Tanked!

J

jackie dh

Bummer. Well at least we will get to see some cool looking tanks if we can stand the fools in the show.

saltfisher

I watched this the other day when they created the car tank for the 702 motoring guy. Here's where they mislead people. They set up a tank, go to a wholesaler and get nice fish, take them home, fill the new tank, drop the new fish right in. They don't show any acclimation periods, but discuss how important it is to QT for atleast 30 days.
Next episode looks pretty interesting...his wife is standing in someones tank that's fill of Blacktips.

J

jackie dh

I saw two episodes today and it bugged the heck out of me that they just threw a ton of fish right into a brand new set up, I want them to go back in a month to the mess that those tanks would be. Lots of dead fish and brown slime all over their pretty decorations. I did enjoy seeing the builds though and how they are getting the tanks in place, that gives me ideas....... :)

michaeltx

I highly doubt that a business like this would take that much risk with their profit and money. my take is that they have to plan ALOT before going in to do these. I would assume that they have already CURED and ready rock and sand to use in the builds so that the setup time is reduced to just setup and put the fish in.
I do agree that a show like this should put a dis claimer on the show about that issue though.
Mike

J

jackie dh

I hope that they do, it would be beyond idiotic if they didn't. Can you imagine the onslaught of people hitting the fish store that want to buy a tank that day and stock it with saltwater fish. :p Of course I've seen shops do just that, sell people the fish and tank the same day. :(

2quills

I saw a couple of episodes tonight. These guys build some of the nicest most high end aquariums in the world and are very good at what they do. I've actually checked out there sight numerous times and just realized who they were tonight. Most of their set ups are for hotels, restaraunts, high end homes...stuff like that, so they make their own faux rock work and coral, etc. They did speak upon the importance of quarantining. And it's probably true that we only see a small fraction of the process that goes into building these things and setting them up. As far as they work they do I think it's amazing. But as a business where money and time is on the line I'm sure things get rushed from time to time between setting up the tank and filling with livestock. This also happens more times then not when building large public aquariums. Deadlines run to close to grand openings and livestock gets thrown in only days before doors open. So often times they have to rely on specialized bacterial products to cycle aquariums quickly. I thought it was ok, I'll keep watching and see how it progresses.

tangs rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie DH http:///t/387359/tanked#post_3409311
I saw two episodes today and it bugged the heck out of me that they just threw a ton of fish right into a brand new set up, I want them to go back in a month to the mess that those tanks would be. Lots of dead fish and brown slime all over their pretty decorations. I did enjoy seeing the builds though and how they are getting the tanks in place, that gives me ideas....... :)
+1
I just cannot imagine throwing several dozen fishes right from the distributer into a tank at once without some qtine. What a waste of money and fine creatures. Most entertaining part for me was the GEICO gecko commercial.

1guydude

it was alright...i only watched half an episode. The one with the phone booth tank and the L shaped Mob tank! They acclimate but still the tank is really new...i wouldnt think the filters and tank have enough beneficial bacteria to sustain them!
You can deff tell the two main guys are from New York or Jersey or something!
kinda bugs me but im from NW lol!
Like i said it was okay...

cubnb79

i just watched the mob tank episode and they filled the tank right from hot water tap line...then cooled the water down to right temp. with ice right out of there ice machines...and put fish in it right away...i just wonder if its not just cut and filmed after the break in period and they just show the cool stuff

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubnb79 http:///t/387359/tanked#post_3409427
i just watched the mob tank episode and they filled the tank right from hot water tap line...then cooled the water down to right temp. with ice right out of there ice machines...and put fish in it right away...i just wonder if its not just cut and filmed after the break in period and they just show the cool stuff
Yeah I saw that too and wondered. Hard to say what's edited out and what isn't. Have to remember the producers are probably shooting more for entertainment value than they are for education. But I did see some things that bothered me when it came to the handling of the livestock.

1guydude

Quote:
But I did see some things that bothered me when it came to the handling of the livestock.
+1 but it is a reality show and im sure they do a fair amount of edit and paste lol!

travelerjp98

I agree with everything that has been said... I like the ideas, but I'm sure that they edit a lot out.. and only show the stuff non-aquarists would like!

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah! They have great advise for new hobbyists. Feed your fish black worms and brine for a well-balanced marine fish diet. WOW
This was written up with 2nd graders in mind.
http://animal.discovery.com/tv/tanked/top-5-tips-for-rookie-aquarists.html