Updates on new SW tank

woodymdt

Good afternoon everyone,
Well, after a day of visiting a few LFS's and getting loads of opinions and thoughts, we are very close to starting our new tank.
One thing I wanted to ask. On another site I came across a Current Satellite lighting system, 2x96W, with moon lighting, cooling fan, and will fit well on top of my tank. The cost is $180.00, and that's about $65 less than my nearest LFS sells it for.
I'm asking if anyone has had any experience with the Current line of aquarium lighting, and/or heard whether they are good or not to use?
Thanks. Going to give the tank a last going over clean wise, paint the back and start filling it up with sand this evening.

arkey.d

I was going to get a 48" Satellite lighting system, but found out that I would have to change the bulbs for coral. So I went with a Orbit 4x65watt fixture and love it. There is also another brand called Corallife. Doesn't pay to get the Satellite lighting system if you have to change the bulbs. The bulbs are like $65....

woodymdt

Originally posted by arkey.d
I was going to get a 48" Satellite lighting system, but found out that I would have to change the bulbs for coral. So I went with a Orbit 4x65watt fixture and love it. There is also another brand called Corallife. Doesn't pay to get the Satellite lighting system if you have to change the bulbs. The bulbs are like $65....

Change the bulbs that come with the Satellite set? hmm...that doesn't sound good.
Problem I'd have with the Orbit system is having the top open...my cats would be VERY curious??
Satellite Duals come with Dual Actinic (420nm/460nm) and Dual Daylight (6,700K/10,000K) bulbs.
Is that not enough for coral???

arkey.d

They are the bulbs that I have in my Orbit, the Satellite lighting system that I looked at didn't come with those.... so looks like you would be set for soft corals and some LPS corals.

woodymdt

They are the bulbs that I have in my Orbit, the Satellite lighting system that I looked at didn't come with those.... so looks like you would be set for soft corals and some LPS corals.

Whooosh.....:eek: You made my heart jump for a second. I thought I had found a good bargain...hehehehe...
Cool, well if they're the same lights, the satellite system I'm thinking will work better with my setup AND help keep the cats at bay...ALTHOUGH, the Orbit system does look pretty cool...hehe

arkey.d

Don't forget that the legs don't come with the Satellite lighting system you need to buy them seperatly...With the Orbits they are included, not sure about the Corallife.
What I did was use glass canopies for my 55gal and then use the Orbit fixture with the legs that raise it up 4 inches or so.
I got 2 cats to keep at bay, plus a dog and 4 cockatiels :D

woodymdt

Don't forget that the legs don't come with the Satellite lighting system you need to buy them seperatly...With the Orbits they are included, not sure about the Corallife.
I got 2 cats to keep at bay, plus a dog and 4 cockatiels :D

This site was having a sale, and the docking mounts come included, which I thought was a pretty good deal as well.
cockatiels? We saw a beauty at one of the LFS's we visited today.

woodymdt

Arkey, I know you probably have answered this a thousand times, but one more if you don't mind? In your opinion, what is the best cycling process? I don't want to use damsels, would prefer to start adding cured LR about 7-10 days after I get the water temps up and salinity correct?
Or am I thinking about this the wrong way?

arkey.d

I used to breed them, sold about 17 babies. That's great that ya gotta good deal for the Satellite lighting system. Enjoy them, I love the dusk to dawn effect and the lunar lights on mine.

arkey.d

You can add the LiveRock after a day or two. That gives the salt time to disolve and the sand to settle. Get a cocktail shrimp from the grocery store, about 2" without the tail. Pop him in and let him rot. That will kick your cycle off and will save the fish harm.
Happy Hobbying!

woodymdt

that's what we were leaning towards, using the shrimp to kick it off.
Cool beans. We're both excited about it. I had to drag my wife out of the first LFS store, she was so intent on seeing EVERY coral and EVERY fish..hehe.
But then she had to drag me out of the third LFS we visited.

woodymdt

Ok, here is another update. The tank back has been painted (that's a deep blue instead of black, the Mrs. desire won out there), and a DSB has been laid. That's 35lbs of aragonite and I think it looks pretty cool. I'm mixed whether to fill it with whether tonight, or wait till tomorrow...I know, I know...patience....
We'll see how I feel in a little bit.

Ok, can anyone help me out with posting the pics? I want them to show up instead of the links to them...what am I doing wrong?? Lil help mods??

arkey.d

The picture has to be 500 X 500. You go to the attatch file section and click the browse button. Navigate to where your picture is and then double click it. Then post the reply/thread

woodymdt

Ahh...different message boards have different ways of doing it. I'm onto it now. Just have to make sure the pics are 500x500. Thanks ARkey!
Well, here is the tank (I think) without the link.

woodymdt

Wanted to get some opinions. One of the LFS stores we visited today sells RO already mixed water with salt for .75 cents per gallon? Has anyone ever bought this from a local LFS? And if so, did you have any problems with it??

woodymdt

One of the LFS dealers around here sells Gulf LR. Has anyone had any experience with this area of LR? He also sells figi rock and another area I forgot, but I like some of the colors in the Gulf LR, and it had some mussels on it as well.
I'm figuring different regions will bring different critters?? Yes? No?

woodymdt

Good afternoon everyone!!
Here's the latest on the new SW tank venture.
I have added about 25 gallons of RO water, and I added the salt mix. The two powerheads are turned on and aerating and mixing the salt in with the water. The heater is on and it's currently acclimating itself to the habitat, getting to a setting of 76 degrees. Please advise if that is a good temp to start with.
I plan on letting the powerheads run for a couple days to fully integrate the salt into the water, and allow the tank to settle on the temperature, then I'll test SG and other water tests before adding LR, hopefully on Thursday evening.
If I'm missing any steps, please point them out to me.
Currently with the salt churning around the tank, the water is very cloudy, I'm assuming that will change as the salt fully melds with the water??
:jumping:

arkey.d

Sounds like a good plan, although a day or two would surfice for the salt to dissolve, but what ever works with you. The cloudiness will go away as your sand settles and your salt dissolves. You can turn on your power filter after a day or two also...

woodymdt

Thanks Arkey, sounds like a plan.
Only thing stopping as far as LR is timing. I will not be able to get the LR Tuesday or Wednesday because of prior obligations, so Thursday is the next available time to go and get it. I'll probably get about 10lbs of base, then 10-15lbs of LR to start, get a nice basic setup going, then a few days after I'll get another 10-20lbs of LR and hopefully finish the LR setup.
I'll throw in the shrimp when I get my first load of LR in the tank.
I had forgotten about the power filter...my bad. I'll add it tomorrow when I get home from work and get it started as well.
Here is the tank as it sets now. I'll raise the powerheads and the heater a bit when I get the LR in and top off the tank. I wanted to leave some room for the water displacement when I put the rock in, correct??:jumping: