Sweat's journey begins

sweat90lx

And so it starts. I have researched until my mind is spinning in circles, so I'll make a thread to hopefully get me going in the right direction.
Equipment I have so far is a 55 gallon DT, aquatech 30-60, CRP 5 gallon five with maxi jet 400, Koralia 4. 10 gallon QT tank with Tetra T1 and Rio 200.
Hoping to buy live sand and dry rock with this weeks paycheck and maybe lights, most likely a T5 setup for now.

Cleaning and leak testing so far. Think I'm gonna get a background for my 55, got some ideas kicking around. Any advice or pointers will be greatly appreciated
Sent from my Rezound Tapatalk 2

sweat90lx

I got the refugium from a friend, for FREE! lol.
Ordered some dry rock, sand, heater, and some more testing supplies today. Not sure how long shipping will be with the holiday, but hope to get started by next weekend.

gemmy

Can't wait for the build. As for the background, I say paint the tank black if you plan on a reef. It makes the colors POP.

sweat90lx

Was thinking of getting my cousin to make me a vinyl black background with some kind of design on it.
Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

slice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemmy http:///t/391771/sweats-journey-begins#post_3476199
Can't wait for the build. As for the background, I say paint the tank black if you plan on a reef. It makes the colors POP.
+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat90lx
http:///t/391771/sweats-journey-begins#post_3476200
Was thinking of getting my cousin to make me a vinyl black background with some kind of design on it.
Any design in the background must be something you can live with for (hopefully) many years to come. What may look cool today may not be so cool in a year or two (take it from Gemmy).
I think you'd be much better off with a plain black painted background. You really can't go wrong with that.
Good to hear you are taking your time and researching first. Your patience will pay off.
Looking forward to your progress!

gemmy

+1
Any design in the background must be something you can live with for (hopefully) many years to come. What may look cool today may not be so cool in a year or two (take it from Gemmy).
I think you'd be much better off with a plain black painted background. You really can't go wrong with that.
Good to hear you are taking your time and researching first. Your patience will pay off.
Looking forward to your progress!
Just look at my thread tank reincarnation in the reef discussion forum.

sweat90lx

Gemmy I have read your thread, and your seahorse thread. You do a great job with updates and pictures.
Will Krylon paint work for painting the background?

reefkprz

yup krylon will work just fine. so wont chalk board paint (thats what I used on my tank) couldnt tell you if one holds up better than the other. but they will both work.

sweat90lx

I got it painted this morning and everything is setup where I think it will be. Rock and sand should be here in 4 days.
Should I cycle with just dry rock or get some live rock before I start?
What lighting do I need for the refugium? I might have to get creative with this because I want it behind rather than over.

sweat90lx

Got my dry rock today and only spent a few hours trying to get it right. Probably will change a few more times.
Still waiting on sand, heater, and more testing stuff to arrive.
Might order some live rubble rock to seed it and still haven't decided on lighting yet. I'm thinking of doing a DIY led setup. I'm at the point where I know what's best and what's the cheapest, and haven't found the medium yet.
Here's the rock, any suggestions on it?

gemmy

I think it would look even better if you opened the center a bit and built one side higher than another. I think it will make it look more natural.

sweat90lx

I think so too Gemmy. I tried a few ways to get that and will try some more until I get it right.
Found some ideas on the LEDs today and have a plan started.

sweat90lx

Well my patience is being tested already. Lol. My sand still hasn't arrived and I have some play sand.
Got the testing supplies in and a new jager heater.
Changed the aquascape many, many times but I'm close, I think.

Last one is how it is now. My patience will get back in check when there is water in the tank and the cycle begins and I have some feeling of accomplishment.

snakeblitz33

I wouldn't use play sand unless it was 100% calcium carbonate...
I like the middle aquascape somewhat. :D
But of course, it's all your preference.