think the death penalty is ever appropriate for animal cruelty?

1journeyman

Originally Posted by wattsupdoc
http:///forum/post/2454173
... To take a wild animals life is a God given right. As it is also our duty to do so. ...
Non hunters seem to have a difficult time understanding the mentality of hunters. If you have not experienced it, then IMO, you do not have the ability to decide what it is about. When you say that if the result is killing something then its the killing you enjoy, you are absolutely incorrect. For me at least, I find that whenever I don't get a swift kill to be very unnerving. It happens though from time to time. It is much, much more than the killing. It is a bonding experience, a relationship between you and mother nature, where you interact and have a direct impact. A skill of understanding an animal, and how to outwit it. Especially when their senses have remained wild, while ours have been generally "evolved" away. Non hunters generally assume too that this is an easy task, what with all our superiority, rifles and technology, and is "unfair". I can attest to the fact that myself have spent many more days coming home empty handed than days where I have succeeded. Which translates to my loss in the game.
All animal populations need to be kept in check, lest we progress backwards as a society. They become a nuisance and overall dangerous situation. Not all animals that need to be kept in check are desirable for food, nor other practical uses, some, clothing and decoration. So what exactly do you propose is done with these animals, who is then to do you the service of removing them from possibly passing in front of your vehicle?
Yeesh, I feel like I'm arguing both sides...
I pointed out earlier biblically where meat was an acceptable food. That said, to say taking animals is a "God given right" and our duty, imo, is a bit too gar of a stretch. I've done my share of studying the Bible (including the word "dominion" found in the OT). If you want to follow a strict adherence to biblical teaching then we should be doing a lot more conservation and a lot less shooting...
I come from a long line of hunters on both sides of my family. I have tried it. So I have the perspective. I choose not to do it for exactly the reason you site occasionally occurs. Why risk badly injuring an animal and having it suffer? I can "interact" with Mother Nature without carrying a deer rifle. I've sat quietly on a large rock in the woods and had mule deer graze within feet of me. I've hiked near enough to Bison to hear them breath, I've watched a White Tail Doe give birth. I can have an impact on Mother Nature by picking up trash I see in the woods... It really doesn't take all that much thought to outwit an animal. They are, after all, animals. Sure, catching a Mantis Shrimp or a damsel in an aquarium
is a pain. Sure, getting that "perfect shot" takes some work. That said, my folks own 200 acres in the hill country of Texas. If I wanted, I could shoot a deer on any given day I choice to go shoot one... They are creatures of habit and not strategic geniuses.
It's only a "game" to a hunter". It's life-and-death survival
to the animal.
We can debate the need for population control another time. My point would be mankind is a poor substitute for nature's own control mechanisms. Arguments like "they might run in front of your car" are weak. After all, we've all seen the signs in neighborhoods which read "Slow, children at play"...

maxalmon

Originally Posted by maxalmon
http:///forum/post/2454200
There's an easy solution, if the killing involved the enjoyment and financial profit based on a thrill kill or somehow invloved the joy of taking a life (either human or animal), then that person is not a benefit to society and should be removed from the gene pool

Please don't try and use the step on a cockroach or removing a bristle worm, there is a defined difference.
Did anyone of you guys actually read the above post, There is a mental difference between a thrill killing, subsistence, pest killing...It's all about the mental state of the person who has done the killing behavior

1journeyman

http:///forum/post/2454353
Did anyone of you guys actually read the above post, There is a mental difference between a thrill killing, subsistence, pest killing...It's all about the mental state of the person who has done the killing behavior
Great.. go back to my earlier examples.
I know a lot of kids who love to go out in the woods and shoot anything that moves... According to some on this thread they should be put to death.

mike22cha

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
http:///forum/post/2454352
I pointed out earlier biblically where meat was an acceptable food. That said, to say taking animals is a "God given right" and our duty, imo, is a bit too gar of a stretch. I've done my share of studying the Bible (including the word "dominion" found in the OT). If you want to follow a strict adherence to biblical teaching then we should be doing a lot more conservation and a lot less shooting...
I come from a long line of hunters on both sides of my family. I have tried it. So I have the perspective. I choose not to do it for exactly the reason you site occasionally occurs. Why risk badly injuring an animal and having it suffer? I can "interact" with Mother Nature without carrying a deer rifle. I've sat quietly on a large rock in the woods and had mule deer graze within feet of me. I've hiked near enough to Bison to hear them breath, I've watched a White Tail Doe give birth. I can have an impact on Mother Nature by picking up trash I see in the woods... It really doesn't take all that much thought to outwit an animal. They are, after all, animals. Sure, catching a Mantis Shrimp or a damsel in an aquarium
is a pain. Sure, getting that "perfect shot" takes some work. That said, my folks own 200 acres in the hill country of Texas. If I wanted, I could shoot a deer on any given day I choice to go shoot one... They are creatures of habit and not strategic geniuses.
to the animal.
We can debate the need for population control another time. My point would be mankind is a poor substitute for nature's own control mechanisms. Arguments like "they might run in front of your car" are weak. After all, we've all seen the signs in neighborhoods which read "Slow, children at play"...
I agree with Journeyman here. I've never been hunting, none of my family are hunters, and I don't want too. I'd rather enjoy sitting, hiking, or camping and enjoying nature in its calmness.

maxalmon

http:///forum/post/2454360
I know a lot of kids who love to go out in the woods and shoot anything that moves... According to some on this thread they should be put to death.

Then I guess you are hive of perfected humans that think to kill something for a thrill is acceptable, Odd, toss a stick of dynamite in a reef and your postion would change, or would it?

darknes

http:///forum/post/2454360

Exactly what I'm trying to argue. If you grow up on a farm or small town, this is what you do for fun. Now, if they go out and capture an animal and start mutilating it for fun, then you could argue there might be something wrong. But shooting for the thrill of the hunt is very different.

darknes

http:///forum/post/2454375
Then I guess you are hive of perfected humans that think to kill something for a thrill is acceptable, Odd, toss a stick of dynamite in a reef and your postion would change, or would it?
I might get upset if someone did that, but I would never think they deserve to be put to death for it.

maxalmon

Originally Posted by Darknes
http:///forum/post/2454382
I might get upset if someone did that, but I would never think they deserve to be put to death for it.
So if somebody destroyed a living organism that was the the source of a cure for cancer due to overharvesting and they killed the last known example of that would provide the cure, you'd chalk it up to ....**********.
Premarin, one of the most common menupasule treatment is derived from the piss of a female horse////debate me on this

darknes

http:///forum/post/2454388
So if somebody destroyed a living organism that was the the source of a cure for cancer due to overharvesting and they killed the last known example of that would provide the cure, you'd chalk it up to ....Um. so f-king sorry.
Premarin, one of the most common menupasule treatment is derived from the piss of a female horse////debate me on this
That's an extreme example, and no, I still wouldnt think it would warrant the death penalty.

reefraff

http:///forum/post/2454352
to the animal.
If you walked close enough to a buffalo to hear it breath I question your judgment to begin with

Not wanting to hunt is one thing but saying you don't hunt because you fear injuring and animal and causing it to suffer, and then saying mankind is a poor substitute for natures own control mechanisms
You ever see a animal scraped out by wolves or coyotes?

maxalmon

What tickes me off is people who act as god and think that they are the Jury to decide what is or what isn't being social responsible. "oh, I'm so into preserving the reef or corals and fish" as long as I can keep my reef tank.........Pick one side and stay there

1journeyman

http:///forum/post/2454375
This post is not to argue whether it is "right" or not. I spent a good deal of my time arguing against it with students.
This thread asks if cruelty to animals is worthy of Capital Punishment...

1journeyman

Originally Posted by reefraff
http:///forum/post/2454571
If you walked close enough to a buffalo to hear it breath I question your judgment to begin with

Not wanting to hunt is one thing but saying you don't hunt because you fear injuring and animal and causing it to suffer, and then saying mankind is a poor substitute for natures own control mechanisms
You ever see a animal scraped out by wolves or coyotes?
Lol, the Bison scared me to death... We (my cousin and I) were hiking in Yellowstone. We were crawling under some thick evergreens and came right up on it. We crawled back quietly and quickly I assure you.

Predators "regulate" nature much better than man. That's my point. Ya, I've seen Canids killing their prey. Cats kills quickly, dogs otoh kill brutally.
A great example of my point is the Grey Wolf in Yellowstone Park (I did my senior Seminar in college on the Reintroduction fo the Grey Wolf into Yellowston and the Central Idaho Wilderness). In the 20-30s there was a bounty placed on wolves. The US Fish and Wildlife, along with Park Service, hunted the wolves to extinction in the Park. The thinking was they were a nuisance predator that was killing too many of the other animals.
Now, fast forward... Studies in Yellowstone showed numerous imbalances as a result. The coyote population grew in numbers far more than usual (wolves kill coyotes). The numbers of foxes in the Park plummeted (Wolves mostly ignore foxes, while coyotes see them as competition and kill them). Secondary predators like lynx, Martins, badgers, etc. decreased in numbers. They feed on the carcasses of wolf kills. The coyotes weren't killing enough large prey animals to feed them. Bird of prey numbers also were affected. Scientists learned they were also feeding on wolf kills. Small subterranean mammals, which are preyed upon by coyotes, had their numbers diminish. This began to effect the different plant life and the balance of forests and meadows in the Parks...
The point is, we can't properly balance nature like nature can. We simply don't understand it's intricasies.

maxalmon

And my response is that in the right circumstances with multiple, provable witnesses and it's provable that the person (other than basic subsistance) enjoyed or profited from killing the animal, they should be also be euthanisised.
Almost every study has shown that the pleasure killing of animals is a prelude to serious mental issues. Jeffery Dahmer started with skinning and torture of animals

1journeyman

http:///forum/post/2454781
And my response is that in the right circumstances with multiple, provable witnesses and it's provable that the person (other than basic subsistance) enjoyed or profited from killing the animal, they should be also be euthanisised. ...

There you go... I know a lot of people who grew up in the woods. Grew up shooting "varmints" and "pests" and are productive members of society today.
I don't agree with it, but I'm certainly not going to say they deserve the Death Penalty.

maxalmon

http:///forum/post/2454773
Lol, the Bison scared me to death... We (my cousin and I) were hiking in Yellowstone. We were crawling under some thick evergreens and came right up on it. We crawled back quietly and quickly I assure you.

Predators "regulate" nature much better than man. That's my point. Ya, I've seen Canids killing their prey. Cats kills quickly, dogs otoh kill brutally.
A great example of my point is the Grey Wolf in Yellowstone Park (I did my senior Seminar in college on the Reintroduction fo the Grey Wolf into Yellowston and the Central Idaho Wilderness). In the 20-30s there was a bounty placed on wolves. The US Fish and Wildlife, along with Park Service, hunted the wolves to extinction in the Park. The thinking was they were a nuisance predator that was killing too many of the other animals.
Now, fast forward... Studies in Yellowstone showed numerous imbalances as a result. The coyote population grew in numbers far more than usual (wolves kill coyotes). The numbers of foxes in the Park plummeted (Wolves mostly ignore foxes, while coyotes see them as competition and kill them). Secondary predators like lynx, Martins, badgers, etc. decreased in numbers. They feed on the carcasses of wolf kills. The coyotes weren't killing enough large prey animals to feed them. Bird of prey numbers also were affected. Scientists learned they were also feeding on wolf kills. Small subterranean mammals, which are preyed upon by coyotes, had their numbers diminish. This began to effect the different plant life and the balance of forests and meadows in the Parks...
The point is, we can't properly balance nature like nature can. We simply don't understand it's intricasies.
So we should let animal abusers and cruelty experts continue to do, what they do because coyotes #'s exploded...........I'm lost, what does this have to do with animal abuse?
A farmer who shoots a wolf/coyote is not the same as an animal thrill kill

1journeyman

http:///forum/post/2454798
So we should let animal abusers and cruelty experts continue to do, what they do because coyotes #'s exploded...........I'm lost, what does this have to do with animal abuse?
A farmer who shoots a wolf/coyote is not the same as an animal thrill kill
No.. please read what I quoted in the post you quoted. It was a side topic concerning "natural" versus "man" in controlling wildlife.