The "N" word vs the "N" word...

Let me explain that a little further...
Recently, some guy in the NFL got caught at some country concert saying "I will fight every n***er in here" when a black security guard wouldn't let him backstage to see Kenny Chesney. (Which begs the question why was some tough guy trying to get back stage to see Kenny Chesney anyways? But I digress)
I got the local ESPN radio station talking about the use of the word in sports, and in general. One person made the argument that anytime someone uses that word, it represents all black people. Another guy, who was a former two-time NFL Super Bowl champion said that it describes a very specific type of black person, and it wasn't all encompassing.
I'm curious what you all think about that.
When I hear that word, I immediately think of the drug dealing, gun toting, rap music blaring, violent, career criminal types, rolling down the street in their Escalade types. Ironically, I think there a good deal of white people as well who fit what my idea of that word is, but I don't think you can call someone out on that? The last thing I think of, is like any of my black friends, who more or less lead the same boring life I do.
The bottom line is, I feel like the "N word" to me, is more about a very specific type of person, as opposed to a broad generalization of a race. Maybe it's cause I'm a little younger, or in the north. Just thought it was an interesting discussion...

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I think when a non-white says that, then they are saying something degrading toward all blacks.
I think when blacks say that to one another.....well, I can't explain that at all unless it is one person referencing his/her enemy. Why would a race wish call each other this word while being so universally inappropriate and racist when a non-black uses it? Can't explain.

2quills

Why can women call each other the "B-word" but when a man says it it's sexist? It's like anything I guess, you have to take it in the context of which is used.
BTW, when I was up north the word used to classify a white guy walking around with his pants sagging were reffered to as Wiggers. Wasn't my word and I didn't make it up so don't shoot the messanger here lol.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
With the B-word, I think its a matter of looking at the context. You can see that with most name-calling. Were you in the middle of a fight with someone or was it said jokingly.
Considering the N word has such an adversarial, racist connotation, then I don't know why anyone would use it unless as a racial insult.

deejeff442

personally i say never use the C word to a woman . you will get shot .jeez i work with some pretty good black friends and hear the N word all day. i dont say it but i have no use for the word. but i do yell negro sometimes . of course i hear white boy back. also i have knows these guys for 10 years. to me why would anyone use a nasty word they know is an insult ? yes its because they know its an insult. just like wetback here. i know a chicano is a mexican born here but they still dont like the term.as far as i am concerned if the gov't losers wouldnt have to pander to race we would all get along so much better. hell this is the best country by far on the planet and it sure wasnt one race or sex that got us here. yet all the racism is making it to where we wont be #1 much longer. i wish the government was a certain color like green lets say ,so we could be racist to them

deejeff442

i watch old tv. Sandford and son it is so racist but i am never insulted . i laugh my butt off to it. people just love to complain these days i guess.picking on each other is fine but to get people like Sharpten and Jackson around is the problem.

2quills

Words in the English language are funny because one word could have multiple meanings. Especially when emotion is applied to them.

darthtang aw

I dont picture anyone when i hear that word used. When i hear someone use the "n" word i find myself thinking about how uneducated and ignorant the person using it is. Regardless of race.
Darth (ignorance is color blind) tang

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtang AW http:///t/396046/the-n-word-vs-the-n-word#post_3527949
I dont picture anyone when i hear that word used. When i hear someone use the "n" word i find myself thinking about how uneducated and ignorant the person using it is. Regardless of race.
Darth (ignorance is color blind) tang
No kidding. Add obnoxious to that.

darthtang aw

Lets take this a different direction
90% of murdered black people are murdered by black people.
70 of white murders are murdered by black people.
There is obviously a significant cultural problem just based off these statistics.
My question is why are the percentages this drastic?
Darth ( examining the real details) tang

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth tang AW http:///t/396046/the-n-word-vs-the-n-word#post_3528034
My question is why are the percentages this drastic?
Poverty, and a lack of options to a good education or a safe place to live could be a few reasons. I'd like not to cast dispersions upon everyone but not everyone gets the same choices in life and there are clear differences. You pack a bunch of white guys in a room with very little to live on and you'll see some less than civil behavior as well.
2 (Lord Of The Flies) Quills

It's a way of reclaiming the word. Maybe it isn't right, but it's not for me to decide. But I hate how white people point out that rap music uses it, and try to justify a white person using the word. It's kinda like the argument "she stuck her tongue out at me, so I'm going to stick my tongue out at her."
I'm from the South, and racism is very much still alive today. I get tired of people making racist jokes under their breath, and then elbow and wink at me b/c I'm white too.
The bottom line is that as a white male from the South, I can see why I shouldn't use the word. I can't speak for other people. But it is a very hateful word, and it's really suspect when I see other white people trying to justify the use of the word.

reefraff

Personally I don't think anyone has the right to get butt hurt if they hear a white or any other color person use the word if they are listening to it in their music all day. That doesn't excuse anyone using the word, just pointing out the hypocrisy.

I don't think it's hypocrisy. When a white person originally used the word, it came from a very hateful place. If you hear it in Rap music, it's more about taking that word back from those people who used that word in a derogatory way. But even if it's right or wrong, hypocritical or not, I'm not going to use that word.

flower

It's an ugly word, and it shouldn't be used by anyone.
Fattytwobyfour, it was not originally a "hateful" word. It was just a word to describe slaves, and slaves were considered sub-human and sold as property...much like the dog, a master could do what they wanted to them. Some were cruel, some even sexually abusive, and some loved their slaves like part of the family.
Nowadays since we are now more enlightened, people understand that all humans are people, none are substandard than others. Using the word, no matter who says it, black or white...shows a lack of intelligence.

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/396046/the-n-word-vs-the-n-word#post_3528050
It's an ugly word, and it shouldn't be used by anyone.
Fattytwobyfour, it was not originally a "hateful" word. It was just a word to describe slaves, and slaves were considered sub-human and sold as property...much like the dog, a master could do what they wanted to them. Some were cruel, some even sexually abusive, and some loved their slaves like part of the family.
Nowadays since we are now more enlightened, people understand that all humans are people, none are substandard than others. Using the word, no matter who says it, black or white...shows a lack of intelligence.
Zactly correct. It's sort of like telling people not to eat unhealthy food while you have a mouth full of french fries.

mohawkninja

To be honest, I don't think that the "N-word" should have so much power. Its a word. Whoop de do. if you take away the power associated with the word, and not put this taboo on it, people will say it less over time. I don't think everyone should get so flipped out just because someone says the "N-word" Just that phrase gives it to much power.

bang guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkninja http:///t/396046/the-n-word-vs-the-n-word#post_3528055
To be honest, I don't think that the "N-word" should have so much power. Its a word. Whoop de do. if you take away the power associated with the word, and not put this taboo on it, people will say it less over time. I don't think everyone should get so flipped out just because someone says the "N-word" Just that phrase gives it to much power.
You're absolutely right. The PC crowd has a lot of power derived through white guilt though. Perhaps the aura of this word will decrease with time as our differences become less opaque like in Martin Luther King's dream.