THE T-5 Q&A THREAD

mauiman84

I am getting ready to purchase a 2x24 t5 setup for my eclipse hood and am wondering if they need to be covered or will condensation getting on the bulbs be ok. I was also wondering if just the 65w PC retrofit kit would be just about as good.

fanker

the 2x24w t-5s would be way better than the pc but they get condensation and creep on them but just wipe it offf

mauiman84

So if for some reason they don't fit under the existing clear protector they will be fine without something blocking them from the water then?

turningtim

Hello All! Haven't been around in a bit.

Fanker, I've been following most of your posts on t5 and have just purchased a TEK 6x54 used fixture. Its 6 months old and came with 4x 10k daylight and 2x acts. from what I'm getting this is to much daylight. What would you suggest for lights for a 55 reef.
Also, I want to use this on a 60" tank in a few months when I get it set up. If I retro these lights in a new hood will the ballasts handle 60" bulbs? I also have a couple of 175 mougles to add to the new hood. Is this over kill with the t5's at a 26" tank depth?
How high should these be off the tank? Is cooling a concern with these? What is the best operating temp?
Sorry for all the Q's!
Tim

debbie

Originally Posted by fanker
the 2x24w t-5s would be way better than the pc but they get condensation and creep on them but just wipe it offf

Fanker, may I ask a question regarding this too. We now have these lights here in Canada. "Holly snappin doodle". Everything comes in dam pieces. They don't sell complete hoods, figures hey. "Only in Canada"..... :mad:
Anyhow, my question to you is:
I currently have a 20 watt power-glo 18,000k that has been on my 25 gal tank for the past 3 years ( I have changed the bulb). Now I want your honesty not just because these new t5 whopping bulbs are the thing but compare to:
65 watt Coralife PC 50/50
or
2 24 watt t5's
Would there be a "huge" difference between either of these lights in what one could keep in their tank?
Also, for reflectors can one use tin foil?

saltn00b

Fanker,
What is the difference between T-5 and T-12 ? both are types of VHO correct?
it is my understanding that T-12's , which i have, are the double ended, fat ~1.5" diameter bulbs. i have only seen them 72" size. my icecap 660 can only handle 2 of these over my 6' 150g and the light is really rather weak. ice cap's website does not seller reflectors for 72" bulbs either. is there a better option for me? also i think some photos of the different bulbs being discussed here would be a great addition to this thread. thanks

fanker

Originally Posted by saltn00b
Fanker,
What is the difference between T-5 and T-12 ? both are types of VHO correct?
it is my understanding that T-12's , which i have, are the double ended, fat ~1.5" diameter bulbs. i have only seen them 72" size. my icecap 660 can only handle 2 of these over my 6' 150g and the light is really rather weak. ice cap's website does not seller reflectors for 72" bulbs either. is there a better option for me? also i think some photos of the different bulbs being discussed here would be a great addition to this thread. thanks

ok t-12 are different because instead of 1 1/2" they are .5" and since there is so much light going through such a small tube than there is more light comin out instead of getting cought in the big tube, t-5 are double ended also, and an 660 can run t-5s i think 4-6 48" t-5s which is much better ill chect the exact amount of lights u can get, ice cap does sell reflectors and end caps for t-5s, so i would switch but i will do pic on mon

saltn00b

ok so fanker how does this plan sound :
switch out my t-12s for 3 x 60" T-5s with reflectors, then buy another IC 660 with 3 more, so then i can have 6 x 60" T-5 (not sure of wattage) with reflectors, staggered to cover all 72" and i can have dawn / dusk with maybe what 600% more par ?

saltn00b

but even switching my 2 VHO t-12s out for three reflected 60" T-5 would be a much better and then i can upgrade to the second set later?

fanker

the 3 will be way better then the vho u have on now, but when u get the other 3 than u should be limitless

tervman

I have a 55g tank, and would like to get something other than the standard tank lights that came with the original set up. I would also like to get some corals, etc. Right now I only have a couple of fish and inverts.
Where can I get more info on these T5 lights? What would be recommended for a standard 4' 55g tank?
Thanks, in advance!

wangotango

there is a pretty lengthy thread on another forum, but i dont think im allowed to post its name. i would recommend the aquatinics fixture, im putting the 5x 54watt fixture on my 55.

saltn00b

yea 'pretty lengthy' is an undrstatement, but there is a wealth of information on it, some of it repetitious. i posted there too as aquapython.

dueces

I know that I am getting into this thread late but...
I been looking into upgrading my lights for some time. I have a 46g tank with 36" Current Orbit PC with 192watts. I was looking at the aquatinics 39x5 which would give me 195 watts. This isn't much more then what I have now and i can't seem to find any fixtures that have more watts at the 36" length.
What other fixtures are there for T5 that would give me more then 195 watts?
thanks

saltn00b

its not about wattage. that is a common misconception. wattage is best viewed as a measure of water penetration. and is only really applicable for large, deep tanks, where your best and only option for corals is really going to be MH. You want Lumens, or PAR values, which is basically the amount of photosynthetically available light for organisms. when you take a thin T-5 bulb and reflect it with a good reflector like ice cap, something 95%-99% reflective) the amount of light that T-5s produce is about 300% of the PAR that PCs and VHOs are putting out at the same size.

dueces

I am hesitate b/c I have had good luck with my Orbit light but feel that I am on the low end of lighting needs for my corals.
Am I totally missing the idea that 195w of T5 would actually turn out to be more(better) watts b/c better light makes it into the tank then with PC's. and is that the reason that PC bulbs are 96w vz. T5 that are 39w even though they are the same length.
So confused...Someone tell me if this is worth me upgrading to or am I making a lateral move in my lighting. Right now I have zoos, mushrooms, toadstool. I am just looking to keep Soft Corals, LPS. Maybe a clam
Currently I have 36" Current Orbit 4x96 PC
looking at 36" Aquactinics 4x39 T5 fixture
Thanks in advance.