is. But it would only be the childs portion of insurance to increase....which wouldn't translate into 81% of the entire policy.
Bang, depending on how often you come close to fulfilling that deductible each year, that is still a significant increase.....far more than the average 5% increase each year that was the norm if you do the math.

aggiealum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtang AW http:///t/397098/sure-you-can-have-health-insurance-not-sure-how-you-will-pay-for-it/20#post_3538859
The forbes comment you quoted is for a 14% MORE increase over the already high increase.
Your assumption of his evaluation is skewed by your perception of what others think. He is just pointing out the issues with the ACA. The young were to foot the bill and pay for this. Businesses that didnt comply were to shoulder the burden as well. Neither are shouldering that burden. The young would rather pay the penalty because it is far cheaper, and the businesses keep getting a pass.
The single biggest problem with the legislation is it is big legislation. Instead of babysteps we took a giant friggin plunge. and now half the water came out of the pool. Anytime legislation has that many pages it is going to be chock full of problems. Then add the fact it was rammed through so fast that noone read the bill........The majority of us aren't seeking repeal. But there need to be major tweaks and changes....Aetna is already thinking of pulling out of the exchanges...if that happens this falls apart rapidly as other will follow suit. At the very least postpone the whole bill.....make changes then roll shit back out...but it is to late for that.....unless you are a corporation/business that is.
Your Insurance may not have raised the cost...depending how you get your insurance and who your provider is. But it would only be the childs portion of insurance to increase....which wouldn't translate into 81% of the entire policy.
Bang, depending on how often you come close to fulfilling that deductible each year, that is still a significant increase.....far more than the average 5% increase each year that was the norm if you do the math.
You seem to quit reading after the words "14% increase":

they get a 19% DECREASE in deductible (to $1,537) and a 35% DECREASE in out-of-pocket maximum, the maximum amount of covered health care costs they could spend (to $4,587).

The young shouldn't have an out by paying a penalty, period. Extending the mandate for businesses is the typical political ploy to garner votes in the next election. Republicans do it as often as Democrats.

And if I have to hear "and they didn't even bother to read the bill" one more time, I'm gonna puke Hannity Jr. So did only Democrats decide to not read the bill, or did the Republicans not bother as well? Sounds to me like they didn't do the job we sent them there to do, so why did you vote them back into office?

Where di you learn math? The biggest portion of my wife's bi-weekly payment to her healthcare premium is for her. As dependents, whether it's me or my two daughters, the amount she has to pay for us is the same. I went step-by=step with her on every option she had for the various coverage's, and I saw the exact dollar amount for each person for each benefit. I GUARANTEE you that if she didn't cover both my daughter's we would see an 81% deduction in her payment. Not even close. Are you sure you're not smoking some of that wacky weed when you're typing this stuff?

aggiealum

As to your argument about these "2 million decline in jobs", the CBO didn't quantify the reason WHY these people wouldn't be employed or chose to work fewer hours. It's called "de-coupling". You have millions of American workers that if they had the choice, they WOULD choose not to work or would work fewer hours. The reason they don't or can't is because prior to ACA, they either had to continue working in order to keep that cheap employee-sponsored health insurance, or retire and pay the outrageous premiums of private insurance or simply go without hoping they didn't get sick or hurt before they were eligible for Medicare/Medicaid. Now with ACA making "private" premiums somewhat reasonable, they CAN quit their jobs, work fewer hours, and actually RETIRE when retiring in your late 50's was the norm.

darthtang aw

As to your argument about these "2 million decline in jobs", the CBO didn't quantify the reason WHY these people wouldn't be employed or chose to work fewer hours.  It's called "de-coupling".  You have millions of American workers that if they had the choice, they WOULD choose not to work or would work fewer hours.  The reason they don't or can't is because prior to ACA, they either had to continue working in order to keep that cheap employee-sponsored health insurance, or retire and pay the outrageous premiums of private insurance or simply go without hoping they didn't get sick or hurt before they were eligible for Medicare/Medicaid.  Now with ACA making "private" premiums somewhat reasonable, they CAN quit their jobs, work fewer hours, and actually RETIRE when retiring in your late 50's was the norm.
Yes they did. Do you read? I posted what the CBO stated clarifying their intent by their statement. The clearly stated it would be due to the need to reduce their pay to maintain being subsidized for their healthcare amongst other reasons. They gave several reasons for it actually..
Direct from the CBO website so you can read it AGAIN.
http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45096
The CBO states :