The Golden Compass

rylan1

New children's movie. Saw previews that look very entertaining; however, the movie/ book endorses aethiest and anti-church beliefs even though they are watered down in the movie, and the author of the book is someone who has said he hates children's books/movies such as The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe/Narnia because of their christian themes.
I've done some research on the book (series) and at the end the main character kills God in the third book.
What are your opinons... are you going to see the movie.... is it no big deal .... Do you agree with the author .... is this an attempt to spread an aethiest agenda... Is the message bad for children or acceptable...?

fishy.....

Agree - no big deal. Just entertainment.
Fiction is Fiction.
I am sure children did not suddenly become religious after reading the Witch, the lion and the Wardrobe either.
And apparently the fifteen million people that bought the book didn't have a problem with it.
If someone questions their religious beliefs after reading a children's book (fiction no less) than I think they have far greater problems.

rylan1

Originally Posted by ruaround
not a big deal at all...
That depends... I think that if you share his views or are indifferent to them than you should see the movie and enjoy it.
However, I think that many parents may be unaware of the themes and that if you are Christian or really any God believing faith, that you should not support the movie.
I would encourage people who are considering that they research his books.
Because as you said its just entertainment, and I agree however we know that entertainment does encourage behavior and attidudes...and I know that many people/ entertainers have different views about life and religion, however it seems the purpose of the film or books is to push a godless view on children which I do not agree with, but I also see how you can argue the counterpart.

ruaround

Originally Posted by Rylan1
That depends... I think that if you share his views or are indifferent to them than you should see the movie and enjoy it.
However, I think that many parents may be unaware of the themes and that if you are Christian or really any God believing faith, that you should not support the movie.
I would encourage people who are considering that they research his books.
the reverse is true too... people that are athiest get sick of people pushing their christian views... i dont have a problem either way... my beliefs are mine... its not like a freakin childrens story is going to change that...
why wouldnt you suggest researching a christian author???

rylan1

the reverse is true too... people that are athiest get sick of people pushing their christian views... i dont have a problem either way... my beliefs are mine... its not like a freakin childrens story is going to change that...
I dont understand what you mean.
What I am saying is that this guy makes it clear to what the purpose of this book is and what his intent is. For parents, I would recommend they take a look at what he is saying before they decide to support the movie, and as I said...if they don't have a problem with it, then fine...enjoy the movie because as I mentioned it does look cool- but I choose not to support it.

mike22cha

I don't know. I don't think it should be shown in theaters, JMO. I mean, can't there be better things for kids to watch?

rylan1

Originally Posted by Fishy.....
Agree - no big deal. Just entertainment.
Fiction is Fiction.
I am sure children did not suddenly become religious after reading the Witch, the lion and the Wardrobe either.
And apparently the fifteen million people that bought the book didn't have a problem with it.
If someone questions their religious beliefs after reading a children's book than I think they have far greater problems.
a seed is a seed... and the point of the book is to plant that seed and maybe it will take and maybe it won't. But I believe that as do I would assume most christians... that the greatest deception is the belief that there is no God.
So for those 15mil- if they want to see the movie or read the book...fine, but for people who are unaware of the message of the book/movie... this is my attempt to make them aware of what is really going on, and that messages are wrapped up in a pretty little package called entertainment.

rylan1

Originally Posted by MIKE22cha
I don't know. I don't think it should be shown in theaters, JMO. I mean, can't there be better things for kids to watch?
My last comment for the night/day.
I'm not saying that... If there are movies such as Narnia or The Passion.... the author/studio has every right to put this movie out there. If you are not opposed to having your children see the movie... then go see it. Just be aware of the message of the movie is basically my point...so that you can make an informed decision.

mike22cha

I'm not saying that... If there are movies such as Narnia or The Passion.... the author/studio has every right to put this movie out there. If you are not opposed to having your children see the movie... then go see it. Just be aware of the message of the movie is basically my point...so that you can make an informed decision.
Ya I know what the message is and I strongly disagree with it. But it is a free country, so I don't know.
I appreciate what you're doing and letting everyone know waht the message is too.

stdreb27

This whole country is all about "not offending people" That bothers me. Oh can't offend the athist, the gay, the muslim, the minority, or whatever. These people getting offended need to take a chill pill.

ruaround

i have seen the lion the witch and the wardrobe numerous times... it never made me want to run out go right to church... personally i got Pagon views from that story...
so if it was a christian writing this story would you not suggest that they didnt need to "informed"???

ruaround

Originally Posted by stdreb27
This whole country is all about "not offending people" That bothers me. Oh can't offend the athist, the gay, the muslim, the minority, or whatever. These people getting offended need to take a chill pill.
i totally agree...

jmick

What's wrong with children being exposed to christain and atheist ideas? Can't they make up their own minds on what they believe? Personally, I don't find anything wrong with it and truth be told, it's up to the director of the movie to adapt the theme and I am certain it will not have a strong atheist push.
As for the "atheist agenda", I have no idea what you are talking about and that sounds rather paranoid. I have friends who are atheists and I have never witnessed them pushing their ideas on anyone else or bashing a christain for their beliefs.
This is a movie and take it for what it is, which is entertainment.

choog

Originally Posted by Jmick
What's wrong with children being exposed to christain and atheist ideas? Can't they make up their own minds on what they believe?

I agree with people making up their own minds, but children are not mature enough to do so most of the times. If someone wants to try to press their beliefs on someone they should do it with adults. Children are too easily influenced with whatever is "new", well really with any fad. If children could make their own decisions about things none of them would go to school, brush their teeth or anything productive really.
I really don't care about the movie or think it should be banned, but I do believe that it was done in poor taste.

stdreb27

Ideally, I'm going to indoctrinate my kids with my believes, since they are the right ones. (It wouldn't make any sense for me to knowingly believe wrong ones.)

But the problem is that you know, and I know that it is "entertainment" but kids little kids, and bigger ones so some degree don't. And if you really do care for your kids, then you will have to decide what to put infront of them as good parents.

stdreb27

i totally agree...
What should really cook your noodle, is that I'm offended by the effort not to offend, so how are they going to not offend me?
(but it is ok my beliefs reflect Judeo-Christian foundation so we don't have to worry about offending them)

jmick

This movie doesn't even have a rating yet and from what I have seen so far I wouldn't say it's aimed at the 5-10 year old crowd. Kids 11 and older are old enough to be exposed to idea's that run counter to Christainity and as a parent it'd be a great opportunity to talk about it.

choog

Originally Posted by Jmick
This movie doesn't even have a rating yet and from what I have seen so far I wouldn't say it's aimed at the 5-10 year old crowd. Kids 11 and older are old enough to be exposed to idea's that run counter to Christainity and as a parent it'd be a great opportunity to talk about it.
point taken. . . .but adult movies typically
don't have a kid as the main protagonist or are animated movies. . . .this makes it easy to assume that it is directed toward kids.