tomb of jesus

30-xtra high

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
I keep hearing this but I don't understand this statement. How does it prove he didn't rise from the dead?
yea really!, a tomb.. could be an empty tomb.. meaning he did rise from the dead..
and a tomb.. could be somebody else's tomb..

bang guy

Originally Posted by 30-xtra high
yea really!, a tomb.. could be an empty tomb.. meaning he did rise from the dead..
and a tomb.. could be somebody else's tomb..
Couldn't it be he rose from the dead and then died again decades later?

renogaw

Originally Posted by DragonZim
So, basically, what you are saying is that even if you could potentially have definitive proof one way or the other about the existence of Jesus as a son of god, you wouldnt want that proof?
I'm not trying to be inflammatory, just curious actually.

sorry, but the world couldn't handle definitive proof that Jesus was a mortal man. Even though 2 other religions say he was (Judaism, Muslim) the Catholic/Christians would implode if there was proof positive that their 2k year old beliefs were proven false.

dragonzim

Originally Posted by renogaw
sorry, but the world couldn't handle definitive proof that Jesus was a mortal man. Even though 2 other religions say he was (Judaism, Muslim) the Catholic/Christians would implode if there was proof positive that their 2k year old beliefs were proven false.

LOL!

pontius

Originally Posted by watson3
These are the same people who say He had brothers and sisters...
um, Jesus DID have at least 2 brothers..... the apostle James and another brother named something like Yoseh. this is in the Bible.
Originally Posted by Renogaw

There will never be any such definitive proof. I doubt seriously they can test DNA from an empty 2000 year old box. but even if they could, there still would be no definitive proof that it is actually the Biblical Jesus.

watson3

Originally Posted by Pontius
um, Jesus DID have at least 2 brothers..... the apostle James and another brother named something like Yoseh. this is in the Bible.
Brother 2000 years ago was a term of friendship just like it is today

pontius

Originally Posted by watson3
Brother 2000 years ago was a term of friendship just like it is today
I think you need to re-read your Bible history....the disciple James was the brother of Jesus and the son of Mary and Joseph. the other 11 were spiritual "brothers" (though John the Baptist was his cousin), but James was an actual blood brother. there is nothing to dispute there. and I'm about 100% sure that there are other siblings named in the Bible as well.

watson3

Originally Posted by Pontius
I think you need to re-read your Bible history....the disciple James was the brother of Jesus and the son of Mary and Joseph. the other 11 were spiritual "brothers" (though John the Baptist was his cousin), but James was an actual blood brother. there is nothing to dispute there. and I'm about 100% sure that there are other siblings named in the Bible as well.
It does not say they were flesh and blood..

garnet13aj

well, the Jewish tradition back then was to put the body in a box for a set amount of time for the body to decay. after that, the body was removed and buried and that is what happend with these bodies. So I'd be interested to hear how they get testable DNA from a box that has been empty for 2000 years?
I would guess they would be testing hair or something, I personally doubt there is anything left to test though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet13aj
Well, if they did find a tomb it would prove he didn't rise from the dead.
I keep hearing this but I don't understand this statement. How does it prove he didn't rise from the dead?
I should have clarified. If there was a body inside the tomb it would prove that he didn't rise from the dead. I personally didn't watch the show because I read a review that said there wasn't actually any sound evidence. That coupled w/the fact that if it was actually jesus' tomb there would be a lot more focus on it than 1 measly made for tv documentary. So since I didn't watch it, I wasn't actually sure if it was empty or not.
I like that for once we are all in agreement though, that there is no sound basis to the idea that they have found jesus' tomb.

dogstar

Just for the record...
Mark 6:3. Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary, the brother of James, and Joses, and of Juda, and Simon? and are not his
sisters here with us?

team2jndd

Im not a religious person and I was dissapointed that I missed it. I thought with such an interesting topic they would have done a good job. I guess now I know why they didnt play it during sweeps.

sig45

Originally Posted by DragonZim
So, basically, what you are saying is that even if you could potentially have definitive proof one way or the other about the existence of Jesus as a son of god, you wouldnt want that proof?
I'm not trying to be inflammatory, just curious actually.
I dont think I would, like i said, is it possible that the religion i chose to follow is wrong, sure, but it does not change the fact thats where my hope and faith is, if believing in somethings makes me live a different way, a better life, then why question it, and of course im speaking in the content of what if... so i really cant say for sure. But i do question a persons motives that has no beleif or religion, trying to destroy joy of so many.

bang guy

Originally Posted by garnet13aj
I should have clarified. If there was a body inside the tomb it would prove that he didn't rise from the dead.
Why does everyone say that? How does it prove he didn't rise from the dead?

sig45

Why does everyone say that? How does it prove he didn't rise from the dead?
well the bible explains that Jesus did raise from the dead and accended to heaven. the way it is explained is that he rose as a man, right or wrong, who knows, i mean he could of just as easly appeared as a spirit, or I like the term holy ghost. we as humans seem to love signs, i live in clearwater Fl, we should all remember the image marry that appeared on a tinted huge office building window, people worship there for a few years. then some a-hole broke it, but any who, to answer your question, it would not change the fact that christ rised or not, it just questions if he was in the flesh or in a spirit form, no matter what, the end result was Christ accended to heaven. we do know he did walk as a humen.

tx reef

Originally Posted by sig45
But i do question a persons motives that has no beleif or religion, trying to destroy joy of so many.

Best way I have ever seen this expressed.

dcoyle11

Originally Posted by dcoyle11
That would be the flesh my friend.

I also agree very nicely put.....Again its called the Flesh...

johnny84

Originally Posted by team2jndd
Im not a religious person and I was dissapointed that I missed it. I thought with such an interesting topic they would have done a good job. I guess now I know why they didnt play it during sweeps.

I believe they are going to air it 4 more times, check your local listings.

bang guy

Originally Posted by sig45
well the bible explains that Jesus did raise from the dead and accended to heaven. the way it is explained is that he rose as a man, right or wrong, who knows, i mean he could of just as easly appeared as a spirit, or I like the term holy ghost.
Could he have risen from the dead, lived out the rest of his life and ascended to heaven when his human body died the second time?

watson3

Could he have risen from the dead, lived out the rest of his life and ascended to heaven when his human body died the second time?
Now you are stepping into the other branches of Chrisianity ie. Mormons, Latter Day Saints