The Bro's first Saltwater Aquarium 29g BioCube

nikesb

^truth. if anything, just get a external HOB refugium for a bigger and better nutrient export. I only use a bag of chemi pure elite in my 10g

the bro

Well after a week my water is so cloudy I can not even see my LR. It is starting to develop a greenish tint also. Before I was thinking it was a baterica bloom but now I'm leaning toward an algae bloom. Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?
I appreciate all the comments thanks As always!

the bro

Just wanted to post an update on my tank status. Well my water is FINALLY crystal clear! I waited for two weeks for it to clear up on its own, this never happened. So i decided to buy a UV sterilizer, within the 1st day of having this thing in my i noticed my water was clearer YAY!
Within 3 days the water was 100% better. I have had it in for a week now and my water is sparkling! I also picked me up one of the coralife power strips with the digital timer, now my tank replicates the phases of the day! My little paly is looking awesome tried to take a picture for yall, but my iphone wont take a picture of it worth a crap. Was supposed to have me a mated pair of clowns by today, but i been working on the house and have not had a chance to go to the lfs. I'll have them for sure next weekend.
Thanks for all yalls help!

the bro

Whats been up reefers! Finally found my wifes camera and can take some half decent pictures of what my tank is looking like these days. Warning my tank is not very stocked yet and the pictures still suck but at least its better than an iphone. Not pictured is my little eagle eye zoa, it fell off its rock so i repositioned it, and it will not open for picture day. Ill get a pic of him in when it decides to open back up. Hope yall enjoy

the bro

Yea i have still been around reading up on the forums. Was waiting until i had a few things to show off before i posted my progress. I actually just got the clown " wanted a pair but i figured I would rather kill 1 than 2 for my first fish. " The eagle eyes i just got in the last 2 weeks. Then today i found my wifes camera, so i was like hells yea let me take some pics of the tank and post them on the forums.
So far so good, i guess its beginners luck. I havent ran into any complations execpt for the cloudy water, an outbreak of red algae.
I think I got the wife taked into another fish for the tank soon. Also looking to get the 3.36 (108 watt) light upgrade soon which will hold me over on the lighting for awhile.
Btw question... I hear you can super glue frags to LR. How is this done do i just pull the frag out the water slap a little glue on the botton, and stick it back in the tank?

nissan577

usually what i do and im pretty sure many others as well is take out the LR and glue the frag with Super Glue Gel on the LR. but make sure both things are dry were your gonna glue it.
and why not get the sunpod????

the bro

Sunpod yup I want 1 really bad but that will have to be a birthday or chrismas present because of the cost. I been looking for a cheap used one on the bay but no luck so far. How does a sunpod look without the antinic bulbs installed? Will I still get the black light effect or should I look into MHs with CF antinics?

the bro

Thanks for the info as always Nissan. Yea a sunpod is definitely on my wish list. But the 108w upgrade will have to do for now until I have the money to spend on a sunpod. Question if I get a 250 watt sunpod can you just put a 150 watt bulb in it, would this create a 150 watt MH?

nikesb

radium has a better pop to the corals and but yet its whiter. really an amazing bulb. Spanko uses it in his tank, so that should give you an idea of how nice it is.

meowzer

Originally Posted by nikeSB
http:///forum/post/3243387
radium has a better pop to the corals and but yet its whiter. really an amazing bulb. Spanko uses it in his tank, so that should give you an idea of how nice it is.
Yes, but Spanko uses the 20K which is bluer

the bro

Anyone have any experience with cynobacteria? My tank isnt overwhelmed with it, but it does grown and annoys me. When i notice a patch ill blast it with my trusty turkey-baster and catch it while suspended with my net "although i always notice another patch a few days after".
I also bough an emerald crab that lasted a total of 2 hours lol poor guy. I floated him for about 30 mins and dropped him in the tank. He sank to the bottom where he stayed not moving. Two hours later he was still there so i flipped him up side down and he did not move. Pulled him out the tank and pronouced him dead. Also has anyone ever noticed small little bugs that swarm all over an emerald crab?
How important is it to dip corals and/or fish? This is not something i have done yet do i need to start? Which dip would yall recommend buying?

the bro

I also picked up a new fish while at the lfs. Decided to go with a coral beauty because it was the colors of my favorite football team. Guy at the lfs said they were really hardy and easy to care for "sounded good i bought it." Went home and did some research and found that they can be lps nippers!

So this fish is under careful watch! So for so good he pays no attention to anything buy my LR and gets along great with my clown.