Today on the Reef

jayc

Olkay, I'm almost devinate I'm going to get some. Is it very easy to care for? Any major requirments? I agree with what fishmamma said your aquascaping is perfect! But if your like me your never satisfied with it, and always trying to get it to where you like it.
Josh

milomlo

Wax your tank looks awesome!! What kind of camera do you use? I am starting to look at new ones soon. Right now I have a Canon Elphi and I need something much better LOL

wax32

Originally Posted by fishmamma
The tank is really coming along Wax. The aquascaping is perfect, stop fiddling.

I think I'm done fiddling!

wax32

Originally Posted by JayC
Olkay, I'm almost devinate I'm going to get some. Is it very easy to care for? Any major requirments? I agree with what fishmamma said your aquascaping is perfect! But if your like me your never satisfied with it, and always trying to get it to where you like it.
Josh
No special care at all... medium light and medium to high flow. They don't eat anything (according to Eric Borneman).
Thanks for the compliments.

wax32

Originally Posted by milomlo
Wax your tank looks awesome!! What kind of camera do you use? I am starting to look at new ones soon. Right now I have a Canon Elphi and I need something much better LOL
Thanks.

I use a Sony Cybershot DSC-P150. It's 7.2 megapixel pocket camera. It takes nice pictures, although I must be honest, I am looking to get a digital SLR, so I can actually focus, instead of letting the camera do it. My wife won't let me spend the 800+ that a good one will cost though.

jayc

Originally Posted by wax32
No special care at all... medium light and medium to high flow. They don't eat anything (according to Eric Borneman).
Thanks for the compliments.

k, thanks alot! :joy:
Josh

xabxam

Hey Wax32, Is that your 29 gal pictured on the first page, with the sump/fuge shown below the stand, or is that your 70 gal? Either way, what kind of filtration are you running on each tank? Can you post pictures of the siltration system?

wax32

It's my 70. The 29 morphed into the sump for my 70. I just run a EuroReef RS5-2 skimmer and have about 120+ pounds of LR and 75 pounds of LS in the display, plus 6 inch sandbed and about 10 pounds of LR rubble in my fuge. If you want to see more pictures visit my website and click the project 70 link. The gear link on there shows what I had on the 29.

milomlo

Originally Posted by wax32
New coral in acclimation... stay tuned!

Hey Wax!
Thought I would share with ya. I just got my first mushroom. Green Hairy (what it is suppose to be anyway).
I also got the two firefish that guy was trying to get rid of.
So now my tank is:
2 clowns
2 firefish (already swimming about)
1 tail spot blenny (still hiding)
cleaner crew
1 peppermint shrimp
I went to get some more Nass snails as my sand bed is just dirty looking and they guy told me to try a sand sifter star that he would clean it good. Well by the time I got him home 2 of his legs were off.

I called them and they are giving me a store credit, but I am going to see if he will survive. He is in the back of the tank. But he hasn't moved at all. He might be dead. Not sure. If he is still in the same spot in the morning I will remove him.
Below are pictures of the mushroom I got. However, my firefish seems to be a camera hog. He was all over me everywhere I went. He just had to be in the picture.

wax32

Cool, nice Rhodactis!

Sand sifter stars are notorious for dying in captivity, due to acclimation problems. They aren't really a good choice for "cleaning" your sand either, what they really do is eat all of the micro-fauna that you want in your sand, and when they are done, they starve to death.

xabxam

Sweet zoo's Wax32! I was looking at your website, particularly at your fitration, and I couldn't understand the diagram of your set-up. Could you expain it to me?

wax32

Talking about this diagram?

I drew this up before actually installing the sump, it turned out to be backwards... lemme see if I can do a clearer one.
The main thing is, this is a reef ready tank, meaning it has a built in overflow, not a hang on the back, need to start a siphon, type overflow.

wax32

If you are unfamiliar with how an overflow works, I'll try to do a step by step with pictures...

Water Enters the Overflow

wax32

It enters the sump, mine has a small chamber for the water to splash around in, to limit microbubbles and noise a little:

Water Enters the Sump