The Evil Bible

yearofthenick

Originally Posted by bionicarm
http:///forum/post/3009924
As Mantisman stated, I know more about the Bible and religion than you think. My mother is a devout Catholic of 83 years, and I grew up respecting her religion. I went to Catholic school for 6 years. God and the Bible were drilled into my head on a daily basis. All the time I listened to this, I always thought to myself, "This 'person' that these people revere so much doesn't make sense to me. Where's the logic behind it?" I just didn't get 'it'. I think logically, not spiritually. I base my beliefs on the physical, not what I call The Supernatural. I'm a realist. You want me to believe in something? Show me physical proof. Writings in a book that's a couple thousand years old isn't PHYSICAL proof.
I honestly have no reason to hate or blame God. To me, he's just a figment of the imagination, drummed up by religious zealots to inspire their followers to follow and respect their principles.
If I were to put two and two together... does that mean you're calling your mom a religious zealot?

http:///forum/post/3009924
Remember that movie back in the 70's or 80's where this member of an African tribe (or was it an Australian aborigne?) was walking along, and a Coke bottle fell out of the sky and hit him on the head? He and his entire tribe proclaimed this bottle to be their God. Is that how you portray this 'being'? What exactly is gained by believing in a Higher Being? Do you honestly feel there's this magical place somewhere in the universe you soul goes to when you die? Again, no physical proof this place exists. The only way you'll ever know is by dying. And so far, there's no scientific way to bring you back from the dead to find out if there is a Heaven or Hell. There have been people who claim they've come back from the dead, and saw this bright light. But who really knows what happens. No physical proof.
The Cycle Of Life - You're born, you get laid, you die, the worms eat you.
The movie is "The Gods Must Be Crazy" and they made a sequel. It was an african from the bushman tribe.
Why stop at the bible though? I want to see proof that Alexander the great existed. All we have are manuscripts. what about all the roman emperors? Sure, we have some coins with a face on them, but whose face? How do we know it's them. What about every other historical figure we have only written info on?
Seriously though man, I'm done. It wouldn't be faith if we had facts. That's what we're arguing here - the difference between faith and facts. I have faith and you don't like it.... you want facts and I can't give it... you consider written manuscripts unacceptable means of historical proof... and you're asking for friggin noah's ark.

lil.guppy

1 Corinthians 13:4
Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant, does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered, does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
Love never fails
This is something I try to live by every day

bionicarm

Originally Posted by wfd1008
http:///forum/post/3009932
Bionic, you want proof, look around. I don't mean in your room, in the city, or anything like that. Get outdoors and look around and pay attention to the beauty that is around. That my friend is God. Whether it be the the sound of the bullfrogs, the wind and the trees dancing a waltz, or the creatures that you house in your tank. That beauty that you see is done by God's hand. That whisper that you hear in your head to give the dollar to the homeless guy on the corner, or to hold the door open for the old lady walking in behind you, that's the voice of God. Very faint, but if you're still, and listen close enough, you'll hear it.
Like that analogy hasn't been used a million times to validate the existence of God.
Prove it. Prove God created frogs, the Earth, or any other physical item you can think of. It's all conjecture. You have no physical evidence that things things just magically appeared because God went 'Poof". I can however show physical evidence through science how a frog came to being, how wind is made, how the Grand Canyon was formed. Proof.
Me helping a homeless person or opening a door for somebody has nothing to do with God. That's called manners, empathy, and being kind to another human being. If you walk around saying you hear little voices that tell you to do things, they're going to lock you up in a rubber room and throw away the key.

bionicarm

Originally Posted by YearOfTheNick
http:///forum/post/3009942
If I were to put two and two together... does that mean you're calling your mom a religious zealot?
The movie is "The Gods Must Be Crazy" and they made a sequel. It was an african from the bushman tribe.
Why stop at the bible though? I want to see proof that Alexander the great existed. All we have are manuscripts. what about all the roman emperors? Sure, we have some coins with a face on them, but whose face? How do we know it's them. What about every other historical figure we have only written info on?
Seriously though man, I'm done. It wouldn't be faith if we had facts. That's what we're arguing here - the difference between faith and facts. I have faith and you don't like it.... you want facts and I can't give it... you consider written manuscripts unacceptable means of historical proof... and you're asking for friggin noah's ark.
You hit the nail on the head - religion = faith. That's what religion is all about. It's having faith in your fellow man that counts. Like I said at the beginning, if you want to believe there's this Higher Being, and it gets you through the day believing that, then go for it. If that's what calms your nerves, and helps you sleep at night, enjoy the moment. Just don't chastise me if I don't agree with you.
And yes, my mother is defintely a religious zealot. Her sister was even worse. I couldn't open my mouth around her without hearing I was 'Going to Hell' because of some belief of mine. God Rest Her Soul (thought you'd like that one).

chilwil84

bionicarm;3010042 said:
Like that analogy hasn't been used a million times to validate the existence of God.
Prove it. Prove God created frogs, the Earth, or any other physical item you can think of. It's all conjecture. You have no physical evidence that things things just magically appeared because God went 'Poof". I can however show physical evidence through science how a frog came to being, how wind is made, how the Grand Canyon was formed. Proof.
i am far from religious and def believe in some form of evolution through time. the issue of where and when life on earth first began hasnt been answered by science. some people think a meteor may have deposited some form of bacterial life, but there is no proof of that. so as you stated above all science can say is "poof" and life began on earth.

bionicarm

Here ya go. Here's an article talking about the "historical" Jesus:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30034168/
Looks like there was a show about this topic last night:
The University of Illinois at Chicago professor traveled to the Holy Land to co-host the Discovery Channel documentary "Who Was Jesus?" which premiers April 5, Palm Sunday.
Try catching it on reruns. Sounds intriguing...

darthtang aw

I was trying to avoid interjecting myself in this discussion but I have to ask a question.
Which passage is it that God says to r@pe the women?
I know you are immediately thinking "spoils" as r@pe when it comes to women (shows how far our society has degenerated). However could it also not be translated to mean, take as a wife and enjoy her affections and companionship? Could it not mean allow her to live her life and work within the community and enjoy the "fruits" of her hard work in the community as a part of it?
See if these political and religious discussions haven't shown us anything else, they have shown us that grown men, once we have our mind made up will stick to our beliefs and lifestyles we have chosen. Regardless of what goes on around us. We will dislike things, people, and ideas with prejudice, regardless of what is presented to any us. Women and children on the other hand have a natural affinity to love unconditionally, change and still be molded/ change their minds based on what they see or learn around them. Men can not for the most part. It isn't in us to do so.
So the part about killing the men, is a common sense practice. If you allow the men to live in these wars they will seek revenge, fill themselves with hatred and cause future problems. Historically this has been proven. Yet on very few occasions do you see the same case by allowing women and children to live. In fact, the course of history has shown women and children assimilate into the conquerors society very easily.
Also, the passage in question is referring to dealing with those enemies that make war on the people of Jerusalem. Not Jerusalem conquering and making war with their neighbors.
See the bible is up for interpretation. If you want to see the bad and evil in it, you will. If you want to see good and love in it, you will.
Let me give you an example.
"I love Carmen Electra". How many ways can you interpret that? You will interpret it how you WANT to interpret it.
I am not a "church" going christian. I am a bible reading christian. There is a difference in my eyes. However the bible is open to interpretation based on what each person wants to get out of it. That is the beauty of this book. No other book (with the exception maybe being the U.S. constitution) can be interpreted to mean so many different things based on the wants, desires, and views of the reader.

dragonzim

Originally Posted by wfd1008
http:///forum/post/3009932
Bionic, you want proof, look around. I don't mean in your room, in the city, or anything like that. Get outdoors and look around and pay attention to the beauty that is around. That my friend is God. Whether it be the the sound of the bullfrogs, the wind and the trees dancing a waltz, or the creatures that you house in your tank. That beauty that you see is done by God's hand. That whisper that you hear in your head to give the dollar to the homeless guy on the corner, or to hold the door open for the old lady walking in behind you, that's the voice of God. Very faint, but if you're still, and listen close enough, you'll hear it.
I've stayed out of this til now, but what you wrote above 100% your OPINION only!

dcoyle11

If I may let me lend some advice.. I too have gone round and round with people on “Bible topic / Christian forums” with people with opinions as of Bionicarm. I have found it better to just teach the Word thru us as Christian believers thru our responses to one another. I know I am never going to change his mind or he mine. The only one that can change someone’s opinion / heart is the Holy Spirit. Engaging him and answering back will never work.. if we post Gods Word and have a iron sharpening iron discussion about what we feel we know to be truth he will continue to read and will try to engage but we should hold fast to this scripture: mark 4: 3 “Listen! Behold, a sower went out to sow. 4 And it happened, as he sowed, that some seed fell by the wayside; and the birds of the air[a] came and devoured it. 5 Some fell on stony ground, where it did not have much earth; and immediately it sprang up because it had no depth of earth. 6 But when the sun was up it was scorched, and because it had no root it withered away. 7 And some seed fell among thorns; and the thorns grew up and choked it, and it yielded no crop. 8 But other seed fell on good ground and yielded a crop that sprang up, increased and produced: some thirtyfold, some sixty, and some a hundred.”
9 And He said to them, “He who has ears to hear, let him hear!”
Remember Brothers and Sisters in Christ there is only one sower, but many types of people who will hear. God is Good… and remember
2 Timothy 4
Preach the Word
1 I charge you therefore before God and the Lord Jesus Christ, who will judge the living and the dead at[a] His appearing and His kingdom: 2 Preach the word! Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching. 3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers; 4 and they will turn their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables. 5 But you be watchful in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry.

bionicarm

Originally Posted by dcoyle11
http:///forum/post/3011146
If I may let me lend some advice.. I too have gone round and round with people on “Bible topic / Christian forums” with people with opinions as of Bionicarm. I have found it better to just teach the Word thru us as Christian believers thru our responses to one another. I know I am never going to change his mind or he mine. The only one that can change someone’s opinion / heart is the Holy Spirit. Engaging him and answering back will never work.. if we post Gods Word and have a iron sharpening iron discussion about what we feel we know to be truth he will continue to read and will try to engage but we should hold fast to this scripture: mark 4: 3 “Listen! Behold, a sower went out to sow. 4 And it happened, as he sowed, that some seed fell by the wayside; and the birds of the air[a] came and devoured it. 5 Some fell on stony ground, where it did not have much earth; and immediately it sprang up because it had no depth of earth. 6 But when the sun was up it was scorched, and because it had no root it withered away. 7 And some seed fell among thorns; and the thorns grew up and choked it, and it yielded no crop. 8 But other seed fell on good ground and yielded a crop that sprang up, increased and produced: some thirtyfold, some sixty, and some a hundred.”
9 And He said to them, “He who has ears to hear, let him hear!”
Remember Brothers and Sisters in Christ there is only one sower, but many types of people who will hear. God is Good… and remember
2 Timothy 4
Preach the Word
1 I charge you therefore before God and the Lord Jesus Christ, who will judge the living and the dead at[a] His appearing and His kingdom: 2 Preach the word! Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching. 3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers; 4 and they will turn their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables. 5 But you be watchful in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry.
Those two quotes made absolutely no sense, and provide no relevence whatsoever to the topic at hand. Who exactly is the Holy Spirit? Every picture I've ever seen of this entity was a dove. So am I supposed to surmise that all these white doves flying around are this mythical Holy Spirit watching over me? If said bird decides to 'drop his load' on my head, does that mean the Holy Spirit is ticked off at me for some reason?

dcoyle11

Originally Posted by lil.guppy
http:///forum/post/3009956
1 Corinthians 13:4
Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant, does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered, does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
Love never fails
This is something I try to live by every day

Hey lil.guppy thanks for the encouragement. I love placing my name in place of the word love and seeing how much I fall short each day. This is a great place to start in your walk with the Lord each day, ask Him to give you the strength to accomplish just one of these challenges. dcoyle11 is patient… ok stop right there.. hey Lord I pray that you would help me to be more patient, dcoyle11 is kind, and is not jealous; dcoyle11 does not brag and is not arrogant, OH Lord please help me in those things, dcoyle11 does not act unbecomingly; dcoyle11 does not seek its own, dcoyle11 is not provoked, dcoyle11 does not take into account a wrong suffered, dcoyle11 does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; dcoyle11 bears all things, dcoyle11 believes all things, dcoyle11 hopes all things, dcoyle11 endures all things. Dcoyle11 needs the Lord. To get this thread back on topic “Evil Bible” just try to read this and live by it and see what true love is…Oh man Lord do I need your help in each and every one of these things each and every day. Thank you Lord for these life changing definitions of Your Love..

yearofthenick

http:///forum/post/3011158
Those two quotes made absolutely no sense, and provide no relevence whatsoever to the topic at hand. Who exactly is the Holy Spirit? Every picture I've ever seen of this entity was a dove. So am I supposed to surmise that all these white doves flying around are this mythical Holy Spirit watching over me? If said bird decides to 'drop his load' on my head, does that mean the Holy Spirit is ticked off at me for some reason?

The first verse he quotes was a story that Jesus told. It talks about a farmer planting seeds in the ground... some fell on rocks and never grew, some fell amongst thorn bushes and although they started to grow, the thorns suffocated the plant and it died... some fell on good land, growing and prospering. The meaning behind the story is that the seeds are the word of God... sometimes when people hear the word of God, they discard it and nothing comes of it, like the seeds on the rock. Others will hear the word of God, but will eventually allow other things to overtake their lives, idolizing things, which is like the plant in the thorns. Lastly, some will hear the word and it will grow inside them, which is life-changing.
Personally, I'm more of a thorny plant... I'm always getting stuck and falling away.
As for the holy spirit, it's never been tangible. Not sure about these doves, but doves are not the holy spirit. If they crap on you then it's pure luck. Nothing more.

yearofthenick

Originally Posted by dcoyle11
http:///forum/post/3011221
Hey lil.guppy thanks for the encouragement. I love placing my name in place of the word love and seeing how much I fall short each day. This is a great place to start in your walk with the Lord each day, ask Him to give you the strength to accomplish just one of these challenges. dcoyle11 is patient… ok stop right there.. hey Lord I pray that you would help me to be more patient, dcoyle11 is kind, and is not jealous; dcoyle11 does not brag and is not arrogant, OH Lord please help me in those things, dcoyle11 does not act unbecomingly; dcoyle11 does not seek its own, dcoyle11 is not provoked, dcoyle11 does not take into account a wrong suffered, dcoyle11 does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; dcoyle11 bears all things, dcoyle11 believes all things, dcoyle11 hopes all things, dcoyle11 endures all things. Dcoyle11 needs the Lord. To get this thread back on topic “Evil Bible” just try to read this and live by it and see what true love is…Oh man Lord do I need your help in each and every one of these things each and every day. Thank you Lord for these life changing definitions of Your Love..
Wait a second... do you think that in order to live a Christian life you need to be nearly perfect? Man, that's got to be the biggest misconception of Christians. The FIRST STEP of becoming a Christian is by understanding that you are a sinner... you are a loser... you fall short. Any Christian that thinks he/she doesn't need any saving isn't actually a Christian at all.
The truth is that it would be awesome to absorb all the traits of what Love is in 1 Corinthians 13. But we kinda need to be perfect in order for that to happen, and none of us are perfect. We all have our vices and our shortcomings... but that's what makes it good... no one is better than the other. Every mistake I make shows that I am human.
Go beyond faith... deeper than evolution... let's look at this "moral code" that seems to connect almost everyone on the planet (except the politicians
). Where do you think that came from? There's something inside most of us that just knows the difference between right and wrong. Even my 1-year-old daughter knows things she shouldn't do... things we never taught her. I think what attracts us to the faith so much is that it resonates within our being. It goes in alignment with what we think/feel is right. It's a gospel that preaches love, not hate. Peace, not war.
Remember, the OT is historical, the NT (or the 'gospel') is life-application. Those who use the bible for evil are in alignment with the worst kind of devil... the one who looks exactly like God to them, but tells them to do wrong instead of good. It's the uninformed people who take the OT as a life-application and that's what kills... it would be like me finding a Third Reich book and living by it instead of using it as simple history, learning from it's wrongdoing.
How does "survival of the fittest" work in when we imprison 'dangerous' people? They're surviving, doing things that we don't like, to do it. How does natural selection fit in when we have nerds curing diseases who probably struggle using a knife to kill a chicken for dinner. They are valued for their contribution to society, although they couldn't survive in harsh conditions. Sure, I'm generalizing, but you get my point.

veni vidi vici

http:///forum/post/3011291
Wait a second... do you think that in order to live a Christian life you need to be nearly perfect? Man, that's got to be the biggest misconception of Christians. The FIRST STEP of becoming a Christian is by understanding that you are a sinner... you are a loser... you fall short. Any Christian that thinks he/she doesn't need any saving isn't actually a Christian at all.
The truth is that it would be awesome to absorb all the traits of what Love is in 1 Corinthians 13. But we kinda need to be perfect in order for that to happen, and none of us are perfect. We all have our vices and our shortcomings... but that's what makes it good... no one is better than the other. Every mistake I make shows that I am human.
Go beyond faith... deeper than evolution... let's look at this "moral code" that seems to connect almost everyone on the planet (except the politicians
). Where do you think that came from? There's something inside most of us that just knows the difference between right and wrong. Even my 1-year-old daughter knows things she shouldn't do... things we never taught her. I think what attracts us to the faith so much is that it resonates within our being. It goes in alignment with what we think/feel is right. It's a gospel that preaches love, not hate. Peace, not war.
Remember, the OT is historical, the NT (or the 'gospel') is life-application. Those who use the bible for evil are in alignment with the worst kind of devil... the one who looks exactly like God to them, but tells them to do wrong instead of good. It's the uninformed people who take the OT as a life-application and that's what kills... it would be like me finding a Third Reich book and living by it instead of using it as simple history, learning from it's wrongdoing.
How does "survival of the fittest" work in when we imprison 'dangerous' people? They're surviving, doing things that we don't like, to do it. How does natural selection fit in when we have nerds curing diseases who probably struggle using a knife to kill a chicken for dinner. They are valued for their contribution to society, although they couldn't survive in harsh conditions. Sure, I'm generalizing, but you get my point.
Point well taken and well spoken as well.

dcoyle11

The greatest understanding of all brother no misconceptions here..
The road thru Romans we all sin and will never be perfect by our own doings but thru faith in what He did for us on the cross.
Romans 3:23
for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,
Romans 5:8
But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 6:23
For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 10:8-10 (New King James Version)
8 But what does it say? “The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart”[a](that is, the word of faith which we preach): 9 that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
Never perfect just perfected thru our savior Jesus Christ.. man do I love the Lord

bionicarm

http:///forum/post/3011272
The first verse he quotes was a story that Jesus told. It talks about a farmer planting seeds in the ground... some fell on rocks and never grew, some fell amongst thorn bushes and although they started to grow, the thorns suffocated the plant and it died... some fell on good land, growing and prospering. The meaning behind the story is that the seeds are the word of God... sometimes when people hear the word of God, they discard it and nothing comes of it, like the seeds on the rock. Others will hear the word of God, but will eventually allow other things to overtake their lives, idolizing things, which is like the plant in the thorns. Lastly, some will hear the word and it will grow inside them, which is life-changing.
Personally, I'm more of a thorny plant... I'm always getting stuck and falling away.
As for the holy spirit, it's never been tangible. Not sure about these doves, but doves are not the holy spirit. If they crap on you then it's pure luck. Nothing more.
You Christians even have your own language! This dcoyle11 individual is even more over the top than you. There's a guy who hangs around the break room I work that sounds just like him. Everyone pretty much keeps their distance from him. If you don't, he starts preaching bible verses to you, and claims you're going to Hell if you don't absolve all your sins. He almost had a coronary the other day when somebody told him God and Jesus were just myths. He pulled his bible out, stood on a chairt, and started screaming various verses. We thought security was going to drag him away. Was pretty comical though. I thought that only happened in the movies or on the evangelical TV shows on Sunday mornings.

chilwil84

http:///forum/post/3011558
You Christians even have your own language! This dcoyle11 individual is even more over the top than you. There's a guy who hangs around the break room I work that sounds just like him. Everyone pretty much keeps their distance from him. If you don't, he starts preaching bible verses to you, and claims you're going to Hell if you don't absolve all your sins. He almost had a coronary the other day when somebody told him God and Jesus were just myths. He pulled his bible out, stood on a chairt, and started screaming various verses. We thought security was going to drag him away. Was pretty comical though. I thought that only happened in the movies or on the evangelical TV shows on Sunday mornings.

wow you are this far left and have a real job. i guess you probably just dont pay your taxes in exchange for having a real job.

chilwil84

a response for someone who only has something to say on this site if they can argue with someone who is not on the same side of the politicle spectrum.