Well I might as well do it too...PrevWon's new tank diary

prevwon

Thanks!
I am going to work on my stand tomorrow. I am planning on sanding it, and I am going to try to stain it tomorrow. I will get pictures up when I am done. I won't put the doors on until later.
I am having trouble deciding on when to actually set up my tank. I had originally planned on ordering my LR this week and setting everything up this weekend, but this summer I am going to Oklahoma for about a month and a half. I leave here June 12th. I'm pretty sure my cycle would be done by then, but I don't want to not be here to keep up with it. I will come back around August 10th or so. Do you think I should go ahead and get everything set up before I leave, or wait until I get back to do it? Let me know what you think.
I will update tomorrow!

azfishgal

Originally Posted by PrevWon
I won't put the doors on until later.
Styrofoam doors work great in a pinch.
I'm still waiting for the doors from my father-in-law. He lives in CA, so even when he gets them done, I'm not sure when I'll actually see them. But the styrofoam really cut down on the sound (just make sure to have one cracked open a bit, so it doesn't get to hot and steamy in the stand). You can get them in the insulation area at Home Depot.

As far as leaving your tank for over a month, you'll need someone to take care of it for you. Young tanks need more attention than established tanks and of course you can't forget about the water evap that will occur every day. I lose 1.5 gallons a day. So it's up to you if you have someone trustworthy to take care of it. I did leave my tank soon after it cycled for a week and I had written out instructions on what to do. All I had in my tank though was the clean up crew, so no worries on feeding them because they had a pretty big job to do while I was gone. My other tanks I had food measured out in Dixie cups so I would not have to worry about the person over feeding them (big problem with tank babysitters).

renogaw

Thanks!
I am going to work on my stand tomorrow. I am planning on sanding it, and I am going to try to stain it tomorrow. I will get pictures up when I am done. I won't put the doors on until later.
I am having trouble deciding on when to actually set up my tank. I had originally planned on ordering my LR this week and setting everything up this weekend, but this summer I am going to Oklahoma for about a month and a half. I leave here June 12th. I'm pretty sure my cycle would be done by then, but I don't want to not be here to keep up with it. I will come back around August 10th or so. Do you think I should go ahead and get everything set up before I leave, or wait until I get back to do it? Let me know what you think.
I will update tomorrow!

unless you have someone who will keep up with your water changes and a way to replenish the water from the evaporation, i'd wait until you're back to start it up. It's only a month longer, and believe me you'll be worried about it that whole 1.5 months your gone.

prevwon

You have a good point...I am going to wait until I get back to set everything up. I'm still going to finish my stand, basically do everything but set up the tank...
I guess I started my diary too early...

rebelprettyboy

oh no you didint start it to early. At least you can have more time to save up money for more things for your tank when do you get around to setting it up

prevwon

That's true, and the best part is is that I am going to Oklahoma to do an internship at my dad's company. I will be working the entire time I am there from 8-5 so I will have quite a bit of money when I get back.

prevwon

Originally Posted by fastazzr1
thats a nice tank....

Thanks!
I have a couple of questions:
1. When you do a water change, do you stir up the sand to get all the crap out or just take out the water?
2. What is a good brand of lighting for corals and coralline growth?
I am looking at getting some good lighting once I get back from Oklahoma.

fastazzr1

Thanks!
1. When you do a water change, do you stir up the sand to get all the crap out or just take out the water?
2. What is a good brand of lighting for corals?
i just change the water and i dont do corals so i wouldnt know but im sure somebody on here knows. but you have a really nice tank though.

prevwon

Thanks!
2. What is a good brand of lighting for corals and coralline growth?
Anyone?

cyclops

to do a water change you just take out the water and replace with the new water, but you must make sure the temp and salinity match your tanks water.I do a 40 gallon water change once a month and when I do it I take the water from m sump and at the same time I clean the filters and the heaters and anything else in the sump.
The lights I have are really good for the money but most people have mix feeling about them but I have had them for 7 months now and no problems. I have Odyssea lights 785w 72" and they only cost me $480 another good lighting system is Coralife but they are really expensive. Do a search on this site for Odyssea and see for yourself.

katz

You can also go retrofit and save big bucks. I have Coralvue bulbs 14k 250, Spider reflecters and Icecap ballest. They were around 230 each shipped.
Katz

azaintcold

Originally Posted by Katz
You can also go retrofit and save big bucks. I have Coralvue bulbs 14k 250, Spider reflecters and Icecap ballest. They were around 230 each shipped.
Katz

I have the exact same set up. works great.

azfishgal

Are you supposed to use any chemicals whatsoever in your tank?
The only thing I put in my tank is Turbo Calcium and Superbuffer-dkH (to bring my pH and alk up).

prevwon

Awesome, thanks for the info. I am about to order a feeding stick and another power head...and I did some more work on my stand today. Mostly sanding...