Updates on new SW tank

woodymdt

Good deal. I'm trying to stick to a few guidelines that I've read and found sensible. A few others and you specifically Arkey.d, have expressed quite a bit of knowledge and helpfulness in my venture. For that I am obliged to you.

M

mike6969n

i am glad to see pics of a tank that is just getting started i just started mine a couple of days ago and well when i compare mine to yours they are about the same, except i already have the pumps and lr in mine. nice to see that i am doing it right. btw arkey.d has been a great source of information from me also in setting up. he is great. listen to him he knows what he is talking about. he has become my main source of information. he is very friendly and quick to respond to your questions. hope you have fun with your new swa i sure am. it is a really fun hobbby to have and i am looking forward to seeing the end result. see ya around keep us posted mike

woodymdt

I did have a question creep into my head Arkey!
I have a 20lb bag of live sand?? Arag-Live?
Should I put that in before, during, or after I put the LR in??
It's moist so I didn't want to do anything with it until I had salt water in the tank.

woodymdt

Originally posted by arkey.d
You can add it before or after, what ever is best for you.

Ok, by adding it now, is that going to kill off most of or all of the bacteria that is in the sand? I was thinking by adding it now, the sand would have a little more time to settle before I start adding LR.
Also, by adding bacteria, that's going to kick off a cycle yes? IF I start a cycle now and THEN add LR, is that not going to disrupt the cycle and start another one over??

arkey.d

LiveSand that's packaged in water doesn't create a sandstorm when you add it to the aquarium. You can add your sand now as long as the aquarium is heated and you have the right Specific gravity.
Or just add it the day you get the LiveRock and then you'll have the LiveSand and the LiveRock in the tank the same day and then you can add your cocktail shrimp.

woodymdt

Ok, well I'm going to hold off another day on the live sand then. I have the hydrometer needle seasoning for 24 hours in saltwater...so it'll be tomorrow evening before I can measure the SG. Once I get a reading, then I'll add the sand, and rock soon after that.

woodymdt

Originally posted by jdotg
you on your way. good stuff.

Thanks JD. I'm trying to be as attentive as I can on this, as I want to get it started correctly. With the help of the SWF veterans, I feel a little more confident about it all the time.

calylove

Hey Guys I started my 90 wave tank on Fri night Sat morning. I've been reading over your shoulder so to speak, and I have to say thank you for the info. You guys are great, and more help then the LFS. Two questions though, what did you mean by "season" the hydrometer, and whats the procedure for the cocktail shrimp? One more, I have a twenty thats been up for about 10 months (one large clown, snowflake eel, and lr/ls) I never did any of these cool tricks so it was a lot of trial and error, but with the size of this tank being 90, i want to do it right. When can I bring the rock etc from the old 20 over to the new tank?
Thanks for all the help.

woodymdt

The instructions on my hydrometer stated that the needle needed to be seasoned before it was used so I filled it up and set it in one of my totes for 24 hours. Tonight I'll be able to take my first SG reading.

arkey.d

Caylove, welcome to the forum!
For a 90gal I would but 2 2" Cocktail Shrimp without the tail from the grocery store and place them in your tank to start the cycling process. Just pop them in and let them rot.
As far as your liverock/ livesand you can move them over when your new tank is heated and it has the proper specific gravity and pumps/filters are going.

sammiefish

why without the tail?
I would use raw whole shrimp... but cooked or uncooked, with or without the shell or tail should also work fine...
I think that critters would also eat the shell...

arkey.d

It just the way to measure how big the cocktail shrimp should be... instead of saying small, medium, large....

woodymdt

We got a couple shrimp at the grocery store yesterday, will plop them in when we set our first LR in.
Some plans have changed today, and the Mrs. and I might just go to our LFS in town and pick out about 10-20lb of LR after work and get it started!!!!!
:jumping:

calylove

arkey- you rock. thanks for all the advice you post for us newbies. One question still, cooked cocktail shrimp or raw cocktail shrimp. They have both at the store. Thanks again. And do I jsut let them rot completely away, how long will that take? Thanks again, again

sammiefish

just my 2c.... why wait for your LR?.... really no need to...in fact you might get throught the cycle sooner.. (calendar date not necessarily length of cycle)

woodymdt

I set the powerheads in the corners of the tank, and they're churning the water pretty good. One question though. They are making some boroughs in the sand, and moving the sand...is that ok? Or should I raise the stream so it doesn't move the sand as much?
Also, I'm assuming that will stop some when I get the LR set in, so maybe I should wait until after the LR is setup to better get an idea as to where the flow should go??
Also, has anyone use the wavemaker outlets? I hear they are pretty cool...