WE CAN DROP our Gas prices!!!

B

bonita69

This made since and I think could work!! This is bull about how high our gas is and there is no resason for it. Please read WE CAN DO THIS and it is easy!
Subject: Dropping Gas Prices
THIS IS NOT THE 'DON'T BUY' GAS FOR ONE DAY, BUT IT WILL SHOW YOU HOW WE CAN GET GAS BACK DOWN TO $1.30 PER GALLON.
This was sent by a retired Coca Cola executive. It came from one of his engineer buddies who retired from Halliburton. If you are tired of the gas prices going up AND they will continue to rise this summer, take time to read this please.
Phillip Hollsworth offered this good idea.
This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy g as on a certain day" campaign that was going around last April or May!
It's worth your consideration. Join the resistance!!!!
I hear we are going to hit close to $ 4.00 a gallon by next summer, and it might go higher!! Want gasoline prices to come down?
We need to take some intelligent, united action. The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to "hurt" ourselves by refusing to buy gas.
It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them.
BUT, whoever thought of this idea has come up with a plan that can really work. Please read on and join with us!
By now you're probably thinking gasoline priced at about $2.00 is super cheap. Me too! It is currently $3.19 for regular unleaded in my town.
Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a gallon of gas is CHEAP at $1.50 - $1.75, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace..not sellers.
With the price of gasoline going up more each day, we consumers need to take action.
The only way we are going to see the price of gas come down is if we hit someone in the pocketbook by not purchasing their gas! And, we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves.
How? Since we all rely on our cars, we can't just stop buying gas. But we CAN have an impact on gas prices if we all act together to force a price war.
Here's the idea: For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY gasoline from the two biggest companies (which now are one), EXXON and MOBIL.
If they are not selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit.
But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Exxon and Mobil gas buyers. It's really simple to do! Now, don't wimp out on me at this point...keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!
I am sending this note to 30 people. If each of us send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300) ... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x10 = 3,000)...and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth group of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers.
If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted!
If it goes one level further, you guessed it..... THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!
Again, all you have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all!
(If you don't understand how we can reach 300 million and all you have to do is send this to 10 people.... Well, let's face it, you just aren't a mathematician. But I am . so trust me on this one.
How long would all that take? If each of us sends this e-mail out t o ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days !!!
I'll bet you didn't think you and I had that much potential, did you! Acting together we can make a difference.
If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on. I suggest that we not buy from EXXON/MOBIL UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE $2.00 RANGE AND KEEP THEM DOWN. THIS CAN REALLY WORK.
Keep it going!!!

ophiura

First, as this is a spam email chain letter, I am uneasy keeping it at all. I would prefer the board not be a place to promote chain letters.
This is a joke. It is unworkable. It demonstrates a complete lack of understanding of the oil industry and gas market. IT CAN NOT WORK if people have any even remote understanding of a market economy and the oil industry.
I would also point out that many of your fellow Americans are employed by the oil industry so BY ALL MEANS please put them out of business and pick up the tab on their unemployment claims.
http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/gasout.asp
But before I go on some tirade...let's just go to snopes

Oh and this is good too
http://www.berkeleybubble.org/2007/0...xxon-or-mobil/

reefraff

OK. so lets assume everybody didn't buy from Exxon. Other companies demands would skyrocket and they obviously do not have the production or refining capacity to keep up. Oil and gas shortages insue and all the other companies turn to the most readily available supply. EXXON! Now exxon has a product that is in high demand which has caused the market price to skyrocket. If Exxon were to simply cease production the government would prosecut them for price fixing.

B

bonita69

Yes I see the point of both sides. I can afford my gas but how many can't?
How does one work when they can not get there because the tank is empty and so is the bank. Something needs to be done that is all I know. Mass transit is cheaper yet many cities don't even offer it.

m0nk

Oil is a highly traded commodity and it's even become a sort of currency. People are investing in oil in the way they would have invested in stocks and bonds 10 years ago. The price at the pump cannot be affected by demand nearly as much as some people thing because of the oil trade.
Also, the price of oil is tied to the dollar, so if you want to do anything to lower oil prices, spend more money. Stimulating the US economy is one of the quickest and most effective ways to lower the cost of gas. AND, something that many people don't think about, ethanol is NOT the answer to high gas prices. Ethanol burns faster (meaning lower mpg) than gasoline, so if you buy gas that's spiked with ethanol, you'll get lower gas mileage. The problem there too is that you're not spending less on that gas, it's marketed at the same price as any other gasoline at the pump.

R

rcreations

The only way to fight the oil companies is to come up with a new fuel source and do this worldwide, not just in a few spots. That's it. Nothing else will work. And coming up with hybrid cars will only increase the gas prices as the oil companies will ask for more in order to make what they did before. It's greed and the only solution is a new fuel source.

1journeyman

There are only two ways to lower gas prices:
1. Dramatically increase global supply
2. Dramatically decrease global
demand
As long as oil futures are traded as a global commodity the price will fluctuate and bounce depending on day-to-day events.

fishycpa

Originally Posted by bonita69
http:///forum/post/2532835
Yes I see the point of both sides. I can afford my gas but how many can't?
How does one work when they can not get there because the tank is empty and so is the bank. Something needs to be done that is all I know. Mass transit is cheaper yet many cities don't even offer it.
Not to turn this into a political thread, but so what? Motorcycles, scooters, bikes, car-pooling, not buying a car you can't afford so you CAN pay for gas, etc. Don't tell me that people "can't get to work".

socal57che

Originally Posted by fishyCPA
http:///forum/post/2532880
Not to turn this into a political thread, but so what? Motorcycles, scooters, bikes, car-pooling, not buying a car you can't afford so you CAN pay for gas, etc. Don't tell me that people "can't get to work".

People who "can't get to work" are too lazy to work in the first place. America has become the land of the lazy and the home of the whiners.

ophiura

Originally Posted by RCreations
http:///forum/post/2532853
The only way to fight the oil companies is to come up with a new fuel source and do this worldwide, not just in a few spots. That's it. Nothing else will work. And coming up with hybrid cars will only increase the gas prices as the oil companies will ask for more in order to make what they did before. It's greed and the only solution is a new fuel source.
I disagree this is "greed." I disagree that it explains the price of gas. And why would alternative fuels work? If it is greed, that knows no bounds. Then there will be greed in corn, greed in wind, greed in water.
I spent $4 the other day for a coffee at starbucks. Want to calculate the gallon rate? How about for sodas, or bottled water, or milk?
How about inkjet ink? Many of you know that it costs, what, $8,000 a gallon for that ink?
For example, could it be sheer arrogance that we live in a country and want to grow corn to produce fuel to burn in cars when there are people dying of starvation in the world? Is there a dilemma there?

bang guy

I keep hearing about people harping on "corporate greed". For publicly traded corporations board members are required, by law, to base their decisions on what will earn the shareholders the most return in a legal manner. If this is corporate greed then every publicly traded company in the U.S. is guilty.

mfp1016

Originally Posted by socal57che
http:///forum/post/2532888

People who "can't get to work" are too lazy to work in the first place. America has become the land of the lazy and the home of the whiners.

America has no work ethic anymore, its gross.

mfp1016

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
http:///forum/post/2532903
I keep hearing about people harping on "corporate greed". For publicly traded corporations board members are required, by law
, to base their decisions on what will earn the shareholders the most return in a legal manner. If this is corporate greed then every publicly traded company in the U.S. is guilty.
Oil companies are expensive to operate too. I don't know what people don't get so angry at Wal-Mart, clothing companies, soda, what have you...

bang guy

Originally Posted by ophiura
http:///forum/post/2532895
For example, could it be sheer arrogance that we live in a country and want to grow corn to produce fuel to burn in cars when there are people dying of starvation in the world? Is there a dilemma there?

Have you noticed the price of wheat lately? Before long a loaf of store brand bread will cost more than a gallon of gas.
This is a direct result of converting wheat fields to corn fields to produce ethanol.

mgatdog

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
http:///forum/post/2532903
I keep hearing about people harping on "corporate greed". For publicly traded corporations board members are required, by law
, to base their decisions on what will earn the shareholders the most return in a legal manner. If this is corporate greed then every publicly traded company in the U.S. is guilty.
They are GUILTY.

mgatdog

As of 8/2000 when I moved into the new home. I installed a 1000 gal fuel tank for heating oil .It cost 987.00 to fill.Today at current price of heating oil it would cost me 4100.00.
Second house payment anyone.

ophiura

Do you want to list what has happened in the world, in particular in oil producing countries, since 2000?

rudedog40

One fallacy to your theory is Mobil and Exxon don't just distribute gas through their stations. Alot of Mom and Pop stores use both companies to get their gas. I think Costco and Sam's uses Mobil or Exxon gas, but puts in their specific additives to make it 'their version' of fuel.
As others has stated, many of the products we use everyday have gone through the roof on their prices. You have a problem paying $4.00/gallon for milk? It's hard to find a six-pack of beer for under $7.00 these days. So putting it into perspective, gas really isn't anymore expensive than other products we rely on. People just complain about it more because everyone is so dependent on gasoline to get around in their daily lives.
If you want to get the gas prices back down to some sort of reality, lobby your government to get away from relying so much on foreign oil. There's still enough oil supply within and around the 48 states to provide fuel for the US for over 100 years. The Federal Government just doesn't want to pump it out in fear that if we do lose complete access to foreign oil, we have that oil in reserve. My cousin owns several hundred acres in Northeast Texas that he has full mineral rights to. He has four pumps on one of his 600 acre properties that can easily pump 100 barrels per day, but the federal regulations limit him to less than 40 barrels per day. They also deter him from pumping too much out by not paying him the going rate for a barrel of oil. He didn't tell me specifically what he gets, but he said it's nowhere near the $100+ you see OPEC selling it for. Just another way the government is keeping US production down.

ophiura

I agree, decrease in dependence on foriegn oil is critical. There is A LOT of oil around the US. Many areas in the US are off limits to drilling. I would say if you want cheaper oil, then you allow drilling. It is not a case of getting your cake and eating it too...wanting cheap gas but not the drilling or refineries. This sort of hipocrasy, IMO, has become something of the American way.