What is this?!?!?!

engine_24

This is a dup. thread. Sorry, but I need to get an answer asap!
I just got this slug over the weekend from the LFS, and when I got home from work I saw this! I removed him from the DT and stuck in isolation in a 3 gallon pico because if he is dying I don't want him to nuke my tank. The weird thing is that the thing coming out his back is moving!! Any idea what this is????

cranberry

Maybe flip it over and see how it moves.... it looks like it's on it's back.
And look up Bursatella leachii.

bang guy

That right there is an extremely odd creature. It has the features of a Sessile Cucumber plus a Sea Pen plus a Nudibranch.
I've never seen anything like it.

cranberry

Oh sorry Bang... I went to check spelling and went back to edit my post.
It's a "Blue Dot Sea Hare".

engine_24

Originally Posted by Cranberry
http:///forum/post/3216940
Maybe flip it over and see how it moves.... it looks like it's on it's back.
And look up Bursatella leachii.
pick what up? The slug, or the alien coming out if it's back? The thing definitely is moving. My clown came up and gave it a love bite in my DT and it retracted.

meowzer

Originally Posted by engine_24
http:///forum/post/3216951
pick what up? The slug, or the alien coming out if it's back? The thing definitely is moving. My clown came up and gave it a love bite in my DT and it retracted.
In the new pics it looks like it is climbing the glass.....is it?
When you bought it, did they not know what it was

maybe it's giving birth....it is freaky looking

cranberry

I don't know what that is hangng off it. A stress seahare can sometime spew innards. But it's definitely a Blue dot.

engine_24

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3216956
In the new pics it looks like it is climbing the glass.....is it?
When you bought it, did they not know what it was

maybe it's giving birth....it is freaky looking
Ya, in the second set of pics it is climbing the glass. They called it a blue spotted sea slug. After some research, I found it is called a Ragged Sea Hare. It appears to eat algae the same as any snail would, because the first 2 days it was all over the algae on the sides of the tank.

engine_24

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3216964
So is it possible something attacked it???
That's what I thought initially, but then I saw in contract when my Percula swam up to it and gave it a little nip. I initially thought it was spewing out its insides, but it looks like a mini slug is coming out. And the host/possible mama is still moving around the tank with it like nothing is going on.

meowzer

Originally Posted by engine_24
http:///forum/post/3216973
That's what I thought initially, but then I saw in contract when my Percula swam up to it and gave it a little nip. I initially thought it was spewing out its insides, but it looks like a mini slug is coming out. And the host/possible mama is still moving around the tank with it like nothing is going on.
WELL....I will be very interested to see how this turns out....I hope you keep us informed

engine_24

Lengthy, but I found this online about their reproduction cycle
The larval biology of Bursatella leachii had previously been poorly studied, largely due to lack of success at rearing specimens in the laboratory (Henry 1952, Bebbington 1969). More recently, research findings by Paige (1988) have provided more detail on larval and postlarval development. This work is summarized here.
Under laboratory culture conditions at 25°C, animals hatch out as planktotrophic larvae approximately a week after egg masses have been laid. Newly hatched veligers lack eyes and possess a pair of sensory statocysts at the base of the foot. Individuals are negatively geotropic and they maintain themselves in the water column by swimming using a well-developed velum.
Growth of the planktonic larvae after hatching is rapid. Veligers attain maximum size approximately 15 days after hatching, and metamorphic competency is reached at 19 days posthatch. Paige (1988) notes that this is the shortest known larval duration for aplysiids possessing planktonic larvae.
Competent B. leachii metamorphose to take up a juvenile existence on the species of cyanobacteria that they will utilize as food, such as Microcoleus lyngbyaceus (now Lyngbya majuscula). Individuals that are competent to metamorphose are capable of delaying settlement for as much as 2.5 months until a suitable settlement substratum (i.e., blue-green algae from the Family Oscillatoriaceae) is encountered.
Upon settlement, an individual will attach to the substratum via mucus threads and retract into the shell to metamorphose. The process takes 1-2 days. Within a day of metamorphosis, postlarvae are seen crawling across the substratum ingesting food with a radula that is already well developed.
Postlarval growth is rapid. The shell stops growing when individuals reach 2.5-3 mm length, and between 15-20 days post-settlement the vestigial shell is discarded. By this time, the juvenile begins to resemble the adult in appearance, including the presence of rudiments along the body that will become the fleshy papillae. At this time, the juvenile also has the ability to discharge a small cloud of ink if irritated (Paige 1988).