The case of the disappering fish....

new2u

i get a half gallon a day on my 55 with a ton of surface agitation as well as an eggcrate lid, but when i had glass, what eveaporation! lool

jacknjill

in my 55, when i have the glass tops on i barely have any evap. but if i leave them off then it evaporates pretty quickly

timo

Magoo : Lay off the pipe, man.
Dan : Don't underestimate a dog to eat a fish. Or lick it till it goes under a couch in another room.
Also, as a note, keep the tank water level more constant. The sudden salinity flux is the issue with that one.
Let's see those fish!

d12monkey

I had 2 gals on my 29 gal not the 55, the 55 I get about a gal a day.
But My rate is because I have 600+ total Watts that heat up the water and I have to run a 10" fan and a 5" fan constantly to maintain the temp where I want it. And like DSkidmore mentioned it will vary on a lot of factors.

d12monkey

DanJ Your curse is spreading!!!!!....
I bought a firefish goby today and acclimated him into his new home. closed the door so cats couldn't get to it if it jumped out. And Guess what??? Upon checking on how the fish is doing 2 hours later? the fish was gone. I know they are jumpers which is why the door was closed. But I have absolutely no trace of that fish in my tank. And he was big About 3 in

danj

Good Morning all...... Here are the pictures as requested. 1 trying to get an up close picof a moving fish is wasy hard, 2 picture quality suffered because no the best camera...

danj

BTW ... my firefish ... definitely comes out for a swim but periodically goes back to his hole.....

danj

Before somebody says anything ........ to day is cleaningday .... gotta take the cover to be washed etc. OMG!!! one of the yellow tail just came outr of hiding ... I haven't seen it 2 days!!! :joy: :joy: :joy:

katiebc

Hey just out of curiosity what are the deminsions of your tank the pix make it look bigger than 29 gallons. You sure it's just 29 g's. I'm being nice here, trying to help!!!

d12monkey

Water looks a little low. How much evaportation are you getting out of your tank? Salinity swings is a large factor on fish stress.

debbie g

Have you checked your overflows and in the filters themselves? One of my fish made it all the way down to my refugium and I heard of another case where someone's fish made it into their CANISTER filter!

danj

DEBBIEG Hey thanks for the info .... I use an Emporor 400 and a Prizm
Skimmer... no canisters ...though I might for the next tank. Need to know more first. But anyway ....
KATIEBC tank is 30x12 1/2x18 3/4.
D12... It takes about 2 weeks to drop 2" or what you saw in those pictures.... & I'm really good about refilling w/ declorinated fw and then checking the levels.
I'm picking up some hermits & snails today.... I hope... also trading in the 2 hawaiian Damsels for 3 percula clowns..... I want to eliminate the more aggressives in the tank for the more docile .... I hope it goes well....
:yes: :thinking: :yes: