The Bro's first Saltwater Aquarium 29g BioCube

the bro

Dont yall love diatom algae?

After getting home from class tonight I noticed that the few small patches of algae i scrubbed of the glass of my tank were back with vengence! Its covering most all of my LR and sand. I know its a common thing for newly cycled tanks so, im not freaking out. I have taken all the proper precautions to try to prevent this like using only RO/DI water, using clean seperate buckets for filling/topoff and water change maintenance.
So im looking for any and all advice on how to solve this problem and to prevent future algae blooms.

the bro

Here is currently what my fuge is looking like
What do yall think of the design anything you would change please let me know.

the bro

This is a niffty idea i had to replace the stock filter floss with the carbon in it.
I removed all the stock material/meadia from the plastic casing. Then cut some filter floss to the same size, applied it the original plastic piece and slid it back into place. Now all i have to do is change the piece of filter floss out when it gets dirty.
Im also looking for another place to put my chemi-pure besides the 2nd chamber if any1 has any ideas...

the bro

Originally Posted by nissan577
http:///forum/post/3219321
i forgot to tell you to do what you did.
but take out the sponge you already have filter floss.
Dont try to act as though that was your idea nissan j/k

As for the sponge i know its pointless but it keeps the overflow quiet, i need to find another way to quiet the flow before i get rid of it.
As for the Chemi-pure is there anywhere else i can place it, im out of ideas 1st chamber is heater so thats a no go. 2nd chamber it takes up half my fuge.3rd chamber is my pump that keeps sucking up the bag so that dont work.
Any idea's %%

nissan577

Originally Posted by The Bro
http:///forum/post/3219359
Dont try to act as though that was your idea nissan j/k

As for the sponge i know its pointless but it keeps the overflow quiet, i need to find another way to quiet the flow before i get rid of it.
As for the Chemi-pure is there anywhere else i can place it, im out of ideas 1st chamber is heater so thats a no go. 2nd chmaber it takes up half my fuge.3rd chamber is my pump that keeps sucking up the bag so that dont work.
Any idea's

i place it under the false floor of the 2nd chamber. this:

the bro

After spening hours taking down christmas lights, i was looking and my tank deciding what else could i mod. Modding my tank is starting to be just as fun as the rest of it.
So this is what i did today...
Material

2"--- piece of 5/8" hose
6"--- piece of 3/8" hose
3/8" to 5/8" hose adapter
3/8" stainless hose clamp
5/8" stainless hose clamp
Taking the little elbow out increased my flow so much, that the water lvl in my tank dropped about 1/2".

the bro

Originally Posted by nissan577
http:///forum/post/3220076
what did you do though????
Orginally it had that little elbow connecting the pump hose to the outlit. Elbows restrict water flow because the water can not just flow striaght it has to turn 90 deg. So now its a straight shot to the outlit. Just a easy way to raise flow in the tank.

the bro

Well my diatom Algae bloom finally ceased growing. Just let my lights run there normal cycle and let it suck all the trates out the water until it starved itself. Actually now my trates tested 0.
But now my water is somewhat cloudy, its not real bad though i dont know if it will get worse before it better.
Any ideas on why it got cloudy after the diatom Bloom? Is it common and will it clear up on its own?

the bro

Finally got my first coral!
I got a mixed paly colony for $20. It was not my first selection but for the price i couldnt pass it up! Figured it would be a great first speciman for my tank. I also grabbed 5 Nass snails while i was at the Lps.
I'll post pics when my tanks water clears up!

the bro

What do yall think about adding a canister filter to a BioCube? Is it possible? One would be a huge step up in filtration compared to the stock, and it would house all my media! Any ideas on how you would hook it up to a biocube?