The case of the disappering fish....

badasstang

I would rather take advice from people with experience, from a new person to the hobby to a a well experienced one, than from someone that is running a business selling fish. Even an amatuer hobbyist may have some good info, especially because he/she may have experienced the same problems as I.

d12monkey

Originally posted by BadASStang
I would rather take advice from people with experience, from a new person to the hobby to a a well experienced one, than from someone that is running a business selling fish. Even an amatuer hobbyist may have some good info, especially because he/she may have experienced the same problems as I.

I'm sorry but I'd have to disagree with you... What I believe in is that everyone should do is get advice from every source that they can collect from and choose the appropriate advice to follow. I don't feel that just because a person is in the industry for a living they are out to take advantage of you... Though you should be wary of them you shouldn't NOT
listen to what they say... They deal with aquaria in a music larger scale than most of us will in out life time. So they must know something.
I feel that you should attempt to heed advice from all avaliable sources that you can. For example my local LFS is very knowledgeable in the field of aquaria and from what I see is not out to scam everyone. He has given me many of the same advices that people like JnJ and TimO and Tony have given to many newbies here on this forum. But because it came from a LFS doesn't mean his out to get me, nor it doesn't mean that he doesn't know what he's doing.
Again I must state to people like badasstang and to DanJ that you must get advice from all avaliable sources and heed what you feel to be the correct information regardless of where it came from.
We are supposed to be the smartest animals on the planet. Let's act like it people
and stop badgering and putting down people who come on here to seek alternate sources of help.
Agreed DanJ may be acting hard headed, but that doesn't mean that we have to stoop to a lower level and make personal attacks at someone that is willing to seek help in solving his/her problems.
So people unless you have something constructive to add, please keep all derogatory and meaningless banter aside.
JnJ: It only seemed logical to address the issue of the catfish by means of isolation, via egg crate or movement into another tank. It's easier to address issues by using logic and a cool head instead of emotions. And I'm not saying that you didn't attempt to be civil. So don't get it in the wrong way.
I'm just trying to help out here even though I'm fairly new to the Saltwater aquaria hobby, I've been around the water for a long time. I've been around aquariums for the majority of my life. But thanks for the comment on my post.
DanJ: If you're not blocking these e-mail or have not abandoned this site. I strongly suggest that you reply here and see if we can figure out what can be done on the immediate level to root out the culprit of you woes. The most logical way to address your issue that I can find again is the isolation of your catfishes via egg crate or movement into another holding tank.
Sorry guys if I may be boring you with my ranting but I just couldn't take anymore bashing or the local fish suppliers and of DanJ. So again lets be civil and see how we can address the issues at hand. Which is DanJ Disappearances, not whether or not the LFS are reliable or just out to get you.

new2u

i know from experience the 2 kinds of LFS i actually worked for one of the "scamier" ones out there and they really just expected you to research cuz they would sell you anything if you really wanted it that bad

d12monkey

Originally posted by New2u
i know from experience the 2 kinds of LFS i actually worked for one of the "scamier" ones out there and they really just expected you to research cuz they would sell you anything if you really wanted it that bad

Yet there are others out there that can provide you with the service that you need. Hence why I still shop at mine. Which goes to refer back to my other post...What I believe in is that everyone should do is get advice from every source that they can collect from and choose the appropriate advice to follow.

Hence the informative and scientific way to doing research.
New2u: Though your experiences may have been bad that doesn't mean that you should stop attempting to get information from all the avaliable means. So by having worked at a LFS then that would make all you comments in regards to the aquaria hobby null and void according to you belief that the LFS are scammers? Does that mean that your 370+ comments are worthless? I doubt that you would agree with me. So that only leads me to conclude that should agree with my belief that information regardless of where it came from should be weighed for it's validity and use at ones caution.
And New2u I'm not trying to start any personal fights here. I'm just trying to disprove the common mentality floating around here that all LFS are scammers that could careless for their customers.

new2u

no no offence taken, i also know of a lot of great LFS that i visit frequently but there are 2 distinct groups and ppl should just stereotype them as "bad" like they seem to be here

d12monkey

Originally posted by New2u
no no offence taken, i also know of a lot of great LFS that i visit frequently but there are 2 distinct groups and ppl should just stereotype them as "bad" like they seem to be here

Good to hear. :D Now if only DanJ would respond then maybe we can use our small percentage of our brains that we actually use and figure a way to help him.
By the way I don't work at any LFS, I'm a dive instructor incase you guys are thinking I work at an LFS.

danj

Well I've been quite busy but I just caught up w/ all the posts..... Thanks D12 .... enough said. I have said before... the 3 tangs are gone off w/ Pete. They are quite well...... Now We are going to advance things and get a new tank for the fish. & the Sharks will keep the 29gallon tank. Now if everybody behaves.... we'll have no porblems. So let's start over okay? Friends??? :yes: So let's get started and everything else is water under the bridge..... :D

danj

Now I quardened off a section of the tank w/ a dividor, the sharks are not happy. Now lets see what happens...... :scared:

magooo2

Since we all are starting off on a new foot Dan....My I ask who your favorite driver is.... I am a Rusty Fan myself.Go team Penske.....

danj

New2.... I have 2 black Percula claowns, 2 hawaiian damsels, 1 velvet damsel, 4 yellow tail damsels, 1 firefish goby. Also have a Hatian aneome, 3 or 4 snails 2 pepermint shrimp & maybe 4 or 5 hermit crabs. Now I know there is supposed to be 1 orange percula & 1 royal gramma but neither have been seen in a day or so.
Magoo.... I'm a diehard Earnhart fan ... but also a Tony Stewart fan ... I used to follow hin in the IRL.....

new2u

hmm strange that more fish are going even with the sharks roped of, it could be your shrimp are making short work of them though

d12monkey

DanJ: No prob I just got tired of watching people get badgered on this forum for asking for help.
Well onto the problem... the 2 fish that went missing was that before or after placing the divider on the tank?
New2u: The shrimps and the hermits could not have eaten all of the carcass of the 2 missing fish in 2 days without leaving some sort of traces. SO DanJ was it before or after the divider that you noticed they were gone?