Upgrading my 65 gallon Reef - Sump/fuge

al&burke

Well my RS-Xtreme 160 SWC Mini Cone Protein Skimmer is here, but I got home too late, post office is closed - I might be able to get it tomorrow if I don't I will have to wait till saturday, I am going away on a business trip to Virginia, :(

al&burke

Well I got it - I came home early enough. Looks really good and solid. Fit perfectly into the stand though the front opening - so at least I will be able to get it out for cleaning, I was worried about that. The collection cup has enough room for removal as well. Really happy with the quality of it, can't wait to start her up, probably another week. Here are some shots for ya all.

2quills

Great pics, Al! It looks like right at home under the stand. Congrats on it's arrival! Can't wait to see some nice frothy brew bubblin under there.

al&burke

Thanks Corey, I can't believe how it fit so well, and honestly all I was working on was the footprint. 1/2" to spare to get it in without having to take the top off the stand, I am going to like having a good skimmer for a change.

al&burke

So the last thing on my list is automatic top off, I have been running a float switch on my 65 galleon FW planted tank. The float switch is in the return section of the sump. I bought a 18 gallon rubbermaid tall trash can for the reservoir. I know a lot of you run an ATO with the level switches but why not a float switch with a gravity fed supply. Just throwing some options out there. Thanks Al
do any of you run a float switc

spanko

I actually run 2 floats. One that turns the pump on when the water is low, and one to turn the pump off it the other gets stuck for some reason.

acrylic51

I agree with Henry's thinking!!!! Use of 2 for redundancy. Any type of float or level switch could become stuck or fail, but 2 is a better option. If you prefer to gravity feed I would just make sure that if the float did fail, that the amount of water added to the tank wouldn't through my levels completely out of whack. Personally I prefer optical sensors though.

al&burke

Yes - I agree with you both with the backup, I travel a lot peace of mind is worth everything. I went on the site ATO.com I wish that swf.com sold them - you go to the double sump set up, when you order that does it come with the controller as well - I am a little confused with the site, has anyone else ordered from them.

al&burke

Update ordered the ATO should get it next week - going to Buffalo on the weekend I can pick it up then. Thanks for the convincing guys.

2quills

Hey welcome back from your trip. Sounds like more goodies are on the way which means more pics. Cool beans!
Any word on if you're still coming down to south texas this year?

al&burke

Thanks Corey - once I have everything in place I will finally have something that will be consistent for the fish and corals, I was at the LFS yesterday they had a nice dwarf zebra lionfish but no fuzzies yet. The top off will be nice no more topping off the tank manually evey other day. Today I am going to start taking it apart finally. I haven't heard any more word on South Texas yet, you never know though.

al&burke

I know I talked about it a bit before but do you guys run sand in your fuges, I am not going to run a deep sand bed - I was thinking a couple of inches anyways, thanks Al

al&burke

I can't find my camera cable, I got everything out of the 65 and into the totes, I set up a 10 gallon for the cleaner shrimp and all the snails. Everything went really well my house is upside down. Tomorrow I will empty the sand out of the 65 and drill the tank (sorry Scott) and paint the back black. I found some fusion krylon in a can. The three tote set up is working great with the FX5 pumping the water I have both anemones positioned so they will get good light. The lights are over two of the three totes. I will try to post some pictures tomorrow.