Tank with ich, testing No-Ich

U

usirchchris

Originally Posted by deejeff442
http:///forum/post/3049015
there are some great ways to remover copper now .
even with it seeping into the silicone after running copper removing medias i think in a few months the traces of copper are so low the corals and inverts wont have a problem with it.
I read something interesting the other day that I did not know about copper. The article stated that the copper binds with the rock and sand, to a point that it cannot be removed. It stated you can remove all of the "free" copper, and to this end you could put inverts such as hermits, shrimp...stuff like that, but it stated inverts such as snails, anemones,...slimy stuff...had an acid that would release the bonded copper. I had a tank that I coppered and put in snails...turbo's and conch's and neither made it for a month or more, but I was able to keep a hermit. Seemed to explain the problem for me.

mantisman51

I used CopperSafe in my 125g when it was still a FW tank. I added more sand to make a DSB, but other than raising the sg and adding LR, all I did was treat the water I was changing when I raised the sg and subsequent water changes with Amquel+. I now have a beatiful reef with tons of inverts, including lots of snails. The Amquel bottle state that it removes copper and I believe it. I have no issues keeping inverts and coral of any kind. Matter of fact, I even mixed the previous 1" layer of sand up with new live sand and some sand I bought from the local lumber store, so I am sure it is not buried under the new sand. Having said that, I would in no way treat a DT with copper, if I had a choice.

outsdr2

Originally Posted by usirchchris
http:///forum/post/3049266
If the 90 is the reef tank yes...if you take all the fish out (leave it emtpy for 6 weeks) the parasite will die off as it has nothing to feed on. However, when you transfer the infected fish into the 350 you are then introducing it into that tank. Don't think you would want to treat ich in a 350, that would take alot of copper, or a ton of water changes for hypo. If you do not rid the fish of the parasite you will re-introduce it to the 90 as soon as you put them back in.
I have ****** confirmed in both tanks.
what do you recommend as far as minimizing collateral damage.

deejeff442

i just got back from a lfs a little while ago to get a copper test kit.
this guy said he uses and recomends kick-ich
i told him i trird hypo and he had no clue what that was.
he says the kick-ick works great.
i told him well your the first one i have ever heard say that.

pezenfuego

http:///forum/post/3049746
Unlike other things, Kick ich is really not harmful for your DT...but it is by no means a cure for ich...it might help a bit, but go with copper or hypo.
From what I've heard ^

meowzer

http:///forum/post/3049746
LOL...I would really have to think twice about going there again....

U

usirchchris

Originally Posted by outsdr2
http:///forum/post/3049634
I have ****** confirmed in both tanks.
what do you recommend as far as minimizing collateral damage.

How bad is the outbreak? If you see spots, but the fish are acting relatively normal and eating well, I would just keep the water pristine, and feed them well to keep the immune up. Fish can build a tolerance to the parasite, and show no signs, though it is still there. While doing this I would set up a QT tank, and wait for it to cycle, and then treat the fish. If the fish are fairly bad off...this is what I have done...Move all of your rock and inverts into one tank (I would move them into the 350, as it will be easier to treat a 90 gallon) The ich in the 350 will eventually die off if there are no fish in the tank. I would take the sand out of the 90 as well, if this is a reef tank. Then use Cupramine or hypo to treat the fish. I would only do this second move as a last resort. Setting up a QT is much easier, and leaves nothing to worry about so far as copper leaching back out of anything. I have fish only tanks with a random invert here or there, so I really don't worry about what I bomb with copper.

deejeff442

yea the dude at the store wasnt too swift.
we go to the movies next door once in a while and i stop in to look.
only reason i was there was because the store i bought the copper at was out of test kits for it.
so i went to *****(useless)my usuall big lfs but closed for holiday,so i stopped there and it was the kit i was looking for and the last one.
sure wouldnt buy a fish there.
well yesterday the fish were all loaded with ich except my fowleri tang(weird) and my foxface.
the achilles was at the bottom but would swim to the ph once in a while for relief massage.
i got the copper up to the right level.
went down this morning and figured i would find a dead fish but all of them are swimming around even the achilles and not going to the ph.
the light is off so i cant see them up close yet but,swimming is a good sign.
the copper is in there almost 3 days and the ich 5 .so the ich should be falling off today .
what a mess.had more trouble in the last two month than in the last 10 yrs.