Upgrading my 65 gallon Reef - Sump/fuge

2quills

Looks pretty good to me, Al. It does feel like it's missing a little something though, maybe a couple of larger pieces of rock...not sure.

al&burke

I still have three large rocks they have the anemonies and the monti coral on it. The shelve to the left I want to leave for a crocea clam. Thanks Corey keep posted.

al&burke

Well I have it full of water the 65 and the sump only - I put the Fluval FX5 on just for now till things clear up. Hope to get the sump only circulating tonight. I will put the light up and post some pictures.

al&burke

Well here are some more pictures - I don't know about it yet - I have to work on the left side and the fluval will only be in for a couple days. Please let me know what you think. Thanks Al

teresaq

ok, I didnt want ot hurt your feelings, but YES it looks like a brick wall. maybe turn a couple of those flat ones on thier side and make a cave.

spanko

I'll go in the other direction here. I like all of the shelf work you have. When placing coral here you have many spots to do so and as they grow in they will cover the rock.

al&burke

Thank you everyone, I few of the larger rocks at the base are going to go in the 40 breeder - it is not filled yet. I like the fact that there are a lot of places for coral and that will take away from the brick wall look, my feelings would never be hurt you guys are the experts. I am going away for a few days so the rest will have to wait till the weekend - then I will start up the fuge and skimmer and everything else. And once everything is good making sure the cycle is still going strong I will add the poor fish who have been waiting patiently to go back home. I am still going to tweek a few of the rocks tonight.
ANother question are anemones alright with lionfish. I have two since my BTA split. DOn't want two in my reef.
Thanks again!!

teresaq

I do agree with the other two, that you will have lots of places to place corals, and most of the rock will be covered once your corals grow out

al&burke

I am liking it more today - I have a few rocks I want to move. The tank is sparkling the FX5 really does a great job cleaning the water - mechanically - but nitrates another story. Not doing much tonight cleaning up my house has looked like a plumbing shop for the past week or two. THere are about 6 turbo snails in the tank and the brisstle star they seem to be doing ok if I have time tonight I will check the parameters.

al&burke

Thanks Gemmy - I am really starting to like it. It is amazing how quick you can use up rock, I bought another 40 lbs of the shelve rock - had 40 lbs originally and about 20 or 20 from Christmas time. I thought I was going to have enough for the 40 breeder, but I guess not. Here are some new shots from tonight, I change aroud the left side I like it much better, I have the fuge full now but not running with the sump, I am going to run the FX5 for a few more days.

al&burke

Funny picture - my Jack Russel terrier does not like the cheato tumbling in the fuge, others would disagree.

btldreef

HAHAHA! Our Rat Terrier growls when I feed the tank.
I'm liking the rock work a lot! It's coming along nicely

slice

I agree with Spanko on the rockwork, looks like a reefer's delight! Especially once it gets full of coral. I also love the large fuge and beautiful stand you have there.