taking a new direction

snakeblitz33

I. am. so. Jealous.
This is just not fair. I'm stuck in Louisiana without a reef club and not having any reef buddies that I can go and talk to. GRRR. One day, one day.
So, gotten an ammonia spike yet? What's your timeline on getting the tank fixed up?

E

eric b 125

yeah, i feel privileged to have such knowledgable folks in my club.
i actually havent even started to cycle the rock yet. i'm doing a water change on my tank today and i will start cycling the rock after that. i'm hoping that i can have all this done by the new year but that's a little close. once it's together it's going to stay like that until i either move or upgrade my tank. i dont mind the wait though because i have some purchases to make and some changes equipment-wise

snakeblitz33

Yeah. I don't blame you. When I built my 20g aquarium stand, I didn't realize it, but I was also building it to fit several much larger size tanks. lol! So, I'll be upgrading sometime next year, if I'm lucky.

E

eric b 125

what size do you plan on next?
finally starting to cycle the rock.... the clock is officially ticking!

snakeblitz33

Either a 90g show tank or a 110g tall with a center overflow. :). I like tall tanks. Hard to light and get the flow right, but worth it.
Glad to hear of some progress!!

snakeblitz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric B 125 http:///t/389056/taking-a-new-direction/40#post_3439980
pain to work on too.
Yeah. Really deep and hard to reach the bottom, but I like them. Lots more room to aqua scape. I like the look of a coral drop off shelf with stonies on top and then Lps in the middle and softies on bottom. Makes it all look really good. IMO.
Hows that big acro you got doing?

E

eric b 125

i like the idea of the drop off shelf, too, but my experience with softies and sps in one system has obviously made me re-think about mixing them. i still have some soft corals in my tank, but they are on small rocks so they can be moved around easily and there's nothing that will spread like mushroom polyps or zoas any more.
the acro is doing good. i cant wait to have the aquascape completed again so things can grow in.

snakeblitz33

Well, I'll just keep those mushrooms and green star polyps for the softies that someone was kind enough to donate to me.

?

E

eric b 125

i tested for ammonia in my rock barrel and to my surprise it tested a 1.0 ppm! i thought it would take a little longer than that? should i do a small water change or just let it roll?

E

eric b 125

i've never really done water changes during a cycle and haven't had any problems. i'm just a little dumbfounded at those numbers after only 2 days. i guess i'll see what happens today and test tonight to see where this is headed. i have a hard time believing that the ammonia is on its way down.

luvmyreef

Yep, just keep testing and let it run it's course. I think you will be fine, and you'll be able to use the rock soon.

E

eric b 125

it would be killer if the cycle was done on thursday so i could get my aquascape re-done. i doubt it will be- i cant imagine 100+ lbs of rock curing in 4-5 days. i doubt i'll need all the rock anyways, so i will have to get started on building a stand for the 30 gallon asap.

E

eric b 125

nothing has changed in the past day:
ammonia: 2
trite: 1
trate: 20