There's ICK in my new tank

sh2000

Originally Posted by m0nk
http:///forum/post/2482703
I've had ich breakout in my DT twice and I haven't given up (second time was from not QTing new coral which must have brought in some eggs stuck to the rock). Once you've got the hypo thing down, it'll be much easier to deal with. I also had a much easier time getting my fish out of the DT the second time since I knew what worked. Basically, I do it when they're all sleeping. Anyway, QT anything
new for 6 weeks before it goes into your DT and you'll be good. I setup a 20L frag tank for a couple hundred bucks and in the long run it'll be much more worthwhile to have for other reasons too, but the big thing is that it'll save me money and aggravation.
I never heard of this and i'm not saying your wrong you are probably much more knowledgable than me but I never ever qt a coral...I have 40 corals in my 120 I lost 1 elegance in 1 year I just knew this was an option or that its recommended however I can't qt corals since I have MH's only in my 120 how would the corals survive in a tank without the right lighting. I cant afford to buy another MH. I never heard of qt corals i heard of Iodine dip to get out unwanted hitchikers but all I do is temp. acclimate and place in DT..Thanks for bringing this to my attention and please explain what you mean by qt corals.

sepulatian

You can use less lighting, but you would need to have something descent like a t-5. You only have to quarantine corals for three weeks. There would be no host for the ich so it will die. On fish, ich can be in the gill tissue and you would not notice it at first until they multiply. With rocks, corals, and inverts, there is no host so the ich dies off much quicker.

sh2000

I have 20w CF's its a terrible light in my QT and I dont think it's made for SW...My lfs charges alot for lights way overpriced...but thanks for the info will start saving and working more hours..I never thought of QT corals..Thanks guys

sepulatian

Originally Posted by SH2000
http:///forum/post/2482908
I have 20w CF's its a terrible light in my QT and I dont think it's made for SW...My lfs charges alot for lights way overpriced...but thanks for the info will start saving and working more hours..I never thought of QT corals..Thanks guys

Most lfs's do charge a lot. Google it and find one online. You are not alone. Many people do not think about quarantining corals until they get an outbreak without adding any fish.

sh2000

Thanks guys these boards are so informative sorry if I ask too many questions just trying to get the most info in as possible if always helps to have experienced reefers sharing thoughts with eachother. I'd rather have some knowledge than get dooped again by my LFS or by any LFS. They are out for the money not for the health and well being of our inhabitants..well most are I'm sure some are honest just not near me.

sepulatian

http:///forum/post/2482924
Thanks guys these boards are so informative sorry if I ask too many questions just trying to get the most info in as possible if always helps to have experienced reefers sharing thoughts with eachother. I'd rather have some knowledge than get dooped again by my LFS or by any LFS. They are out for the money not for the health and well being of our inhabitants..well most are I'm sure some are honest just not near me.
There is no need to apologize at all. Ask as many questions as you would like. That is what we are here for

m0nk

http:///forum/post/2482890
I never heard of this and i'm not saying your wrong you are probably much more knowledgable than me but I never ever qt a coral...I have 40 corals in my 120 I lost 1 elegance in 1 year I just knew this was an option or that its recommended however I can't qt corals since I have MH's only in my 120 how would the corals survive in a tank without the right lighting. I cant afford to buy another MH. I never heard of qt corals i heard of Iodine dip to get out unwanted hitchikers but all I do is temp. acclimate and place in DT..Thanks for bringing this to my attention and please explain what you mean by qt corals.
There are other reasons for putting coral info a frag tank before putting it into your DT (ich being only one reason), but the main one for the coral safety is to ensure you're not bringing in any bugs/flatworms/etc that don't come off with an iodine dip. You can't really do the iodine dip with SPS anyway. My 180g has MH and VHO but my frag tank has T5. If you want to do the frag tank, T5 is certainly a great way to do it without being too hard on the coral, just about anything that you keep under MH will do great under the right T5 setup. My frag tank is a 20L (only 13" tall) with a Current Sundial 30" fixture w/ 4x24w T5 bulbs and individually contoured reflectors. Since the tank is only 13", and the reflectors are a decent setup, this does great for all the SPS that are in there now. Hope that helps.