The One Question-Answer Thread

rlablan

For large, quick mixes and water changes, a pool pump is awesome. You can find them used on CL for really cheap and they last forever!! Just soak them in some Declor and give them a good rinsing with white vinegar.
They pump water so fast, after using one for water changes, I am now back to a maxijet 1200 and it is like an eternity waiting to pump 10 gallons.
Also, if you are concerned about water shooting out, put some clear plastic tubing on it with a hose clamp. This works really well so you can leave the water to move around in the bucket to mix salt, and not have to hold it or watch it.

R

roberts0909

Thanks, rlablan. It's a good thread, and don't sweat the negativity of one or two folks. The rest of us noobies appreciate the effort and info.

handbanana

My question is what do i have to do to get anyone to Help me with answers to my questions? I start something, get stumped, ask a Question and then never get a response. then i have to just guess and make an assumption. I apperciate what help i have gotten but what happened? are my questions irrelevent? do i need to change my name or make sure the spelling is 100% accurate?

bang guy

Most questions are answered in less than a day. If it goes more than a day try bumping it up. If nobody knows the answer you may not get a response.

mony97

Originally Posted by Handbanana
http:///forum/post/3190184
My question is what do i have to do to get anyone to Help me with answers to my questions? I start something, get stumped, ask a Question and then never get a response. then i have to just guess and make an assumption. I apperciate what help i have gotten but what happened? are my questions irrelevent? do i need to change my name or make sure the spelling is 100% accurate?
Sorry to hear your having trouble, I did too when I first started on this site, I dont think that people do not want to help but like Bang said sometimes people dont know the answer. also like Bang said try and bump it up (i.e post: bump please or something similar). My advice is stick with the site and keep trying things will come around. I just started my tank as well and was less than fun the first day or two trying to get everything working and for me to get up to speed but things will become easier and you will be so happy when they do and you get your fish. I'll do my best to watch for your posts and help when I can. And I think you had mentioned your camera was broke but try and get some pics up your tank sounds interesting. Also last bit sometimes you'll only get one answer, its not fun but it usually helps a little and you can try to formulate a new question off that.

tygoef

I'm currently using Oceanic, and haven't yet noticed any issues. I am only using it because it's the brand my LFS sells.

mie

If you were trying to colonize filter media with beneficial bacteria to say, (skip the cycle) for a new tank. How long would the filter media need to be in the sump or tank of an established system before puting it in the new tank?

xcali1985

depends on the size and type of media, along with tank size. You don't want anything to big as it will house to much of your current tanks bacterial and removing it would be the equal to say cleaning all the bioballs at once. Other than that, a decent size foam sponge say 3x4x2 inches would proabably start up a small tank in about a month.
if it takes about 6weeks to cycle a tank I would think it would take equally that long to "cycle" new media. I keep a sponge in my tank for QTs and always set it up the day before i go get my fish. I just throw the sponge in the tank and a little pump to pass water through it.(I attach it to the end of it)
Never had spikes even with extended QTs. I simply disgard the sponge after (although im sure bleaching them would be an effective way to reuse it. However, they are really cheap.

mie

Thanks for your response, but I think a cycle and colonizing are different, that is why I would think the timeline would be a bit different.

rlablan

If the media is rock, and you have a very established tank... I say a week for the rock to be colonized.
I say this because I had dead. base, rock that I bought for my new set up, put it in my other matured display tank, amongst my LR.
I then set up the new tank with dead, manufactured, sand and new water. Added about a gallon of old water from the old tank to the new 55 set up and then waited a few days.
I then removed the new base rock, and then added them to the new tank. Had all types of pods, and even a few bristles worms in the tank, within a few days.
At the time, the only "LIVE" rock was rock that had been in my other display for about a weeks time. (~5 days).
Everything else in the tank was "dead".

xcali1985

Ok im lost here now, are we talking about living organisms or the nitrogen cycle to establish on a new media. Because although the tank may have completed it cycle. I don't see how throwing a piece of media in the tank would populate it enough to aid in preventing a "spike" in a new tank in just a week.
You would still need for Ammonia to be broken down to nitrites and nitrates, this process never ends as long as there is living livestock in your tank.
If your looking for adding living organisms to a foam sponge or such, simply adding it into a sump and it should have creatures in it within hours how many who knows. But every now and again(not so much anymore) I look into my sump and there is little bugs and worms and such everywhere because nothing is eating at them or scaring them into hiding.

haktran

I have a question here. The length of a tank is more important or the volume of the tank? I see some > 125 gal tank that is 5 ft long and some < 125 gal tank that is 6 ft long. Thanks.

bang guy

Originally Posted by haktran
http:///forum/post/3194133
I have a question here. The length of a tank is more important or the volume of the tank? I see some > 125 gal tank that is 5 ft long and some < 125 gal tank that is 6 ft long. Thanks.
Some fish require more swim space so in that case the added length is useful. Other than that, water volume is more useful. I like a lot of front to back space (depth) because you can get better looking landscaping. For fish only tank some people prefer tall tanks because the fish stand out more.

pezenfuego

This seemed like a good idea but sort of failed. I think I'll give it a second chance. It just seems that with this forum there aren't very many threads that are always being discussed. Even stickies are seldom posted in.
Random question...hmm
Are damsels hardy enough to live in an epson salt tank?
I really tried to think of a question but was having problems. Can you tell? lol

S

shrimpy brains

K, I've got one.
With all the captive breeding that is now going on in the hobby, there seems to be an abundance of inbreeding.
Do you think that inbreeding doesn't matter in fish? Or are the long term results of this yet to be discovered??

S

shrimpy brains

Originally Posted by PEZenfuego
http:///forum/post/3227336
This seemed like a good idea but sort of failed. I think I'll give it a second chance. It just seems that with this forum there aren't very many threads that are always being discussed. Even stickies are seldom posted in.
Random question...hmm
Are damsels hardy enough to live in an epson salt tank?
I really tried to think of a question but was having problems. Can you tell? lol
I wouldn't do it, but my opinion would be.....yes.