**updated** 600 Gallon Pics (first fish)

joshradio

Originally Posted by saltn00b
pretty hippos - do they fight at all?
You could charge money for that!! :hilarious

azfishgal

Frank, those Hippo pictures were just to nice and since the Hippo is my favorite fish I had to steal your pic for my avatar. I just couldn't wait until my tank was set up, then wait long enough to have a Hippo. Hope you don't mind.

frank2005

no problem azfishgal. Glad to be of service. By the way any one have any suggestions on a clean up crew. I plan on ordering one this weekend.

azfishgal

Originally Posted by Frank2005
no problem azfishgal. Glad to be of service. By the way any one have any suggestions on a clean up crew. I plan on ordering one this weekend.
Thanks! I knew you'd understand.

As far as clean up crew? LOTS!
I'm just starting so I'll leave it up to the pros to tell you. But I would imagine snails and cleaner shrimp, but there seems to be different opinions on the hermit crabs. Let's see what everyone else says. ***) Then I'll divide that by 6 and that will be what I need for my tank.
My husband brought home the wood to make the stand today, so construction is underway!

frank2005

yeah i was pretty much counting on lots of snails. Not so sure on hermit crabs as i was pretty sure i read somewhere that they might pick at my clam so if anyone has any suggestion on hermits that are completely reef safe id appreciate it. And i might add four more cleaner shrimp so then id have eight...I LOVE those little guys. They have so much personality

frank2005

i have a question. My yellow tang has sort of faded in color. Does anyone know what may have caused this and if there is anything that i can do "brighten" it back up? Also does anyone have any experience with a black tang? I was thinking about ordering it but its 499.99 and i dont wanna order it and have it croak :thinking:

frank2005

just ordered a brain coral, torch, rock of zoas, and a trumpet coral from *********** and i must say im throughly impressed. I ordered friday and i got them saturday (today) at around 10:30. There was a heating pack in the box to keep the temp stable. They came each in about five bags all blacked out and everything looks perfectly healthy. I give them five stars. Amazing service. Anyhow ill post picture once the lights come on and everything comes out. :cheer:

moose2020

with all the live coral do you have to keep the calcium up and what do you use to do that if anything. what kind of lights do you have looks great

frank2005

yes, you have to keep the calcium up. For the clam, certain snails, brains, hammers, ect. all of which have a hard skeleton need calcium in order to grow. As for keeping it up i have a calcium reactor.

polarbear1

Some where i read That 1 turbo snail pure 20gals not sure where i read this but i had a problem with hair algae. drop 25 in my tank with 50 blue legged hermit crabs gone in a couple of weeks.

azfishgal

Originally Posted by jayeden
impressive, whats do you figure your total cost has been for the entire set up, up to date?
Read through the thread, he already posted it. ($30,000 :scared: )

frank2005

and can someone also give me the normal names for these corals? I have the scientific names. Need it to put on my website.

petjunkie

Red gonipora-first pic
don't know-second pic
bubble tip anemone-third pic
yellow toadstool leather?-fourth pic
don't know on 5th pic-maybe favia
and the last pic looks to be clove polyps
but if it has a red skeleton it's pipe organ coral
Feel free to correct me as I'm just guessing here, not looking anything up. If you post scientific names it would be really easy.

frank2005

i know.....
1st - red goniopora
2nd- (scientific sinularia flexibis)
3rd - bulb tip anenome
4th - (scientific sinularia flexibis)
5th - (scientific astreopora myriophthalma)
6th - (scientific - acropora microclados)
7th - second bulb tip anenome
8th - torch coral
9th - (had picked these up a while ago so dont have scientific name for them)
i ordered from *********** and the packslip gave me the same name for the 2nd and fourth picture. if anyone knows the actual regular names for the ones i dont know i would appreciate it