Upgrading my 65 gallon Reef - Sump/fuge

2quills

Kicking around some ideas on a fixture for your lion tank. What's the depth of the tank? Is it a breeder...16" maybe?

al&burke

Finally i did a few hours of work tonight. Plumbing and a little fix up to the 65 reef canopy. Below are some pictures of the 40 breeder next to the 65 reef - I am thinking it could be raised 3 or 4 inches higher - I am going to have a small canopy on the 40 breeder. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks Al

2quills

I like it. You're thinking about raising the breeder? I think it would look good either way. What do you think about that knife valve?

al&burke

I hope they work OK, this one just fits under the stand it is the flow control for the ATS. I might just leave the 40 breeder at this height. Hey Corey another thing I am going to do is build a top up tank on top of the conpy against the wall. What do you think?

al&burke

It would be about 15 gallons - the lights stay on top of the tank and the canopy goes around it. The whole canopy hinges open for doing maintenance. I never could close the canopy before this upgrade after I added the third set of lights. I had to do a bit of tweeking on the canopy in order for it to close. I am really happy I didn't have to make a new one.

2quills

That's always a good thing. It's a great design. Yeah, if you don't think it will hurt the canopy then I don't see why not do a tank up there. Unless it's going to be hard to fill. I take it your thinking of just doing a gravity feed instead of a pump?

al&burke

I was originally thinking of gravity fed but then I bought an ATO unit. I use a gravity fed on my 65 planted tank without any problems, keep our fingers crossed. As you know salt is a different thing. I could use the ATO on my horse tank build. I will have to think about this. As far as filling this reservior I already have a 3/8 line from my RO unit to the back of this tank. Do you think 15 gallons would be enough. Thanks buddy.

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al&Burke http:///forum/thread/383256/upgrading-my-65-gallon-reef-sump-fuge/240#post_3372729
I was originally thinking of gravity fed but then I bought an ATO unit. I use a gravity fed on my 65 planted tank without any problems, keep our fingers crossed. As you know salt is a different thing. I could use the ATO on my horse tank build. I will have to think about this. As far as filling this reservior I already have a 3/8 line from my RO unit to the back of this tank. Do you think 15 gallons would be enough. Thanks buddy.
I'm thinking it should at least get you a couple of weeks between refills.

acrylic51

Very nice work Al....Love the knife valves.....Have you looked at the LiteMeters or dosing/metering pump for your top off needs?

al&burke

Thanks Shawn, I am finally getting somewhere with this, maybe by the weekend i will have water in these tanks . The top off pump I haven't thought of anything yet - But I am open for suggestions - I was even thinking of putting a container in the basement and pump it up. If i have a line going up from the basement how do you stop the line from siphoning - I guess the supply line should be above the working level of the sump. Am I right?

gemmy

Al, this is coming along nicely. I think you have taught me a few things in this thread that will help me when I upgrade my system.