Tank Reincarnation

gemmy

I figured that since I am doing major upgrades to my tank to mark the progress and the upgrades. I currently don't like the way my tank is looking and know it could be better. I have tightened up on my maintenance habits, but I still have issues.
Current tank:
55 gallon mixed reef w/ ugly blue background
Fluval 305 canister filter
2 mp 10's
1 koralia nano power head
aqua c remora skimmer (not functional just hanging on the back)
odyssea lighting- 2 250 watt halides and 4 96 watt power compact actinic
Reincarnated tank will have the same canister filter and the tank size will be the same but will have the following upgrades:
Maxspect Mazarra P-Series lighting system 2 modules
Deltec MCE600 HOB protein skimmer?? (still not sure if the $$ is worth it)
Heater
Black background
Anything else I should consider doing?? I am thinking about adding a HOB fuge. I will post pics of the progress.

slice

You know I will be closely following your progress.

A refugium, HOB or other, I think would be a great addition. I can't imagine not having mine. Does the canister pull from a surface skimmer box? My CPR HOB fuge has the surface skimmer box around the intake pump. I slurps off the water surface keeping it clean of scum.
Do you really need the koralia in addition to the MP10s? It was a red-letter day when I was able to pull those butt-ugly koralias out of my tank.
I also look forward to seeing a black background, any plans to adjust the rockscape? Add/remove rock?
You haven't had a heater?!? Please get that HOB refugium to hide the heater in.

gemmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice http:///t/390282/tank-reincarnation#post_3455237
You know I will be closely following your progress.

A refugium, HOB or other, I think would be a great addition. I can't imagine not having mine. Does the canister pull from a surface skimmer box? My CPR HOB fuge has the surface skimmer box around the intake pump. I slurps off the water surface keeping it clean of scum.
Do you really need the koralia in addition to the MP10s? It was a red-letter day when I was able to pull those butt-ugly koralias out of my tank.
I also look forward to seeing a black background, any plans to adjust the rockscape? Add/remove rock?
You haven't had a heater?!? Please get that HOB refugium to hide the heater in.
Looks like your the only one following.
I am going to add a HOB fuge. I am going to convert a HOB filter and turn it into a fuge with chaeto in it. I just have to find chaeto in stock. I'll also add some pods to it for my mandy.
I never had any surface scum. I have really good water movement, which is now going to improve even more. I am adding a spray bar.
I probably don't need the nano in addition to the mp 10's, but I keep it in there to add some movement behind the rocks.
I readjusted the rockscape to make room for the elegance. I could probably stand to add a little more, but I think I like the look.
I haven't had a heater since June when my Finnexx malfunctioned and jumped the temp to 91. It is on my shopping list when I order the skimmer tonight.

slice

You are adding the spray bar to the canister return, correct?
What media are you running in the canister? Do you dose? I don't remember...
As for heaters, I am sold on AquaVia Titaniums. I have 2 and need to replace them only on principle, they have been rock solid. (I will not admit that my DT's heater is nearing 2 years old)
What program(s) do you run on your MP10S? Are they wireless?
Looking forward to your report on the LEDs, I may take the plunge sometime this year.

gemmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice http:///t/390282/tank-reincarnation#post_3455448
You are adding the spray bar to the canister return, correct?
What media are you running in the canister? Do you dose? I don't remember...
As for heaters, I am sold on AquaVia Titaniums. I have 2 and need to replace them only on principle, they have been rock solid. (I will not admit that my DT's heater is nearing 2 years old)
What program(s) do you run on your MP10S? Are they wireless?
Looking forward to your report on the LEDs, I may take the plunge sometime this year.
Yeah, I'm adding the spray bar to the canister return. I just got that and a new o-ring in the mail today. I run chemi pure elite and the fluval phosphate remover. I'm going to add purigen and new chemi pure elite to the canister. I don't dose. I don't have a need yet.
I'm terrified to run a heater on my tank, since the last one heated my tank too much. I will just get over it and order new ones. Do you use a controller? If so, which one?
The MP10's are anti-synced to reef crest, I believe. They are wireless.
I'll let you know how the lights go. I'm optimistic that they will help my tank a lot.

slice

No, I don't run a controller, but I'd LOVE to have one. The best thing would be the fail-safe on the heater.
I also do not have an ATO. Would like to have one of those as well.
I manually dose every day.
My MP10s are not wireless, so I have to sync or anti-sync manually (yes you can do that, well...sorta).
If you bump up the volume of the 'fuge, you can get rid of the canister...just sayin'...
You could still run Chemipure in the return overflow.

flower

I'm following along as well...I use an in tank refugium, just to keep amphipods for the horses..they hunt them down so bad they eat them up before they can properly populate. I also want some copepods to be able to add a mandarin some day. I looked real hard at the HOB type...
Nothing beats a good spray bar for surface movement.

slice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice http:///t/390282/tank-reincarnation#post_3455456
No, I don't run a controller, but I'd LOVE to have one. The best thing would be the fail-safe on the heater.
I also do not have an ATO. Would like to have one of those as well.
I manually dose every day.
My MP10s are not wireless, so I have to sync or anti-sync manually (yes you can do that, well...sorta).
If you bump up the volume of the 'fuge, you can get rid of the canister...just sayin'...
You could still run Chemipure in the return overflow.
Another thought, You are thinking about a separate canister, fuge and skimmer.
If you got a large skimmer/fuge combo, you would eliminate the canister maintenance and reduce your system's pumps from 3 to 1. Your system volume is roughly the same as mine. I yield to Shawn on the best HOB skimmer, but the new CPR Aeroforce skimmer/fuge combo is superior to my older BakPak skimmer/fuge combo and it does me just fine.
Dropping back from 3 pumps to one might be something to seriously consider.
Having said all that, all future builds will be sump. I won't do HOB again.

acrylic51

Following along as well Gemmy.....Don't go over board on heaters....Just a small heater to maintain the temp nothing to possibly overheat your setup......I'm of a different opinion though on spray bars......A maintenance issue, and really can't say how affect the flow really is.....There's more to water movement then just blowing water around.....Most people are missing the true point or purpose of the return pump and water movement inside the tank.....MP10's excellent choice.....I do live the wireless feature on mine......
Another option to look at on skimmer might be the Reef Octopus....I only recommended Deltec, because in another post you asked for the cream of the crop.......
Controller if your interested.....Apex by Neptune. If you want supreme by some peoples standards look at the Profilux......$2,000, would get you in the ball park, so the Apex is more than capable and just as nice IMHO......

gemmy

I ordered the deltec skimmer, a heater, some H2Ocean salt, new refractometer, and more chemi pure elite.

gemmy

Now, after reading and looking at a few threads/tanks, I am wondering if I have the correct water flow in the tank. I currently have the MP10's across from each other on each end of the tank. Should I move them?

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemmy http:///t/390282/tank-reincarnation#post_3455555
Now, after reading and looking at a few threads/tanks, I am wondering if I have the correct water flow in the tank. I currently have the MP10's across from each other on each end of the tank. Should I move them?
BAHAHAHA.......you know this PH positioning thing is very confusing

snakeblitz33

Yeah. There's a lot more to water flow then just pumping water around. I'm liking all of your equipment choices so far. You really should consider adding a fuge to your system.
Im tagging along.

gemmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/390282/tank-reincarnation#post_3455977
Yeah. There's a lot more to water flow then just pumping water around. I'm liking all of your equipment choices so far. You really should consider adding a fuge to your system.
Im tagging along.
I want to have a sump with a fuge, but I really can't in my apartment. Now, I am hoping to buy a house in June (going to talk to a realtor to see if this can become reality). If I get a house, I will definitely add a sump with a fuge. I am definitely going to add a HOB fuge to help a little.

snakeblitz33

Great! Glad to know your gonna use some macro in your setup. It's well worth it.
Could you post a recent pic so we can get a decent idea of what your current setup looks like before the improvements?